Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

Well if I get one. Ill post my 3.71.

*Cue the rejection*

But in all seriousness, I know 2 people this year with wGPAs below 3.75 with interviews and one person matriculated last year with a 3.55.

It happens.. but youre application has to be pretty damn strong.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think the main thing that is throwing off everyone's logic is that the sample population we have on this forum is a skewed sample. We keep thinking that it represents a random subset of applicants, but in reality it's probably mostly the keeners and overly-anxious applicants (all of us) that post here.

Yeah I think the main thing that is throwing off everyone's logic is that the sample population we have on this forum is a skewed sample. We keep thinking that it represents a random subset of applicants, but in reality it's probably mostly the keeners and overly-anxious applicants (all of us) that post here.

That's not all we have to go off of though. Average GPA of accepted applicants was 3.92 last year, and is steadily creeping higher. I don't think we can really argue that U of T doesn't weigh GPA highly.

Yeah but an average GPA of 3.92 means that roughly half the applicants had a GPA>3.92 and half had a GPA<3.92. That doesn't seem to be the cause in the Invites thread...or does it?

No you're definitely right, we have a very skewed sample. But skewed sample or no, GPA must be weighed very heavily if the average GPA of accepted students is 3.92.

Also an average doesn't mean we can say anything about how many students were above and below 3.92. Could be 90% above 3.92 for all we know.

GPA must be weighed very heavily if the average GPA of accepted students is 3.92.

Not necessarily, it may simply be the case that most applicants possessing "Quality X" that is desired by UofT, also happen to have high GPAs.

As you've mentioned, we don't know the exact distribution of applicant GPAs, and so any number of funny statistical trickery can be at work here.

I generally ignore my undergrad GPA since it is not a reflection of my capabilities. I usually even take my MCAT result with a grain of salt even though it was good. I wrote it years ago and my critical thinking has improved since that time. I took a psych minor out of interest in undergrad and I did not apply myself in those courses since it was 'hobby material' that lead to a number of B+'s. I took 10 courses in my MSc while doing my research-based thesis and had a GPA ~3.9 (much higher than my undergrad). Plus, I became more serious about my education in my grad studies. I think my application reflects this (publications/involvement in educational activities/health related activities - not the grades since they do not see these).

Nevertheless, I have a sweet job right now in public health research and even if med doesn't work out I know where I want to go. However, I'd love to be in the position of many of the physicians around me that have great backgrounds in both medicine in research :D

All in all, not being accepted out of undergrad and still not accepted to med school has been significantly positive for me so far. I wonder if anyone else feels this way even if you still haven't been accepted.

(Just a side note: the interview practice I mentioned was issues with not having my ideas sorted and in scenarios it is very important to explain both sides and give your opinion based on the analysis.. I just gave my answer :P)

Yeah but an average GPA of 3.92 means that roughly half the applicants had a GPA>3.92 and half had a GPA<3.92. That doesn't seem to be the cause in the Invites thread...or does it?

That is if UofT picks students in accordance to a normal distribution, which I don't know if they do. The median would be half above and half below. I think up to a certain point GPA matters and maybe past that threshold it doesn't matter. Still, a 3.92 is nothing to joke about. If you get an interview and you went to UofT undergrad, that implies a 4.0 on a UofT undergrad scale (>85 is a 4.0 at UofT).

I'll break the silence here today.

No news updates on the U of T Med Facebook page.

No new postings on the interview link.

Anyone hear back from U of T recently or know of someone who has?

:confused:

Nope. I want so bad to have this all be over with. Soon enough though. I feel like they'll have all their ducks in a row by the end of the week.

Archived