Premed 101 Forums

Medical School GPA

I am an incoming first year medical student, and I have always heard that Medical School is pass or fail.

However, when I talked to some first year medical students, they say that you get a percentage grade associated with your pass or fail.

My question is: Do the CARMS reviewers know your actual percentage grade or do they only see a P/F on your application?

Also, others have told me that by getting good grades in medical school, you can get academic scholarships within the faculty of medicine. These scholarships seem to indicate your academic performance and are looked upon favorably in a carms application. Is this true?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

When you have honours (top 5% or 10%) and academic scholarships, if would be looked upon favourably in a CARMS application. I have known people who have honours and scholarships and who matched to their top notch residency...

On the other hand, it's a lot of work and stressful...Unless you are aiming for a very competitive specialty, try to enjoy your first year of medical school :)

I am an incoming first year medical student, and I have always heard that Medical School is pass or fail.

However, when I talked to some first year medical students, they say that you get a percentage grade associated with your pass or fail.

My question is: Do the CARMS reviewers know your actual percentage grade or do they only see a P/F on your application?

Also, others have told me that by getting good grades in medical school, you can get academic scholarships within the faculty of medicine. These scholarships seem to indicate your academic performance and are looked upon favorably in a carms application. Is this true?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the responses!

I am attending UBC, so we only have P/F (no honors)

So I guess GPA does not matter in a traditional sense (since carms people only see P/F). But in a way, because the medical school keeps an internal ranking of marks, getting good grades results in getting internal scholarships. And those scholarships mean better matching results. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the responses!

I am attending UBC, so we only have P/F (no honors)

So I guess GPA does not matter in a traditional sense (since carms people only see P/F). But in a way, because the medical school keeps an internal ranking of marks, getting good grades results in getting internal scholarships. And those scholarships mean better matching results. Am I missing anything?

No, except that there are relatively few scholarships so it isn't that useful of a most people in the top 10% still won't get one and those are great students :)

In other word programs have adapted to knowing often great students don't get one - grades just aren't anywhere near as important as clerkship reviews and LOR. The world will get progressively more subjective as you advance through medicine to beyond.

Archived