Premed 101 Forums

Additional Courses

Hey everyone,

So I'm taking some first year science courses through Athabasca this year as I never took them during my undergrad.  I understand that this is not a requirement for NOSM, though having two full credits in science is recommended. 

I am not taking these courses to improve my GPA.  It also says on the website "Additional undergraduate courses completed after a degree is awarded are not used in the GPA unless these are part of a second undergraduate degree that will be completed prior to June 30th of the year of potential enrolment at NOSM"; this obviously does not apply in my case.

The whole reason I'm doing this is to get back into the groove of studying and gain a basic background in the sciences so I might feel more prepared for a successful first year should I be accepted to NOSM.

My concern is this:  whereas biology is going well, I am struggling with chemistry.  If my marks come mid-year are viewed by the NOSM adcom and my chem isn't great (ie, in the 60s or 70s), will this be a strike against my application during a more subjective phase of the admissions process (ie, looking at my application as a whole)?

Beef, jojo, I'd be interested to hear your speculations on this :)

Hope everyone is having a great start to the year, whether NOSM student or NOSM hopeful!

RR

Hey everyone,

So I'm taking some first year science courses through Athabasca this year as I never took them during my undergrad.  I understand that this is not a requirement for NOSM, though having two full credits in science is recommended. 

I am not taking these courses to improve my GPA.  It also says on the website "Additional undergraduate courses completed after a degree is awarded are not used in the GPA unless these are part of a second undergraduate degree that will be completed prior to June 30th of the year of potential enrolment at NOSM"; this obviously does not apply in my case.

The whole reason I'm doing this is to get back into the groove of studying and gain a basic background in the sciences so I might feel more prepared for a successful first year should I be accepted to NOSM.

My concern is this:  whereas biology is going well, I am struggling with chemistry.  If my marks come mid-year are viewed by the NOSM adcom and my chem isn't great (ie, in the 60s or 70s), will this be a strike against my application during a more subjective phase of the admissions process (ie, looking at my application as a whole)?

Beef, jojo, I'd be interested to hear your speculations on this :)

Hope everyone is having a great start to the year, whether NOSM student or NOSM hopeful!

RR

Can you take online courses to fulfill prereq?

Since your GPA is only calculated by NOSM from a completed degree, and it is stated that any courses after graduation won't be taken into account, I would assume they won't even look at those marks. Having done two sciences may look good since they recommend it but if you're applying to NOSM this year they probably won't even look at that at all. If you're applying next year I'm sure it would be beneficial for them to see that you did the courses but I don't think your marks in them would be looked at. 

This whole situation is a little odd though, i'd just email them and ask. They're very nice and usually get back to me right away:P

Archived