Premed 101 Forums

AQ score calculations

My opinion is that even if all you believe you have is a 2% chance, you should still apply.

Good luck!

This. I applied thinking I had zero chance of getting an interview, then got one! You never know what'll happen. Unless your GPA is like 50% or something, then maybe not.

Yep, I was rejected pre-interview 6 times in a row from UBC, and I think my aGPA is about 81-82% or something. I got an interview this year and got in. I wasn't even watching my email the week interview notices went out, I just assumed i wouldn't get one. My NAQ was pretty solid, and like the kind poster said above, I have an awesome personality (:P ) but still I got one thinking I would not. At the very least, if you are rejected you get your scores, and those are really worth something because it shows how you stack up.

Do you guys think it's possible that MCAT is considered part of the AQ for applicants invited for interview? I know someone with a 92% average receiving a lower AQ score (~34) than another person with 89% average (~38), but the person with higher GPA was rejected pre-interview whereas the person with lower GPA is rejected after interview. But it's also possible that the stats I have are not correct.

I think I might have a possible explanation. The AQ changed a few times this past winter, it seems. Those of us with applications from prior years could look at our old apps and see our old scores- but suddenly, at one point, they were not that same as they had been. This was before interview invites went out, I think. If the two applicants you are referring to are reporting from those times it might seem like the 89% person had a higher average than the other, but MCAT is not included, was never included in AQ. I should know, I think my aGPA is actually 80.5% (I'm not sure and it doesn't show me anymore) but I have a 33R MCAT.

As for words of advice- gosh, I think that not giving up if it's something you really want. The criteria for admissions/interview has changed so much over the years and it can fluctuate without warning. It did this year. Perhaps this year they will shift the AQ again. I had really given up on UBC and basically wrote them off, but I applied anyways (habit after doing it every year for 6 years already?) and voila. I was more focused on UofC (I am also IP there) but did not interview there this year.

I also tried to do something every day that would improve my application, but not in a really deliberate way. I just recorded on a calendar what I did and how long I spent doing it. Whether it was a long study day or a few hours spent volunteering or working, I thought to myself: "how does this show who I am on my app? How is this part of my non-academic life?". A day I spent helping a friend plant a field of saskatoon berries showed up in my app as part of my entry "Rural life activites", as did a day sheep hunting. An afternoon babysitting my young nieces was included in "Live-in caregiver for nieces". It may seem simple, but my application is pretty much an entire account of my hours from the last 10 years of my life. The first few times I applied took about 40 hours to craft the information and estimate hours adequately. I think this year it still took about 10 hours even though I was just cutting and pasting.

But basically, because you never know, apply. If you are rejected, you still get extremely valuable scores, and those scores let you know if you have a chance.

Do you guys think it's possible that MCAT is considered part of the AQ for applicants invited for interview? I know someone with a 92% average receiving a lower AQ score (~34) than another person with 89% average (~38), but the person with higher GPA was rejected pre-interview whereas the person with lower GPA is rejected after interview. But it's also possible that the stats I have are not correct.

I had a 91.8% average and a 39 MCAT and was rejected pre-interview ;) Still had an AQ that matched what others have reported.

I'm of the opinion, after having looked at a general trend over the last 10-15 years, that UBC operates on a sort of "tidal" trend: that for a couple of years they will focus heavily on AQ over NAQ, then reverse for a couple years, then back again. My guess is that it averages the number of students who get in with a high set of qualities over the other, and attempts to give people as equal a chance as possible.

This is just an observation, but perhaps it has to do with the qualities of the doctors produced: that those with high GPA & low EC/NAQ has less personality skills but excel in theory and practice and those with low GPA & high EC/NAQ has better personality skills but struggle with the program.

I'm of the opinion, after having looked at a general trend over the last 10-15 years, that UBC operates on a sort of "tidal" trend: that for a couple of years they will focus heavily on AQ over NAQ, then reverse for a couple years, then back again. My guess is that it averages the number of students who get in with a high set of qualities over the other, and attempts to give people as equal a chance as possible.

This is just an observation, but perhaps it has to do with the qualities of the doctors produced: that those with high GPA & low EC/NAQ has less personality skills but excel in theory and practice and those with low GPA & high EC/NAQ has better personality skills but struggle with the program.

Not necessarily, many students especially immigrants transitioning into a new education system take some time to get used to it. Their are also other responsibilities (e.g. financial) that limit academic performance for a few years.

I think I might have a possible explanation. The AQ changed a few times this past winter, it seems. Those of us with applications from prior years could look at our old apps and see our old scores- but suddenly, at one point, they were not that same as they had been. This was before interview invites went out, I think. If the two applicants you are referring to are reporting from those times it might seem like the 89% person had a higher average than the other, but MCAT is not included, was never included in AQ. I should know, I think my aGPA is actually 80.5% (I'm not sure and it doesn't show me anymore) but I have a 33R MCAT.

As for words of advice- gosh, I think that not giving up if it's something you really want. The criteria for admissions/interview has changed so much over the years and it can fluctuate without warning. It did this year. Perhaps this year they will shift the AQ again. I had really given up on UBC and basically wrote them off, but I applied anyways (habit after doing it every year for 6 years already?) and voila. I was more focused on UofC (I am also IP there) but did not interview there this year.

I also tried to do something every day that would improve my application, but not in a really deliberate way. I just recorded on a calendar what I did and how long I spent doing it. Whether it was a long study day or a few hours spent volunteering or working, I thought to myself: "how does this show who I am on my app? How is this part of my non-academic life?". A day I spent helping a friend plant a field of saskatoon berries showed up in my app as part of my entry "Rural life activites", as did a day sheep hunting. An afternoon babysitting my young nieces was included in "Live-in caregiver for nieces". It may seem simple, but my application is pretty much an entire account of my hours from the last 10 years of my life. The first few times I applied took about 40 hours to craft the information and estimate hours adequately. I think this year it still took about 10 hours even though I was just cutting and pasting.

But basically, because you never know, apply. If you are rejected, you still get extremely valuable scores, and those scores let you know if you have a chance.

Certainly hope they don't. At least wait for one more year. Many happy people got in this year.

This is far too general, and simply not true.

Archived