Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

I was wondering, how is it fair that some of the people interviewing on the 30th or the 29th already knew about their interview earlier than the ten days we'd have if we do get interviews invites today. I just don't see the logic in holding on to the files, and if rolling applications is the explanation, it makes it even more unfair. *sigh*

Not just more than 10 days, but people were reporting interview invites for the 29/30 weekend as early as February 26.

You're right, I don't think it's the prep that makes a difference, it's the peace of mind.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got an email from Leslie that tells me to sign-up for the Missisauga tour through a certain link. I have not received an invite yet!!?? Anyone else got this?

I also got this email, but I've received an interview from them. This COULD be a good sign?

TIME STAMP: 6:27

Interview date: March 30

Result: Invite :D

cGPA: 3.92, wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 14/10/14

ECs: research, hospital volunteering, tutoring, uni first year students mentoring, club leaderships and memberships, various scholarships and grants

Essays: Felt very good about them - spent lots of time

Year: UG complete

Geography: IP

Don't lose hope everyone who is still waiting!!! I hope you see you next Sunday!

Better late than never!!

I also got this email, but I've received an interview from them. This COULD be a good sign?

I'm guessing that is a good sign. I'd probably e-mail her about it? That'd be really awful if she sent that out to a bunch of people by mistake: "come take a tour of our Mississauga campus, which you won't be attending since your rejection is coming later this week."

The reason seems to be that they just didn't finish reviewing our files in time. I suppose it's better to disadvantage a few of us rather than all the March 29/30 interviewees, so might as well send them invites if they're ready.

I would love to rant about how it's taking so long and we submitted our applications on October 1 so there's no good reason our files haven't been reviewed yet.... BUT, for all I know they have a good reason. WHO KNOWS.

The faculty had a very tough time this year recruiting enough people to review files. Since it's on a volunteer basis, they end up at a stand still when they've run out of volunteers but still have a pile of applications to review. This puts the burden on the admissions staff, and there are only so many hours in the day. That's probably what is taking the file review so long!

A lot of students signed up to do file reviews this year. As someone who reviewed files this year, it takes an inordinate amount of time if you want to do it fairly and holistically (which I'm assuming is how all of you want it done!). Students spent their Christmas breaks, free time after exams etc reviewing files. In casual conversation, we told our classmates who weren't doing file review how exhausting and time demanding it was. So when the admissions office sent out an email looking for more reviewers (when they were out of volunteers), I'm fairly certain students didn't jump at the opportunity. Which might explain the lingering file review at this point in the game :) Understandably it sucks to still be waiting, but wouldn't you rather someone take their time, read your reference letters/ABS/essays thoroughly and fairly compare you to other applicants?

Volunteers have been recruited to help for 2 sessions on Sunday (morning interviews and afternoon interviews). All interview dates so far have only consisted of morning interviews. Looks like they're accommodating more interviewees that way - and my guess would be that it's unlikely they'll add another day.

The faculty had a very tough time this year recruiting enough people to review files. Since it's on a volunteer basis, they end up at a stand still when they've run out of volunteers but still have a pile of applications to review. This puts the burden on the admissions staff, and there are only so many hours in the day. That's probably what is taking the file review so long!

A lot of students signed up to do file reviews this year. As someone who reviewed files this year, it takes an inordinate amount of time if you want to do it fairly and holistically (which I'm assuming is how all of you want it done!). Students spent their Christmas breaks, free time after exams etc reviewing files. In casual conversation, we told our classmates who weren't doing file review how exhausting and time demanding it was. So when the admissions office sent out an email looking for more reviewers (when they were out of volunteers), I'm fairly certain students didn't jump at the opportunity. Which might explain the lingering file review at this point in the game :) Understandably it sucks to still be waiting, but wouldn't you rather someone take their time, read your reference letters/ABS/essays thoroughly and fairly compare you to other applicants?

Yeah this is a pretty decent reason. If I get an interview I'll be happy they took their time to thoroughly read over it! Haha if I get rejected I'll wish they just glossed over it and missed the glaring insufficiencies.

Archived