Premed 101 Forums

Updated Residency Specialty Profiles on CMA

k508

I was looking at the updated residency specialty profiles on the CMA website (http://www.cma.ca/becoming-a-physician) and I've found some things surprising. I'm quite interested in IM, specifically general IM. It says in there that:

Average gross clinical earnings for General Internal Medicine in 2011/12 (those earning at least $60,000) = $387,967

If you look at the subspecialties that fall under IM they all list the same income. Do you think general internists actually make this much, or is this an accurate approx. because of the subspecialties. I thought they made WAY less than this.

Please don't hate on me for asking about income. That's truly not my sole driver in choosing a specialty and I think it's completely reasonable to be curious.

Thanks.

I was looking at the updated residency specialty profiles on the CMA website (http://www.cma.ca/becoming-a-physician) and I've found some things surprising. I'm quite interested in IM, specifically general IM. It says in there that:

Average gross clinical earnings for General Internal Medicine in 2011/12 (those earning at least $60,000) = $387,967

If you look at the subspecialties that fall under IM they all list the same income. Do you think general internists actually make this much, or is this an accurate approx. because of the subspecialties. I thought they made WAY less than this.

Please don't hate on me for asking about income. That's truly not my sole driver in choosing a specialty and I think it's completely reasonable to be curious.

Thanks.

Nonacademic general internists probably bill more. If you take out the people who work part time, the average jumps up quite a bit. Also the subspecialties that are probably included in that title bring the average down, meaning Endo, Geriatrics, Rheum etc...Most community GIM people do a lot of Cardio and Resp in their practice (stress tests, Holters, PFTs, EKG billings) and sometimes perhaps cover small ICUs too so that beefs up billings by quite a lot.

Also CTU can potentially bill quite a bit (something like 15-20K/week for a 30 patient census). So its actually quite lucrative if you work hard.

It says that the figure for internal medicine includes billing by all subspecialties. That being said, I do question the reliability of these numbers, as it lists the average billing by radiology as only $325k. Thanks for pointing out that an update to the CMA specialty profiles were updated though, some interesting things added to each specialty.

Archived