Premed 101 Forums

pre-clerkship electives

Any advice on how to set up pre-clerkship electives for another province?

Is cold-calling an effective way to do this?

I know that our school will not set up pre-clerkship electives for us if we wanted to go to another province. They say it's our responsibility to find a preceptor. I don't know any other way to do this except for cold-calling or email...

• 2 weeks later...

No one sets up electives for you. Are you preclerkship or "preclerkship-just-finished-2nd-year-and starting clerkship in the fall?"

In either of the above cases, doing out of province electives will be a waste of time. You don't know anything. How to write orders, how to write progress notes, where the hell things are, etiquette, etc...

All of this will be part of your clinical teaching. People are less inclined to babysit out of province elective students b/c they expect them to know more.

Just do a local elective in something you think is cool but wouldn't go for to get your feet wet.

No one sets up electives for you. Are you preclerkship or "preclerkship-just-finished-2nd-year-and starting clerkship in the fall?"

In either of the above cases, doing out of province electives will be a waste of time. You don't know anything. How to write orders, how to write progress notes, where the hell things are, etiquette, etc...

All of this will be part of your clinical teaching. People are less inclined to babysit out of province elective students b/c they expect them to know more.

Just do a local elective in something you think is cool but wouldn't go for to get your feet wet.

valid points - why do you specifically want to go out of province? Is that where you are originally from and just want to spend time there?

It is tricky - often schools just don't allow it.

Just finishing 2nd year.

Thanks for the heads up - I know I'll be well behind the curve in terms of orders etc and that's the main reason I'm hesitant on trying to arrange something OOP. I want to go OOP since I aim to go OOP for residency (if all works to plan) and I want to show interest in particular locations for that reason.

On the other hand, I don't want to look like an idiot considering it would be the first real 'clerkship' experience for me. I definitely do not want to be a burden on the docs.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated! I'm going to think it over but I'm leaning towards not trying to arrange an OOP pre-core elective for ^reasons.

Just finishing 2nd year.

Thanks for the heads up - I know I'll be well behind the curve in terms of orders etc and that's the main reason I'm hesitant on trying to arrange something OOP. I want to go OOP since I aim to go OOP for residency (if all works to plan) and I want to show interest in particular locations for that reason.

On the other hand, I don't want to look like an idiot considering it would be the first real 'clerkship' experience for me. I definitely do not want to be a burden on the docs.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated! I'm going to think it over but I'm leaning towards not trying to arrange an OOP pre-core elective for ^reasons.

Stick to your home school if you are preclerkship. The last thing you want to do is go to a program you are interested in and not now how to do anything. It'll only hurt you.

If you have very strong interest in select locations, I wonder if it's reasonable to do the same elective twice-- once as a preclerk, then again after some core rotations. Perhaps aim to work with the same preceptor the second time. This preceptor's letter will carry much more weight. I think it would work well for less service-based electives.

Some schools will straightup reject preclerk elective students but maybe you can find a backdoor.

How about doing an OOP summer research elective?

Have a MSc, not a chance I'm doing summer research this summer lol.

Stick to your home school if you are preclerkship. The last thing you want to do is go to a program you are interested in and not now how to do anything. It'll only hurt you.

Yes, this seems to be the best advice... thanks a lot. I'm really leaning towards staying home and learning the basics first. :)

If you have very strong interest in select locations, I wonder if it's reasonable to do the same elective twice-- once as a preclerk, then again after some core rotations. Perhaps aim to work with the same preceptor the second time. This preceptor's letter will carry much more weight. I think it would work well for less service-based electives.

Some schools will straightup reject preclerk elective students but maybe you can find a backdoor.

Interesting idea for sure! That will be hard to arrange but I think I'm going to stick it out at home for now... and maybe do 1 month instead of 2 weeks in the location I want during elective time in 4th year.

I'm a pre-clerk who will be doing an elective in a location that I will probably be interested in later. The intent was to do another clerkship elective in the same location, maybe with a different focus but within the same hospital since I heard a lot of the same doctors work in the various clinics offered. Would this be shooting myself in the foot or will the physicians that supervise me during this pre-clerk elective be understanding about my lack of experience on the wards?

Archived