Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a shot? - 43 MCAT + 2.9-3.0 GPA

Just thought I'd poke my head in here to offer some support for the other folks who haven't heard anything (or very little). I submitted primary on nearly the same date as two0nline and received only one interview invite. However, I haven't received any rejections either, so I guess that's nice. Looks like a stellar (read: Godly) MCAT earns you the right to hear from schools super early.

Most USA MD schools joined EDP early decision program with AMCAS, which allow applicants only applied to ONE MD school before 1st Oct.

So the schhols with EDP are busy to deal with these EDP applicants right now. Your II are coming, please share with us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 3.17 OMSAS cGPA (3.8 and 3.95 in my last two years) and MCAT score of 37 (12P/13V/12B)

Would I have a shot at any US schools? Would I be able to qualify for any scholarships/financial aid?

Need another year of 4.0, but okay shot if you have strong ECs. Likely, no you won't get scholarships. US is expensive so be prepared to shell out the full amounts.

Just thought I'd poke my head in here to offer some support for the other folks who haven't heard anything (or very little). I submitted primary on nearly the same date as two0nline and received only one interview invite. However, I haven't received any rejections either, so I guess that's nice. Looks like a stellar (read: Godly) MCAT earns you the right to hear from schools super early.

Emotocon, you were bold to apply to Yale, Mayo, and Brown.  Are they dream schools that you saw no harm in applying too, or do you meet/exceed their competitive cGPA/MCAT averages?  In either case, good for you.  I didn't go to Brown or Yale, but I went to a nearby university and they're all beautiful campuses.  Have you had a chance to visit any of them?

Emotocon, you were bold to apply to Yale, Mayo, and Brown.  Are they dream schools that you saw no harm in applying too, or do you meet/exceed their competitive cGPA/MCAT averages?  In either case, good for you.  I didn't go to Brown or Yale, but I went to a nearby university and they're all beautiful campuses.  Have you had a chance to visit any of them?

I am above their median GPA's and right on top of the median MCAT for these schools. I know my decision was quite bold, but I don't want to go down to the states for anything less than a great school. Unfortunately, I haven't visited those campuses, but I am aware of their reputation. If the stars align, perhaps I will get the chance to soon!

I am above their median GPA's and right on top of the median MCAT for these schools. I know my decision was quite bold, but I don't want to go down to the states for anything less than a great school. Unfortunately, I haven't visited those campuses, but I am aware of their reputation. If the stars align, perhaps I will get the chance to soon!

Hi, Emotocon, I'm also very interested in your schools choices:

0. For Emory because CDC is there?

1. Why Saskatchewan but not Manitoba?

2. Why Geisel and Brown but not Weill and Columbia?

3. Why Virginia but not Virginia Commonwealth?

4. Why Yale and Stanford but not Harvard, Duke, Johns Haopkins, Washington U. St. Louis?

Your choices are opposite from mine except Emory, I'm interested your reasons.

Hi, Emotocon, I'm also very interested in your schools choices:

0. For Emory because CDC is there?

1. Why Saskatchewan but not Manitoba?

2. Why Geisel and Brown but not Weill and Columbia?

3. Why Virginia but not Virginia Commonwealth?

4. Why Yale and Stanford but not Harvard, Duke, Johns Haopkins, Washington U. St. Louis?

Your choices are opposite from mine except Emory, I'm interested your reasons.

0. Nope. I had just heard it is an amazing school and I did a little bit of a reading on their global health residency program. Disease control is cool, but I lack experience in the area of microbiology and virology.

1. Saskatchewan is actually quite tentative at this point due to the high MCAT required and the probation. Honestly, I haven't even looked into Manitoba, but I think I should! Thanks.

2, 3, 4. Although I don't remember exactly, but I believe I eliminated a great deal of schools because I lacked required courses or reference letters. I only have one academic reference, which I consider quite weak compared to my other ones. I can dig up the details if you really want to know, but at this point maybe this answer will suffice.

Edit: Yeah, Manitoba's MCAT averages are too high for me. Saskatchewan I might have a shot though!

0. Nope. I had just heard it is an amazing school and I did a little bit of a reading on their global health residency program. Disease control is cool, but I lack experience in the area of microbiology and virology.

1. Saskatchewan is actually quite tentative at this point due to the high MCAT required and the probation. Honestly, I haven't even looked into Manitoba, but I think I should! Thanks.

2, 3, 4. Although I don't remember exactly, but I believe I eliminated a great deal of schools because I lacked required courses or reference letters. I only have one academic reference, which I consider quite weak compared to my other ones. I can dig up the details if you really want to know, but at this point maybe this answer will suffice.

Edit: Yeah, Manitoba's MCAT averages are too high for me. Saskatchewan I might have a shot though!

Thanks a lot to share your reasons. Can't believe we're on the same boat but going totally different direction/destination. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I dont want to post publicly the schools name yet, I havent made up my mind if thats a good idea or not. But its definitely a school that I wouldnt mind attending. I'll be going there for sure unless I get something better. As well, Im probably going to be pulling my applications from Queens and Western as anywhere in the States was my first choice. Good luck to everyone waiting on responses!

hey congrats! - see it all worked out :)

To be honest man, if it wasnt for you I probably wouldnt have applied to the States. I owe you big time. Much love, and if Im ever in Ottawa I owe you a beaver tail and some shawarma from rideau street.

And me to an extent :P. glad it all worked out 209, you'll be great! I wouldn't pull western though, just ride it out. You don't want any regrets regardless of what amazing us schools you get into!

Archived