Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS Ranking

As many as you can...? I don't see why you ask. Unless you really don't want to go somewhere, then don't rank. But if you did the interviews and all... RANK.

yeah pretty much - the simple rule is this - if you would rather go unmatched than NOT go there, then don't rank them. otherwise do rank them.

why do you ask I guess :)

Fair enough. The reason I asked was because quite a few people I know are only interviewing in Ontario or at five or so schools and so only ranking those schools since apparently, family med is less competitive and so most people will get at least their first few choices with a decent application and interview. I was wondering if there is any truth to this according to people who have gone through this before, or if I should just go ahead and interview/rank everywhere. It just makes for a bit of a crazy schedule but you guys do have a point.

Fair enough. The reason I asked was because quite a few people I know are only interviewing in Ontario or at five or so schools and so only ranking those schools since apparently, family med is less competitive and so most people will get at least their first few choices with a decent application and interview. I was wondering if there is any truth to this according to people who have gone through this before, or if I should just go ahead and interview/rank everywhere. It just makes for a bit of a crazy schedule but you guys do have a point.

yeah I think we were communicating with the assumption that you would only be ranking places you interviewed at(?) - at least I was :)

I have had people I know go unmatched (I believe) because they a) didn't apply to every place in an area they potentially would accept going to or B) didn't rank every place post interview again where they would potentially go.

The dangerous part of what your friends were doing is restricting the number of schools they applied to. With family medicine of course the odds of not matching are pretty low but the consequences of unmatching are still rather unpleasant. The big question is why only apply to a handful of places - are you really worried about paying relatively small amount more at this point (this assumes there isn't an actual reason to restrict yourself - like your partner simply cannot move etc)

The major stress people go through post match in some cases after doing a restricted application/ranking is very intense. Much worse than medical school match day - much worse.

Does anyone know how many programs you should roughly be ranking in order to have a decent shot at a match? Can anyone speak to this from a fam med perspective?

Arg, ranking is probably the hardest part of CaRMS... It is a real pain in the ass. And if you are couples matching the whole thing is even more "fun". I couples matched and together we had over sixty different combinations. It is funny in hindsight because we got a top choice. But do rank every place you can see yourself going too. Chances are you will get something in your top 3. The CaRMS stats support this. Spend extra effort deciding what you rank as 1,2 or 3.

This all said, if you hate a program and would rather go unmatched than don't rank it. We didn't rank 2 programs for this reason...

Arg, ranking is probably the hardest part of CaRMS... It is a real pain in the ass. And if you are couples matching the whole thing is even more "fun". I couples matched and together we had over sixty different combinations. It is funny in hindsight because we got a top choice. But do rank every place you can see yourself going too. Chances are you will get something in your top 3. The CaRMS stats support this. Spend extra effort deciding what you rank as 1,2 or 3.

This all said, if you hate a program and would rather go unmatched than don't rank it. We didn't rank 2 programs for this reason...

May I ask what you couples matched to? I plan on doing that next year and we are both interested in competitive residencies. Just like to know there is some hope lol thanks!

May I ask what you couples matched to? I plan on doing that next year and we are both interested in competitive residencies. Just like to know there is some hope lol thanks!

I couples matched as well, and just like rogerroger, my ROL had 65 entries on it... After all that, we ended up matching to our first choice.

As far as I know, it worked out fine for everyone couples matching in my class. One couple in particular matched to two very competitive programs. So, there is hope. I've heard horror stories about couples at other schools, though. Couples matching is inherently more risky.

Couples matching is a headache according to numerous friends and the easiest way for one person to not match at all. If the couple are both intensely competitive then it's not really a problem.

For family medicine I would rank as many as possible. It's only 2 years after all. A few friends had to settle for 2nd iteration family med in places like Saskatchewan and they were still happy. Another friend wants to switch out of general surgery. She actually ranked UBC fam med first and wouldn't initially consider any other locations. Now she'd gladly go to NOSM for a couple of years if necessary.

ranking non ontario schools lower then ontario schools wont in any way decrease your chances of matching if you hadn't ranked those lower schools. Just means in the almost zero chance you did so poorly on all your ontario interviews that absolutley no one wants you, you at least have the shot at matching outside the province instead ofn ot matching at all. Even though its faiarly easy to match family, the carms stats last year still had like 3% or somthing not matching. I wouldn't want to be in that 3%

If someone is only wanting to match to FM at UBC, is that considered 1 school to rank in CaRMS or do all the sites you want at UBC become there own rank. For example:

1. UBC

2. UofA

Or

1. UBC -VGH

2. UBC -Chilliwack

3. UBC -PG

3. UofA

Are you really in the same competition pool with me or are you a year behind?

To answer your question (however unbelievable it seems at this point), you have to rank with the second method.

Archived