Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a shot? - 43 MCAT + 2.9-3.0 GPA

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apply to queens, UWO, Ottawa, and Mac. If that doesn't net you any interviews, then you will have to do a Special Masters Program(SMP) for 1 year in the US, do well and youll be gauranteed a US MD acceptance. Your extreme upward trend and astonishing mcat are amazing, but unfortunately they won't look over the 3.0 overall, until you do an SMP for a year, then you are set.

wouldn't he even have a shot at US MD without doing an SMP? I mean I thought US schools favour the MCAT, especially the ivy league. If I were the OP I'd apply broadly to low, middle, and upper tier schools. Liberal schools like Harvard may be willing to accept a student with a low GPA but stellar MCAT. Some schools are willing to take risks.

I highly suggest you apply asap to american schools and see what kind of results you get. If you don't get any acceptances/interviews, then definitely do an SMP.

I mean unless a school has a GPA cutoff, you can technically still apply and be evaluated fully.

If Harvard wanted to, they could fill their whole class with 4.0 and 38+s. but they don't. Ivy leagues require amazing leadership skills and worldly involvements. An international with a 3.0 overall would not get a second look, unless they do and SMP and do well. Then they are set for multiple acceptances with the 40+.

I'd agree most with canucks_14. If I were OP I'd apply broadly.

Some of you believe the US MD schools won't overlook the GPA, but considering OP's MCAT and last few years were great, I suspect they will.

Any shools that use hard screens (some, but definitely not all) OP'll have no shot at, but OP has very clearly demonstrated the ability to perform academically and I expect any holistic review (used by most US MD schools) will gladly accept OP judging on academics (other components to be seen, however).

i dont think you have a shot, i know DO schools have a computer screen for 3.0

(which means MDs probably have a 3.5 screen)-- your mcat is amazing, but your gpa will draw red flags and will be brought up at interviews

schools will wonder?...was this a fluke MCAT? or was he really lazy for 4 years or did the kid for some reason not perform due to other situations?

etc etc

Hey Guys, I need some advice on how to move forward. Here's my story.

I have a cGPA of roughly a 3.0 (maybe slightly lower on the med school scale). My cGPA at my school however with repeated classes, is a 4.0. Basically I spent about two and a half years screwing around. I regret it deeply and wish I could take it back. My most recent two and a half years worth of classes are straight As and A+s. Not even an A-. I recently got my MCAT score back and I scored a 43. I know that Im not the student I was before, and I know that I can excel in Med school and in grad programs.

My question is this. Do you guys think that there are any US schools that would look at my application despite my GPA? I have a ton of volunteering, clinical, and research experience. And a couple of fairly unique ECs as well. Just the GPA is really making me self conscious about my app.

I'd appreciate any input you guys would have.

Thank you.

??????????????

US mds average ALL classes, so it doesnt matter what your school gpa is

and hense you are a 3.0 (only DOs take the highest- if its confirmed to be the same class)

MANY schools have filters.....it might not be a computer, it maybe someone in the front desk looking at your file.

i have NEVER heard of a sub 3.5 get accepted into a "top" teir US medical school as a canadian, kudos on being the minority (possibly anecdotal evidence thats likely not true or they have a phd)

with respect to DO, you have a good shot and will probably get interviews-- however their selection is very bizzare (as 4.0 might not get interviews while a 3.0 will)

and the mcat comment- everyone works hard for a mcat- the difference between a 42 and a 45 comes down to several handful of questions, a 4 year gpa of sub 3.0 seems speaks volumes vs a perfect mcat- they will grill you on this

-- goodluck.

Being canadian i think your file will face the cutoff train with respect to MDs the retakes will give you a DO acceptance

Not sure if these "screens" really exist...

It's well known that American schools look at your entire application, holistically.

If you're low in one category, but have excellent credentials elsewhere in your application, I think you'll be fine (i.e. crazy amount of long term volunteering, superb reference letters, amazing research experience with medical conference presentations and first author publication, etc.).

no they don't its a load of bull told by others to keep those with low stats to apply giving. when it comes down to it its gpa and mcat

the interview = the "holistic"

I know I might not have a great shot but I think you're crazy to think that they will say the MCAT score was a fluke. I worked my ass off for a 43 and theres no way you can "fluke" a 40+ MCAT score. Not to mention I have three straight academic years of straight As.

Also your MD "screen" assumption is not true as well. I know plenty of people who have gotten into top MD programs with under 3.5 GPAs.

Also DO schools calculate GPA with the repeated grade being counted. So Im fine for DO schools.

Canadian schools are your best shot, OR do a SMP and you are set for an MD acceptance. DO is set too, but new changes make you an IMG.

Not sure if these "screens" really exist...

It's well known that American schools look at your entire application, holistically.

If you're low in one category, but have excellent credentials elsewhere in your application, I think you'll be fine (i.e. crazy amount of long term volunteering, superb reference letters, amazing research experience with medical conference presentations and first author publication, etc.).

They do exist, when you go through the process yourself and talk with schools you will know more.

no they don't its a load of bull told by others to keep those with low stats to apply giving. when it comes down to it its gpa and mcat

the interview = the "holistic"

Do the SMP and you'll likely do very well. IF you have a GPA of 3.5 and greater then with your MCAT, you'll likely get an acceptance from the SMP school itself. I heard EVMS sends you to second year if you do their SMP.

US schools are MORE holistic than Canadian schools but they also screen to make a floor. I'm sorry but the 3.0 GPA is on the low side.

Do the SMP and you'll likely do very well. IF you have a GPA of 3.5 and greater then with your MCAT, you'll likely get an acceptance from the SMP school itself. I heard EVMS sends you to second year if you do their SMP.

US schools are MORE holistic than Canadian schools but they also screen to make a floor. I'm sorry but the 3.0 GPA is on the low side.

you hear a lot about the upward trends in GPA mattering for the US - how would that play a role? On paper there has been considerable improvement for the OP in the last few years.

your canadian, and theres tons of applicants

you are the bottom of the barrel....no one one wants you. Unless your leaps and bounds above the american students, your always at a disadvantage.

GPA is to low for MD (you will get stuck at interviews..ive seen many people get interviews and cannot get acceptance year after year

)

DO will be acceptance

id do Canada if theres a shot 4 you

DO to get it over with

then smp

then another undergrad/reapply again

all the best dude

just my 2 cents

you hear a lot about the upward trends in GPA mattering for the US - how would that play a role? On paper there has been considerable improvement for the OP in the last few years.

Upward trends are highly revered but overall GPA is still important to make it above some cutoff.

I would strongly consider an SMP! However, to save money you may consider taking their equivalent courses here in Canada so you can demonstrate academic achievment in relevant courses.

If you haven't already OP, go on the SDN forums (google it) and ask the same question. It's basically a US premed101, but they know their own system better and there are even some verified adcom members who post on there (e.g. LizzyM, who's an adcom at a top tier school). They can tell you with more certainty how things work.

If you haven't already OP, go on the SDN forums (google it) and ask the same question. It's basically a US premed101, but they know their own system better and there are even some verified adcom members who post on there (e.g. LizzyM, who's an adcom at a top tier school). They can tell you with more certainty how things work.

don't be afraid to let us know here as well if you find out something. The SDN forums are a very good resource.

Archived