Premed 101 Forums

AQ score calculations

Hi I'm wondering is AQ score purely based on GPA? Also, anyone have any idea how AQ is calculated? I collected the following data from invite/rejected/waitlisted page:

Applicant aGPQ AQ

Perfect 90 /50

palma 88.6 /45.33

Larkspur 88 /44.73

mimi23 87.6 /41.99

oneshotwonder 81 /20.65

Does this mean its a normal distribution and anyone above 90 gets a score of 50 automatically?

Hi I'm wondering is AQ score purely based on GPA? Also, anyone have any idea how AQ is calculated? I collected the following data from invite/rejected/waitlisted page:

Applicant aGPQ AQ

Perfect 90 /50

palma 88.6 /45.33

Larkspur 88 /44.73

mimi23 87.6 /41.99

oneshotwonder 81 /20.65

Does this mean its a normal distribution and anyone above 90 gets a score of 50 automatically?

Hi, I don't think you statistic is correct. From this year's Interview Invite/Reject thread, no one could get 50 AQ even with a 93 GPA.

Hi, I don't think you statistic is correct. From this year's Interview Invite/Reject thread, no one could get 50 AQ even with a 93 GPA.

Strange, because like 10+ people all mentioned last year that 90+ was a 50 AQ. I guess they changed the formula this year.

Strange, because like 10+ people all mentioned last year that 90+ was a 50 AQ. I guess they changed the formula this year.

Yes, up to last year it was. But from this year they changed. Nobody has figured out the new formula. It seems that no one could get 50 AQ even with 100 GPA, and 75 GPA could get about 10 AQ instead of 0, which is quite fair, I think.

If nobody could get 50 AQ with only GPA, they shouldn't use 50/50 for TFR. There must be some other small factor that is taken into account to make up 50.

We've been through this. They specifically say on their website that it is just GPA. Obviously they wanted NAQ to be worth more. I agree, it doesn't really make sense to make them 50/50 if that's the case, but that's their prerogative I guess.

If nobody could get 50 AQ with only GPA, they shouldn't use 50/50 for TFR. There must be some other small factor that is taken into account to make up 50.

Maybe they secretly bump for PhD or Masters?

It's all speculation. UBC is very opaque.

They have done this because it is impossible to get 50/50 in NAQ, so it's to actually make NAQ and AQ 50/50. It's unheard of to have a NAQ of 50 because that would mean that there is NOTHING you could do to better yourself outside of school

They have done this because it is impossible to get 50/50 in NAQ, so it's to actually make NAQ and AQ 50/50. It's unheard of to have a NAQ of 50 because that would mean that there is NOTHING you could do to better yourself outside of school

I remember someone ever posted here before saying that he/she got 50 on NAQ. But because of old AQ formula, the AQ was too low to get a high enough TRF for an interview.

I remember someone ever posted here before saying that he/she got 50 on NAQ. But because of old AQ formula, the AQ was too low to get a high enough TRF for an interview.

I don't know if I believe that because I've talked to some coordinators about the stats and I was explicitly told that no one had been given a 50 in the past 3 years. Tbh I assume some people eggajurate their scores on here (not really sure why though). I was told that's why the AQ was changed

I've got a ~94, and I got 50 last year. This year I think I got 34 or something.

Hi, I read through your old threads & found that your AQ was 38.61. If calculating with new formula posted in this thread by Advair250, the result is very close.

The formula for the current cycle, based on the rejected thread is:

AQ= 1.526*(x)-104.89

Where X is your GPA (i.e. 82)

So perfect would get you around 47...plus 3 points for PhD. Leaving little space for anyone to get above 50. This makes sense.

I agree that it is absolutely unfair for UBC to change their AQ formula out of the blue w/o informing the applicants before they apply. That said, I think it is fair to scale AQ as they have done so that it has equal weight to NAQ. Prior to the change, it was common to get 0 or 50 on AQ, while it was near (if not totally) impossible to get 0 or 50 on NAQ. With the change, the median AQ and median NAQ are probably more similar, and the two are weighed more or less the same.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys think it's possible that MCAT is considered part of the AQ for applicants invited for interview? I know someone with a 92% average receiving a lower AQ score (~34) than another person with 89% average (~38), but the person with higher GPA was rejected pre-interview whereas the person with lower GPA is rejected after interview. But it's also possible that the stats I have are not correct.

Do you guys think it's possible that MCAT is considered part of the AQ for applicants invited for interview? I know someone with a 92% average receiving a lower AQ score (~34) than another person with 89% average (~38), but the person with higher GPA was rejected pre-interview whereas the person with lower GPA is rejected after interview. But it's also possible that the stats I have are not correct.

MCAT is not a part of your AQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Where did you get this formula for the new AQ calulcation? I am a prospective first-time applicant this year and am trying to figure out if it is really worth applying. I have an 82% adjusted GPA. I have a master's degree and I think a good variety of extracurriculars. Hard to know really, because you never really know what everyone else has. Quite a bit of volunteer experience in hospitals, clinics and general community volunteering, research experience, one publication with a research team, travel experience, etc. I am just about to rewrite my MCAT and give it a shot. But from what I just calculated with that formula, my AQ wouldn't be very high.

Anyhow, any insight would be helpful as to where you got this formula.

Thanks!

My opinion is that even if all you believe you have is a 2% chance, you should still apply. The worst thing that UBC will say is no. It doesn't to hurt to try at all...other than the money and the time required to apply.

I don't have the greatest stats either and I feel intimidated as well but I honestly think you should give it a go. At least if you apply and you get regrets during the application cycle, you will receive feedback on what you can do to improve your scores.

If you look through some threads for this application cycle (as well as the last few), you will see that some really supportive members on these forums have gotten in with those stats (though they also had impressive NAQs and I'm sure great personalities that carried them through the interview process). But they all have encouraged people to give it a shot

Good luck!

My opinion is that even if all you believe you have is a 2% chance, you should still apply.

This. I applied thinking I had zero chance of getting an interview, then got one! You never know what'll happen. Unless your GPA is like 50% or something, then maybe not.

Archived