Premed 101 Forums

Minor Professionalism Lapse?

Hey guys,

I received a minor professionalism lapse because i was late to a seminar for one of my rotations. Im wondering, when i apply to residency programs, will they be able to see this lapse? Honestly, its my fault, i was late 1 hour but it was only once and this particular supervisor really took it seriously. I'm usually very particular and on time, dont have any other lapses and am passing everything otherwise, so im just wondering how much of an impact this one lapse will have on my application.

Maybe? Depends on your school, and if they put it on the MSPR.

But it sounds like you have a very reasonable explanation for what seems to be a very minor 'professionalism lapse.' This actually seems so minor that it shouldn't make it on to your MSPR, but stranger things have happened.

Anyways, seems like you can explain it and any reasonable residency program shouldn't be bothered by it. Its far from a 'black mark' on your application.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I say don't worry about it but that guy's a serious **** who would do that.

Next time, fight to make sure things like that don't pop up on your record. Take a scolding/berating whatever, just don't allow it to be written anywhere.

I was once 30 minutes late for ICU morning teaching because I overslept. It was pretty embarrassing. That was about the extent of it.

As a general rule I'm someone who needs to go to bed earlier and sleep more but... I like staying up late. On my current rotation, my staff told me I could come in at 9:30 or "even 10" (which seems reasonable because we end up reviewing consults until 6:30 or 7).

So I wouldn't worry about this too much. It happens. I would, however, suggest talking to your student affairs (or undergrad) office about getting this so-called lapse expunged from your record as it seems quite unjustified and unfair.

Hey guys,

I received a minor professionalism lapse because i was late to a seminar for one of my rotations. Im wondering, when i apply to residency programs, will they be able to see this lapse? Honestly, its my fault, i was late 1 hour but it was only once and this particular supervisor really took it seriously. I'm usually very particular and on time, dont have any other lapses and am passing everything otherwise, so im just wondering how much of an impact this one lapse will have on my application.

kind of worrying that being late once on clerkship invokes thoughts that your entire application is doomed. That is just an annoying level of stress.

Most likely it won't have any impact - hang in there and don't let the stress get to you!

Hey guys,

That guy sounds like a complete knob.

your preceptor is a real ass...

i once overslept and missed half of the morning (I had to go to another town but my carpool buddy left on time so I had to take interurban bus...anyhow a pain in the butt) My preceptor was very understanding and didn't make anything out of it

don't worry, i bet it won't affect your carms application.

Calling an isolated 1-hr late (to a mere LECTURE) "professionalism lapse" is shame on your preceptor, not you

Some preceptors are just a-holes... Once I got sent home because the staff didn't like my shoes (thought they were too casual)... he literally told me to change my shoes or leave, so considering I don't carry around extra pair of shoes I just left.

Thankfully, I ended up clearing it up with the person in charge and it never caused me any problems, but as a med student these experiences can be traumatizing when you consider the implications for Carms.

Moral of the story: If you haven't done so already, sit down with your program director to make sure that it won't end up on your MSPR. Anyone with half a brain will know that showing up late on one occasion is not that big of a deal!

Hey guys,

Honestly, I wasnt expecting this much support from everyone here. Thank you. It's ridiculous sometimes what we are subjected to in clerkship. Yes, it was only one time and you guys are right I really should take it up with my clerkship director. I'm at UofT

Thanks all. Sometimes these jerks just make us feel so low in self esteem that I have a hard time standing up for myself.

I'm actually someone who is very open to criticism, but I think at times I need to defend myself - I know it's something I need to work on before I get stepped on like no tomorrow.

It's nice to see examples of how this has happened to others in the past and how you all have dealt with it. Thanks again.

PS: I looked into the policy and they said that unless we have multiple minor lapses or a major lapse, only then does it go on the transcript/dean's letter - but its still annoying to have this minor lapse on my record in the first place!

your preceptor is a real ass...

i once overslept and missed half of the morning (I had to go to another town but my carpool buddy left on time so I had to take interurban bus...anyhow a pain in the butt) My preceptor was very understanding and didn't make anything out of it

don't worry, i bet it won't affect your carms application.

Calling an isolated 1-hr late (to a mere LECTURE) "professionalism lapse" is shame on your preceptor, not you

I agree. Things happen. Even if you don't have a "legitimate" excuse (car trouble, whatever), EVERYONE has been late somewhere at some point. I suspect this person lives in a glass house. It only becomes a professionalism issue when it's a pattern.

I can think of DOZENS of times when I was on time for something, but the staff or lecturer wasn't. There's always some excuse "but they are so busy and important!" Well, you KNOW you have a lecture in the morning, if you have to round beforehand, then come in earlier on that day.

Some preceptors are just a-holes... Once I got sent home because the staff didn't like my shoes (thought they were too casual)... he literally told me to change my shoes or leave, so considering I don't carry around extra pair of shoes I just left.

LOL, sounds like a winning situation to me!

I got kicked out of the OR once by a very emotionally volatile surgeon - half an hour earlier, he had praised me to everyone in the room and said I was destined to be a surgeon, but then I failed to name some stupid nerve, at which point he decided I had no business assisting. He told me to "get the hell out" of his OR, I said, "cool beans" and headed out to enjoy nice May weather early.

I've never seen a more hypocritical group of people when it comes to "professionalism" (and it's in quotations because it's defined as whatever your superior wants it to be whenever they want to use it) than medical administrators and prick doctors. If student or resident faces a professionalism complaint, it's as if they committed some capital crime. An admin or physician? "Oh that's just the way they are". I can't even hide my disgust anymore when it's pounded into us at every opportunity.

To the OP - just get as much as you can in writing. Even the conversations with admin who you hope understand - get it in writing (email, hard copy, etc etc) cause otherwise you're vulnerable.

LOL, sounds like a winning situation to me!

I got kicked out of the OR once by a very emotionally volatile surgeon - half an hour earlier, he had praised me to everyone in the room and said I was destined to be a surgeon, but then I failed to name some stupid nerve, at which point he decided I had no business assisting. He told me to "get the hell out" of his OR, I said, "cool beans" and headed out to enjoy nice May weather early.

THATS CRAZY! My goodness, at least now I know if that happens to me I shouldn't feel so left out (Ugh, It probably will considering surgery is around the corner for me)

DUDE - how do these people think they have the right to make such horrible statements? What a piss off.

I've never seen a more hypocritical group of people when it comes to "professionalism" (and it's in quotations because it's defined as whatever your superior wants it to be whenever they want to use it) than medical administrators and prick doctors. If student or resident faces a professionalism complaint, it's as if they committed some capital crime. An admin or physician? "Oh that's just the way they are". I can't even hide my disgust anymore when it's pounded into us at every opportunity.

To the OP - just get as much as you can in writing. Even the conversations with admin who you hope understand - get it in writing (email, hard copy, etc etc) cause otherwise you're vulnerable.

Good point. Thanks ER scrub - you make an excellent point - im going to keep everything in writing for next time.

I'm really glad I posted about this lapse. It actually is very nice to hear how others are dealing with some of the minor and major bullying/unprofessionalism that goes on in medicine. I feel much less left out now.

Archived