Premed 101 Forums

your biggest mistake/failure

Guest dummy

Guest dummy

i've seen this question very often...and i was kind of worried about it. I cannot really think of any mistake of magnitude that i've committed, except one. And that one is pretty personal...and im not sure if i wanna share it. I mean....as far as mistakes go...we've all made our fair share....but are we gonna talk about them??i mean when i was 6 i got caught stealing a 5cent candy.....im obviously not gonna say that....what should we focus on??

perhaps a bad grade in one of our classes??

this is such a dumb question i know....its not like there is any one answer...im just worried that if i say "my biggest failure/mistake was recieving a sub-par grade in org. chem" i will come off conceded....what do u think?

Guest UWOMED2005

Why not mention the candy theft when you were 6? Sounds like you still feel bad about it - mentioning it would show you're honest but that you have morals as you still feel bad about it. Unless, of course you didn't feel bad about it - in which case you probably shouldn't bring it up.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest doogiehowser1313

I am applying for early assurance at one of the US medical schools. (If your not familiar with early assurance, its a program where I can apply in my sophomore year and the med school makes an acceptance decision based on current grades/standings/etc. without seeing the MCAT scores) .

I would have to say my biggest mistake was not applying early enough to undergrad school. In fact, the only reason I applied to the school I am currently at is b/c my girlfriend had an extra fee-waived application and I had the time to fill it out. After being accepted and touring the campus I immediately fell in love with the area and the college.

This late application caused me to miss the deadline for almost all of the major scholarships (i.e. the community service, music, etc.). Consequently, I am not on a full-ride which I know I could have been had I made the deadlines.

Should I bring this up? or should I find another "major mistake?"

(ALSO NOTE: This is part of the reason I am applying early assurance now instead of waiting to do my research!)

Thanks

DoogieHowser1313

doogiehowser1313: It sounds like your example is fine. Just remember, I think it's more important what you learned from your greatest failure/mistake. BTW, I received this as my on-site essay topic for UC.

Cheers!

Archived