Premed 101 Forums

4th Author on Paper

uoftpremed

Hey all,

I am fourth author on a paper. I am the only student to have been working on this clinical research, the project belonged to a resident. She has already presented at one conference if I am not mistaken... Sorry if this is a stupid question lol but can I present the research too? Like at a student run conference? I am obv not the first author and didnt write the paper but gave my edits and approval.

Let me know what ya think!

I would talk to your supervisor and the resident and ask them. This question is probably more appropriate for them. You did help, so I would say it wouldn't be that wrong to present the data if you made some relatively meaningful contributions--especially at something less professional like a student research conference.

Okay sounds good! I am trying to get my feet wet with attending conferences and such. Why would the resident care if I went to a student conference to present? Essentially I was involved in all of the data collection and processing and revision of the manuscript. Not "my own" project but I enrolelled and procesed a ton of patients.

I would talk to your supervisor and the resident and ask them. This question is probably more appropriate for them. You did help, so I would say it wouldn't be that wrong to present the data if you made some relatively meaningful contributions--especially at something less professional like a student research conference.

Okay sounds good! I am trying to get my feet wet with attending conferences and such. Why would the resident care if I went to a student conference to present? Essentially I was involved in all of the data collection and processing and revision of the manuscript. Not "my own" project but I enrolelled and procesed a ton of patients.

The resident likely won't care. But, you should always be careful when presenting scientific research (especially not your own) to the public. Better to ask first just to be sure, even if you don't think it's too big a deal since it's a student conference. Good luck!

The resident likely won't care. But, you should always be careful when presenting scientific research (especially not your own) to the public. Better to ask first just to be sure, even if you don't think it's too big a deal since it's a student conference. Good luck!

yeah it is easily cleared up by just asking :)

Speak with both your supervisor and resident to make sure they are ok with it. They will probably be happy to look over your presentation (everyone we've worked with on research have been super nice and helpful!). Instead of presenting the entire project perhaps you could focus on what you did. Also check with the conference if they are ok with it. Some conferences only accept abstracts that weren't presented previously.

Hey all,

I am fourth author on a paper. I am the only student to have been working on this clinical research, the project belonged to a resident. She has already presented at one conference if I am not mistaken... Sorry if this is a stupid question lol but can I present the research too? Like at a student run conference? I am obv not the first author and didnt write the paper but gave my edits and approval.

Let me know what ya think!

Archived