Premed 101 Forums

Backpack 2014. Finally.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Genius way for the company to market themselves.

The company is owned by the CMA, which means most med students already are part owners due to their provincial medical association membership. It's not near as greasy as it seems.

This is a company whose entire mission is to help doctors manage their wealth without trying to squeeze them for profit. They offer a ton of free neutral advice for med students/residents/staff regarding all kinds of financial matters. Given the financial requirements of medical training and the resultant enormous debt, it's a relationship we should encourage.

The company is owned by the CMA, which means most med students already are part owners due to their provincial medical association membership. It's not near as greasy as it seems.

This is a company whose entire mission is to help doctors manage their wealth without trying to squeeze them for profit. They offer a ton of free neutral advice for med students/residents/staff regarding all kinds of financial matters. Given the financial requirements of medical training and the resultant enormous debt, it's a relationship we should encourage.

Does anyone know why Ottawa gives its students their own bags?

ban on corporate sponsorship of any kind.

Which makes zero sense because the students with an OMA/CMA membership are already paying for their services anyway.

God forbid students be exposed to a company, that most already pay for, and who operate with physician's best interest in mind. Better to let them stay on the same level as big banks and for profit insurance companies.

Which makes zero sense because the students with an OMA/CMA membership are already paying for their services anyway.

God forbid students be exposed to a company, that most already pay for, and who operate with physician's best interest in mind. Better to let them stay on the same level as big banks and for profit insurance companies.

The policy is from the university as a whole though, rather than the med school. I guess they can't get around it, regardless of how logical it is.

well it is kind of hard for them to make one off exceptions I suppose. It isn't a medical school rule either - it is the entire university as I understand it.

Plus through their services other external to the CMA receive income. Their LOC is actually through the national bank for instance as simple investment which would be the main service a student would be using. There are other examples as well later on.

I like the idea of MD financial but I guess I always cast a critical eye towards any investment company, and believe you need to learn for yourself prior to interacting with them to protect yourself. MD financial has improved a lot of their services - although it wasn't that long ago that they were not generating great returns and I know many doctors where not at all happy about that. They have adapted over course.

Yes, MD Management certainly is an evil corporation, what with its non-for-profit structure designed to maximize benefit for its membership.

I wonder if you could even make an exception actually - I mean as soon as you let one every other bank/investment/insurance company is going to say you have to grant fair access.

Looks like I won't be using mine, guess I'll see once I see it in person though. I would've liked a darker forest green a lot better, though I wouldn't have minded a light green the way it looked in the video--more subdued and not so glowy.

Interesting. The actual color seems somewhat different from the one revealed initially. Looks like a series of neon bags are in progress!

Looks like I won't be using mine, guess I'll see once I see it in person though. I would've liked a darker forest green a lot better, though I wouldn't have minded a light green the way it looked in the video--more subdued and not so glowy.

I wouldn't call it neon. Especially not after it's accumulated a couple days of light dirt. ;)

Plus, for me at least, it's about the tradition, not fashion.

Archived