Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a shot? - 43 MCAT + 2.9-3.0 GPA

and the second one from the same thread:

"Other than maybe Toronto, all canadian medical schools are on par with mid tier American Schools, sometimes even below them. For example my school wasa a mid tier american school, and they had robotic surgery for gyn onc. The only place in Canada that had it? Toronto. We routinely did laprascopic surgery in Gyn, while it was just starting to break ground in Canada. I worked along side people who trained in John Hopkins, MGH, MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering to name a few. Doubt any canadian medical school will give you that opportunity. Yes, I payed for the experience, especially as a Canadian...there are no easy loans you can get. But its the SAME cost of going to a Caribbean school. In addition, the support I got by the school was amazing whenever I wanted to. eg. calling on my behalf to residency programs to get me a more favorable spot on the rank list. Also most importantly if I wanted to Radiology, Plastics, or any other field was open to me after I graduated. As a Caribbean medical school graduate unless you are 99.9999%tile you can say bye to any competitive speciality."

not sure of the timeline here but I did all of that at Western and had similar opportunities on elective at many other schools in Canada. The only way a medical school in the US could offer something not available in Canada is if that technique etc was not available anywhere in Canada as all the medical schools are at the major Hospitals and medical students are not excluded from things :) and of course we have people from major US schools working at our schools here - and they have people working there who were trained here. I have worked with brilliant people from all over the place. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if OP will get into Canadian schools with that mcat score, if op doesn't then this thread should prove something that is obvious.

American medical school admissions process and policy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Canadian medical school admissions process and policy

I haven't read the followed the entire thread but did op apply to Canadian schools?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is definitely physician saturation in Canada, especially for surgical specialties - in major cities. This will only get worse after 10 years, when current students are fully fledged physicians. I think it is a good decision going to a US MD school and then deciding whether to match into Canada or US residencies. It will keep your doors open imo.

Archived