Premed 101 Forums

compentency based residency training

alanine

Thanks!

I'm still not entirely sure i understand concretely how things will change. anyone has any ideas of when we should start seeing these changes? during carms tour, i didn't hear anything from the programs...

In our program 2018 was the year quoted. I don't think they are completely sure what is going to happen yet :)

Apparently some programs have already started.

If you look at the program info for U of T Ortho on CaRMS, apparently they adopted a competency based curriculum pilot in 2009 and are expanding it.

I thought that was interesting.

definitely program specific - there are pilots in many places :) What will be interesting is what happens if people manage to complete things "early". I mean we know there are some lighter specialties compared to others in terms of knowledge base and time required to develop technical skills. In theory those will then potentially completed early.

In theory we have to wait until 2015 before carms officially releases things before really moving wholesale. coming soon for sure

definitely program specific - there are pilots in many places :) What will be interesting is what happens if people manage to complete things "early". I mean we know there are some lighter specialties compared to others in terms of knowledge base and time required to develop technical skills. In theory those will then potentially completed early.

In theory we have to wait until 2015 before carms officially releases things before really moving wholesale. coming soon for sure

I spoke to someone on the Royal College board and this is what I understand thus far:

The system should "theoretically" work both ways - a resident may finish his/her training early if deemed competent, while another may have to continue training beyond the 5-year mark if deemed incompetent.

However, programs can choose to providing "extra" training for those who finish early (ie training beyond the competency required by the Royal College), essentially making residents stay for the full 5 years despite achieving competency early.

However, programs can choose to providing "extra" training for those who finish early (ie training beyond the competency required by the Royal College), essentially making residents stay for the full 5 years despite achieving competency early.

Wouldn't want to lose the slave labour. That's total BS.

Wouldn't want to lose the slave labour. That's total BS.

yeah we will see how the various residency unions react to that - I am sure it is going to be quite interesting. If you have people that can stay late I am sure people will be looking at the flip side as well.

Perhaps they will compromise and let you start getting training towards a fellowship or something. Who knows.

Hahaha! It is almost beyond ludicrous to imagine that a resident will be deemed competent and be let out of residency early. Haha! I am amazed at what prate comes out of the Royal College et al.

If you have any understanding of what are, euphemistically called labor relations, you'd know full well this is utter garbage.

On the flipside, I see great vistas of opportunity for prolonging residencies.

Of course, it's all about the training.

Haha. I'm going to be laughing at this one for a while. I'm so glad that I got out.

Hahaha! It is almost beyond ludicrous to imagine that a resident will be deemed competent and be let out of residency early. Haha! I am amazed at what prate comes out of the Royal College et al.

If you have any understanding of what are, euphemistically called labor relations, you'd know full well this is utter garbage.

On the flipside, I see great vistas of opportunity for prolonging residencies.

Of course, it's all about the training.

Haha. I'm going to be laughing at this one for a while. I'm so glad that I got out.

I'll be out before it's implemented for my specialty. I'm some glad too. I pity the current med students.

When I was interviewing at Queen's, the program director suggested that the head of PGME at the school (or dean or some other influential director) wanted all of their residency programs to be competency based by 2015. It's ambitious for them, and food for thought for people looking at future programs.

This approach does have potential - I mean programs will become objectively measurable in various ways under this approach. People taking too long? that is trackable.

There is going to be a lot of pressure on a department to make sure their residents get through etc. I mean there already is of course but this is even more direct. Now PD is going to what their residents doing useless rotations that don't line up with competencies. There is talk here for instance of scrapping the entire first year internship rotations for rads and going more directly on to service. A lot of people would consider that a positive :)

Huh, that's interesting for the rads programs. I would be curious to see if that plays out and how that aligns with the LMCC Part 2.

Well that test isn't doesn't line up well and even now that test is rather silly. There are large sections for that exam that test skills that in general many people don't need to ever use. I don't cover on my time psych, oby/gen, or family medicine for instance despite having large off service rotations in many major areas (4 blocks of internal and relatives(CTU, ICU, cardio, resp), 4 of surgery, emerg, peds....)

and yet that test is very easy to pass - just like the first one - for pretty much all residents. You just study for it and pass it.

Huh, that's interesting for the rads programs. I would be curious to see if that plays out and how that aligns with the LMCC Part 2.

Thought I read somewhere that the QE2 is going to change as well in the next few years (maybe I read it in the latest CAIR bulletin?).

Sounded like they were going to make it less a test of medical knowledge and more a test of granola soft skills. The cynic in me wants to say they're changing it from being a useless test in one domain to a useless test in a different domain.

Has anybody else heard/read the same thing, or is my Korsakoff's just acting up again?

Archived