Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a shot? - 43 MCAT + 2.9-3.0 GPA

I'd like to keep that to myself for now. But I'll say that I've gotten a hand full of interviews so far, all of them from top 30 schools, I've also gotten a handful of rejections, but it seems that a lot of them are looking past my GPA and are giving credit to my upwards trend. The school I mentioned earlier which is my dream school is a top ten school. 

glad to hear things are working out! I figured you should be applying to the US - it is good that is producing results :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I ask a stupid question since i'm also applying in this cycle: do they send you an email saying that they won't give you an interview, or do they just say nothing and hold forever until the class is filled? BTW when was your primary verified? thank you in advance.

If it was verified(sent out to schools) then that is not too late at all. With competitive stats it isn't huge difference. Your turn will come.

except one of my ref didn't send it his letter until the 29th. Anyways, no point complaining now (although it does seem I am the one who complains the most on this forum...weird...I guess when you are stressed you do a lot of things you don't normally do...)

Just thought I'd poke my head in here to offer some support for the other folks who haven't heard anything (or very little). I submitted primary on nearly the same date as two0nline and received only one interview invite. However, I haven't received any rejections either, so I guess that's nice. Looks like a stellar (read: Godly) MCAT earns you the right to hear from schools super early.

I think the whole "Lizzy M" score theory might be true based on what Ive experience so far. That being said there were also schools that rejected me quickly when I had lizzy m scores that were higher. I have some good ECs such as publications but thats it. I expect a lot of rejection post-interview, I know that at this point some if not most of the schools are still just humouring me. 

It's common for USA MD schools to use LizzyM score to rank applicants before interview.

LizzyM score = cGPA*10 + MCAT

So cGPA 3.8 *10 + MCAT 32 = LizzyM score 70

AMCAS will calculate TWO GPA for each applicant, one is overall cGPA,

the other is BCPM (Biology-Chemistry-Physics-Math) or science GPA.

Most schools use BCPM GPA for cut-off.

I like the concept of using Lizzy M score for interview ranking, it's easy, effective and FAIR.

This happened super quickly, but I've officially heard back from all schools. 9 Interviews, 12 rejections. I was expecting to hear back closer to November. I've talked to my PI at the lab Im at right now and I'll definitely be attending all interviews. I've set them from early september to mid october. The schools were very accommodating in moving around dates that conflicted with other schools. Super excited, hoping for a couple of acceptances!

Mathematically speaking, you're right on your money. Applied 23 schools and got 9 interviews should be landed with more than couple acceptances.

If you have balanced GPA around 3.6~3.8 each year, with your MCAT 43, you may got 20+ interviews. Congratulations!

Archived