Premed 101 Forums

IMG Gen Surg Residents?

Looking at the CaRMs statistics for IMGs, it looks pretty grim for getting a general surgery residency in Canada. I know this.

But there ARE 6 residency spots in Canada in General surgery for IMGs. So yes, while the chances are so slim it's pitiful, they still exist.

If any one on the forums here is one of these IMGs that matched to general surgery or even interviewed (or could speak from a similar position), I would love to hear any insight you have to offer, or even hear about what your general background is (i.e. Graduate degree or not, how much research, how much networking, electives, etc.)

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Looking at the CaRMs statistics for IMGs, it looks pretty grim for getting a general surgery residency in Canada. I know this.

But there ARE 6 residency spots in Canada in General surgery for IMGs. So yes, while the chances are so slim it's pitiful, they still exist.

If any one on the forums here is one of these IMGs that matched to general surgery or even interviewed (or could speak from a similar position), I would love to hear any insight you have to offer, or even hear about what your general background is (i.e. Graduate degree or not, how much research, how much networking, electives, etc.)

Thanks!

I can speak for one IMG GS resident I know. He was already a surgeon back in his home country, with ~10 yrs of surgical and research experience. After coming to Canada, he had to take all the relevant exams and apply for residency again. He applied 4 times before he got in. I believe he was doing clinical research while he waited for success at CaRMS.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Seems like a rough haul for that resident.

As a Canadian who is considering studying abroad, I am hoping to hear if other Canadians successfully matched to general surgery and what their story is.

As you've mentioned, there are only 6 spots. So I'm not sure whether you will be able to find an IMG GS resident here on these forums. In addition, in some years, some programs prefer to leave those spots unfilled, meaning there aren't truly 6 spots for IMG.

That said, if you are thinking matching to GS in Canada, my advice is to do your MD in Canada. Yes, there are 6 GS spots for IMG, but this is like saying yes, there has to be some winners for the million dollar jackpot lottery. Unless you are feeling lucky, don't gamble.

As you've mentioned, there are only 6 spots. So I'm not sure whether you will be able to find an IMG GS resident here on these forums. In addition, in some years, some programs prefer to leave those spots unfilled, meaning there aren't truly 6 spots for IMG.

I've keep hearing this on PM101 that "spots don't get filled".

I could be wrong, so I want to get the facts straight.

When I checked CaRMs data from its 2013 and 2012 matches, it seems to me that all the GS spots were filled:

https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/pdfs/2012R1_MatchResults/12_Match%20Results%20for%20the%20IMGs%20by%20Discipline_en.pdf

https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/pdfs/2013R1_MatchResults/Table_18_En.pdf

Am I wrong in how I look at this data?

By the way hamham, thanks for replying to my question, I really appreciate it.

I've keep hearing this on PM101 that "spots don't get filled".

I could be wrong, so I want to get the facts straight.

When I checked CaRMs data from its 2013 and 2012 matches, it seems to me that all the GS spots were filled:

https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/pdfs/2012R1_MatchResults/12_Match%20Results%20for%20the%20IMGs%20by%20Discipline_en.pdf

https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/pdfs/2013R1_MatchResults/Table_18_En.pdf

Am I wrong in how I look at this data?

By the way hamham, thanks for replying to my question, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's interesting isn't it - I have heard that many times, but agree with your analysis of the CaRMS report. I have met a Gen Surg resident in Canada, CMG, who says s/he is sitting in an IMG spot after not matching to Gen Surg in the first round. Take that as you will.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm a CSA that matched into Gen surge this year. My advice to you is the same as for anyone who goes abroad for med school, be open minded about what specialty you may go into. A lot of people, CMG's as well, change their mind on what they end up wanting to specialize in throughout their med school journey. For IMG's, we don't have the luxury to be too picky about specialty because as you said, there are so few GS spots.

If you do end up going abroad, focus your pre clinical years on getting good grades and doing well on boards. Plan your electives around what specialty you want, try to get a rotation at each center that offers an img spot. It is very difficult to match in Canada, so I'd recommend if you as considering non Caribbean med schools to make sure you write the USMLE's and also apply to the US. There are a lot more programs in the States and a better possibility of matching to GS and other specialties.

It looks like you are from Alberta which makes things slightly more complicated if you want to end up matching in Alberta. Obviously you should apply across the country for residency, and make sure to back up with other programs, but if you are really hoping for Alberta then you have to complete the AIMG program before you can apply for residency in that province.

For me, I planned out my electives very carefully to make sure I got a lot of exposure to my top program. I was competing against some very impressive candidates, I consider myself extremely lucky to have matched.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

I agree to never go abroad with the hopes of a gen surg spot.

I disagree that you shouldn't apply at all. It doesn't hurt to apply for gen surg with another backup, with the mindset that you'll match into that backup specialty, but be pleasantly surprised if you end up getting GS.

For myself, my mindset when studying abroad was that I would match into some unknown family medicine residency in the middle of nowhere, USA. I was happy with that prospect and fully prepared myself for it. I did end up matching to internal medicine (my #1 choice) in Canada, so things do work out sometimes!

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I'm a CSA that matched into Gen surge this year. My advice to you is the same as for anyone who goes abroad for med school, be open minded about what specialty you may go into. A lot of people, CMG's as well, change their mind on what they end up wanting to specialize in throughout their med school journey. For IMG's, we don't have the luxury to be too picky about specialty because as you said, there are so few GS spots.

If you do end up going abroad, focus your pre clinical years on getting good grades and doing well on boards. Plan your electives around what specialty you want, try to get a rotation at each center that offers an img spot. It is very difficult to match in Canada, so I'd recommend if you as considering non Caribbean med schools to make sure you write the USMLE's and also apply to the US. There are a lot more programs in the States and a better possibility of matching to GS and other specialties.

It looks like you are from Alberta which makes things slightly more complicated if you want to end up matching in Alberta. Obviously you should apply across the country for residency, and make sure to back up with other programs, but if you are really hoping for Alberta then you have to complete the AIMG program before you can apply for residency in that province.

For me, I planned out my electives very carefully to make sure I got a lot of exposure to my top program. I was competing against some very impressive candidates, I consider myself extremely lucky to have matched.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

This is very impressive, any insight about what it took to achieve that, other than good scores in exams and taking electives in that specialty? 

Thanks

Yeah, it's interesting isn't it - I have heard that many times, but agree with your analysis of the CaRMS report. I have met a Gen Surg resident in Canada, CMG, who says s/he is sitting in an IMG spot after not matching to Gen Surg in the first round. Take that as you will.

I can confirm that this has happened. We may be talking about the same person. 

awful imgs are abundant in pathology. they can be recruited without danger to patients because everything in pathology is looked over by staff. programs wait for the royal college exam to weed out the struggling residents all the while shuttling the poor performing residents through to the end. the general pathology exam has a pass rate of less than half, and it is mostly imgs writing. might be all imgs but im not sure. ive met no img or csa in a pathology program that was better than a cmg. some are equivalent. many are awful. ones with prior path experience from other countries are stubborn and hard to teach and pose particular concern.

Archived