Premed 101 Forums

UWO pass/fail question

Hello everyone,

I am currently a nursing student and as such I have plenty of pass/fail courses. UWO's requirement state that the maximum pass/fail courses accepted in a year considered for GPA is 1.0 full year course.

I attend McMaster currently and this year I'll have a total of 7 units of pass/fail (at McMaster, 6 units is equivalent to 1.0 Western credit). My question is if I overload my credits to have 26 graded units (equivalent to just over 4.0 Western credits) would this year be considered for GPA? I have another full time year I plan on using as well.

My rationale stems from the following: with the limit of 1.0 pass/fail credits, they would be sampling a GPA from 4.0 credits - I would have more than 4.0.

Any help you could provide would be great! I've emailed admissions, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am currently a nursing student and as such I have plenty of pass/fail courses. UWO's requirement state that the maximum pass/fail courses accepted in a year considered for GPA is 1.0 full year course.

I attend McMaster currently and this year I'll have a total of 7 units of pass/fail (at McMaster, 6 units is equivalent to 1.0 Western credit). My question is if I overload my credits to have 26 graded units (equivalent to just over 4.0 Western credits) would this year be considered for GPA? I have another full time year I plan on using as well.

My rationale stems from the following: with the limit of 1.0 pass/fail credits, they would be sampling a GPA from 4.0 credits - I would have more than 4.0.

Any help you could provide would be great! I've emailed admissions, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

I have seen that work before - just of course don't put yourself in a situation where the grades suffer etc :)

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

I had a somewhat similar situation, and they seemed fine with extra pass/fail so long as you have enough graded courses for thr year. Definitely try to get the ok from the school, but I think your plan is the right course of action.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

I'm actually in the same boat you are. A nursing student at McMaster trying to figure out how I can get enough non pass/fail credits for UWO....

I'm actually in the same boat you are. A nursing student at McMaster trying to figure out how I can get enough non pass/fail credits for UWO....

They certainly don't make it easy for us! Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Have you thought of any other ideas on how to accomplish this without setting back progression in the BScN?

• 2 weeks later...
They certainly don't make it easy for us! Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Have you thought of any other ideas on how to accomplish this without setting back progression in the BScN?

I honestly have no idea, I am starting to think that UWO is out of the question for me. I really don't think I would be able to overload that many courses each semester, and I don't think summer courses are counted. I wish these clinical courses were letter grades and not pass/fail! Would make things much easier.

Archived