Premed 101 Forums

CPSO registration dates...

Mashmetoo

So, how strict are Ontario residencies with starting residency and getting certification from the CPSO (college of physicians & surgeons of Ontario)?

I'm working on the CPSO application right now, and the first page says to sent the application in at least 3 months in advance (of the July 1st 2014 start date). They asked for a copy of my medical degree.... Thing is, I don't graduate until May 16 2014, and I won't get my "medical degree" until graduation day.. This leaves me 1.5 months to mail everything into the CPSO and get certification...

Am I screwed?

Very strict. You will not be allowed to work without a CPSO license. They try their best to push through all of the applications by the end of June. I didn't receive my license number until June 28, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to start by July 1.

Call the CPSO and ask how to proceed. It could potentially become a big problem for you, and you should get advice from the horse's mouth.

Very strict. You will not be allowed to work without a CPSO license. They try their best to push through all of the applications by the end of June. I didn't receive my license number until June 28, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to start by July 1.

Call the CPSO and ask how to proceed. It could potentially become a big problem for you, and you should get advice from the horse's mouth.

So for Ontario/Canadian med schools.. when do you guys get your "medical degree"? I assumed everyone got their "medical degree" on graduation day. How are you guys able to mail everything into the CPSO 3 months in advance?

So, how strict are Ontario residencies with starting residency and getting certification from the CPSO (college of physicians & surgeons of Ontario)?

I'm working on the CPSO application right now, and the first page says to sent the application in at least 3 months in advance (of the July 1st 2014 start date). They asked for a copy of my medical degree.... Thing is, I don't graduate until May 16 2014, and I won't get my "medical degree" until graduation day.. This leaves me 1.5 months to mail everything into the CPSO and get certification...

Am I screwed?

Contact both the CPSO and the school you're doing residency at.

Your postgrad school can help a little bit by advocating a bit for you. That helps. And in the event things don't happen in time, they need to be aware in advance.

The CPSO can help by knowing in advance to process everything BUT your medical degree, or to get you to send along some document in lieu until your degree is available.

From what I understand, they have extra staff working extra hours to process the influx of new registrations and registration changes that happen between now and July, while the three-month minimum is more the standard for the rest of the year. There's a streamlined process for the Ontario grads where their proof of graduation is electronically submitted to the CPSO.

Am I screwed?

I called CPSO when I first read the 3 month deadline too. What I was told is:

1. That deadline is generally for the rest of the year. The application they want us to use this year won't even be up until April.

2. It's okay to send all the other stuff in first and note that your degree will be coming later.

3. There's some kind of certification of graduation you can send in before you've convocated if your school doesn't directly forward anything to the CPSO. You probably just have to get one of those from your undergraduate office.

I didn't even think about this stuff. Neither my home school nor my residency school have sent me any information on this. Is this something that the Canadian schools submit for you on their own? If not, what else there is to do?

CPSO?

CMPA?

Anything else?

don't forget all those vaccination forms or paying your tuition fee at the new school. I think that is about it really(?)

I didn't even think about this stuff. Neither my home school nor my residency school have sent me any information on this. Is this something that the Canadian schools submit for you on their own? If not, what else there is to do?

CPSO?

CMPA?

Anything else?

BLS/ ACLS?

BLS/ ACLS?

Yup, that too.

in Ontario that should be paid for by the residency program - which often means they do it once you get there. At the very least don't pay for it yourself etc - talk to them....

Yeah, Mac is going to pay for mine. I was told I have to do it before I begin, though I've heard of residents doing it in the first month or so.

Just update my list in case anyone else is wondering what stuff they need to get on:

1) CPSO

2) CMPA

3) BCLS/ACLS

4) Tuition

5) T1D form (so you can get back your $$ for tuition credits)

6) Immunization forms

7) New Employee form and other program-specific items.

Lots of people don't get ACLS until later into the PGY1 year. Just follow your program's lead.

Most of the other stuff on your list is important for day 1. I encountered people who screwed this up. Not a good start to residency. Get this admin crap done upfront, write your LMCC and enjoy your time off. ;)

Yup, that too.

Yeah, Mac is going to pay for mine. I was told I have to do it before I begin, though I've heard of residents doing it in the first month or so.

Just update my list in case anyone else is wondering what stuff they need to get on:

1) CPSO

2) CMPA

3) BCLS/ACLS

4) Tuition

5) T1D form (so you can get back your $$ for tuition credits)

6) Immunization forms

7) New Employee form and other program-specific items.

I called CPSO when I first read the 3 month deadline too. What I was told is:

1. That deadline is generally for the rest of the year. The application they want us to use this year won't even be up until April.

2. It's okay to send all the other stuff in first and note that your degree will be coming later.

3. There's some kind of certification of graduation you can send in before you've convocated if your school doesn't directly forward anything to the CPSO. You probably just have to get one of those from your undergraduate office.

So to confirm - I don't need to worry about CPSO until April... (except i guess getting a jump on sending some stuff like transcript etc. in)....i.e. i can finish the last two weeks of medical school and the worry about this??

This is confusing and I don't think the thread has helped lol.

Here's what I understand:

1. You register for CPSO through physiciansapply.ca

2. When I try to do that, the application to register is only up for 2 Canadian schools (Saskatchewan and some other place).

3. Check back in April when the rest of the registration applications will be up.

4. In the meantime, take care of other things like: ACLS certification, immunization, TD forms for tuition, etc. that the residency school I will be attending wants completed.

5. I graduate at the end of May. I find it odd and bizarre that convocating at this time will somehow make me too late to register for CPSO.

What is this talk of sending stuff to CPSO before registration?

This is confusing and I don't think the thread has helped lol.

What is this talk of sending stuff to CPSO before registration?

Not before registration but for registration. You need to send in a copy of your medical degree along with other documents to get registered. The lady I spoke to at the CPSO said it was alright to send all the other documents in first in April if you weren't going to receive your degree until late May and were worried about making the July 1 deadline.

So to confirm - I don't need to worry about CPSO until April... (except i guess getting a jump on sending some stuff like transcript etc. in)....i.e. i can finish the last two weeks of medical school and the worry about this??

I think so :) If you check the CPSO website it says 2014 grads should come back in April.

Archived