Premed 101 Forums

significance of CaRMS interviews

burrb

some people I have spoken to haven't really prepped for interviews while others have being doing mock interviews for the past 2 weeks. This probably stems partially from different perspectives that people take with regards to the weight or significance of these interviews.

what do you guys think? Will an interview make or break you? Barring red flags or saying/doing something stupid, I don't personally think an interview is weighted that heavily -- if they want you, a subpar answer on a question is not going to prevent you from getting in.

some people I have spoken to haven't really prepped for interviews while others have being doing mock interviews for the past 2 weeks. This probably stems partially from different perspectives that people take with regards to the weight or significance of these interviews.

what do you guys think? Will an interview make or break you? Barring red flags or saying/doing something stupid, I don't personally think an interview is weighted that heavily -- if they want you, a subpar answer on a question is not going to prevent you from getting in.

Well, if the panel doesn't think you fit, you are out. No matter what great Nobel prizes you have won. Mucho important in my opinion. Don't take this lightly!

Interview is the most important part. You may be wonderful on paper, but you aren't working with that piece of paper. You want someone who pleasant, hard working and motivated, all things you can assess more readily with an interview.

Yes, interview is very important. It certainly has the power to break you. I don't think it can entirely make up for a weaker application, but if you do well it can move you up a few notches.

This is a big reason why it's important to do electives with program you want to attend... even if the program doesn't explicitly say they will favour you because of it. It gives the faculty a two week (or longer) period to meet you and see if you're a good fit. If you've had an excellent local elective, a weaker interview will likely have less negative impact. However, if you had a bad elective, a strong interview will do little to mitigate the damage.

Interview is the most important part. You may be wonderful on paper, but you aren't working with that piece of paper. You want someone who pleasant, hard working and motivated, all things you can assess more readily with an interview.

Yes the interview is important because if you don't fit you're out, but how exactly does one prep to "fit in?" If you fit you fit, if you don't, you don't. That's like a predetermined state. And aren't most people pleasant, hard-working, team players etc etc? Who will go into their interview with the intent of being unpleasant, pompous, awkward/weird etc?

The importance of the interview scales in relation to the competitiveness of the specialty you're applying to. In the less competitive programs in less competitive locales, you could probably turn in a satisfactory interview by demonstrating you have a pulse.

If it's competitive, then it'll matter a lot. Common sense.

nah bra, not common sense. lot of the smaller competitive programs already know who they want for a good number of their spots. interview can just be a formality, ie: program wants rank list to be x # long.

Yes the interview is important because if you don't fit you're out, but how exactly does one prep to "fit in?" If you fit you fit, if you don't, you don't. That's like a predetermined state. And aren't most people pleasant, hard-working, team players etc etc? Who will go into their interview with the intent of being unpleasant, pompous, awkward/weird etc?

Sometimes mock interviews can alert you to distracting mannerisms you might not otherwise have been aware of. And practice will allow you to deliver answers to questions such as "tell me about yourself" in a more articulate, less rambling manner.

Although I'm sure the importance of the interview varies from program to program, overall I agree with liszt's assessment of how the interview can play into the selection process.

For most programs, does the rest of the file weigh heavily once you reach the interview stage?

That's kind of what I'm getting at with my question. How important are these interviews when you consider the whole picture? I'd imagine the file itself carries a lot more weight, especially the reference letters, but the interview is probably how they're gonna differentiate people who were on the fence (ie: similar files but more interesting personality will get ranked)

In my program (competative surgical specialtu, extremely popular program) we have our rank list made prior to interviews. We basically know who we want. The interview can make you fall off that list but it's unlikely to advance you more than a spot or two at the most.

In my program (competative surgical specialtu, extremely popular program) we have our rank list made prior to interviews. We basically know who we want. The interview can make you fall off that list but it's unlikely to advance you more than a spot or two at the most.

Thanks for sharing this. What sorts of things can one do to make them fall off the list? Big obvious problems or do you guys nitpick a little?

I had a conversation with a friend's mom who is a radiologist who used to interview people. She said it was scary to see how many applicants said they chose radiology to "work less hours" and "have a great pay".

These are the kind of people that did not prepare for interviews and they ruled them out immediately. You have to think about all of your answers!

Thanks for sharing this. What sorts of things can one do to make them fall off the list? Big obvious problems or do you guys nitpick a little?

Big stuff. Generally being a douche bag, making a racist joke etc. It takes a pretty big mistake to fall off the list.

For something even moderately competitive the interview is a big deal. If your interview sucks you can be finished at that program. It can be a lot less than making a major interview faux pas. If you don't look like someone the programs desire to work with for 5 years they won't rank you. Better safe than sorry. Remember, the objective of the interview is to "rule out" a lot of people. It takes a lot less than you would think to "bomb it".

Everything you have done boils down to this interview. One is foolish if they choose not to practice.

I had a conversation with a friend's mom who is a radiologist who used to interview people. She said it was scary to see how many applicants said they chose radiology to "work less hours" and "have a great pay".

These are the kind of people that did not prepare for interviews and they ruled them out immediately. You have to think about all of your answers!

ha - that is a horrible answer. Particular since it shows a lack of understanding about where the field is heading.

and that answer just implies you don't want to work. Radiology residency is a ton of work though - there is just so much to know.

ha - that is a horrible answer. Particular since it shows a lack of understanding about where the field is heading.

and that answer just implies you don't want to work. Radiology residency is a ton of work though - there is just so much to know.

Yeah, considered by some to be the most difficult! You've gotta be a little crazy to do that :rolleyes: haha

Is it detrimental to be too informal during interviews? For example, during a station with residents, I found myself joking around quite a bit with them. They were very sociable and it was a "get to know you" station.

What do you guys think?

Super tough to say. I usually try to match the tone of the interviewers, but I agree that it's a difficult balance. If they were laughing with you, you're probably fine.

Archived