Premed 101 Forums

Let The Waiting Games Begin!

I was surprised by the MMI. I thought the stations would be more difficult, but was overall very pleased. I think I talked too much in my panel - we almost ran out of time! It was pleasant enough, though. All my interviewers ended up smiling and nodding in agreement with me.

I'm jealous that the NL applicants find out in February and I have to wait until April!

My first time as well, and I enjoyed the experience. However, I honestly had a lot grief with one of the stations. Without giving away any specifics of the question, I thought this interviewer was really unprofessional. He kept interrupting me, wouldn't allow me to answer any of the questions, literally told me that I was being "roundabout", and kept interjecting my answers with "and what else". What was terrifically awful was that when I started off my question by first trying to summarize what I thought the specifics of the scenario is, that I was playing a specific role, he then interjected me by saying " oh, so you're a ---- now, are you?" In actually seriously upset. I did my best to remain polite and calm, I tried to give my answers even when he kept; frankly, being so antagonistic, but I really do want to file a complaint. Talking to some of the other applicants as well, they also experienced a similar situation with this interviewer particularly. Is there any way that I can contact that university about this? Did anyone else experience this?

Other than that, I thought my interview went well overall. I actually had a lot of fun with it, I didn't really feel nervous. I think that I gave my best with what was given, and the questions were really nice too! It was really nice to talk to the other applicants as well, they were all really nice and fun people.

My first time as well, and I enjoyed the experience. However, I honestly had a lot grief with one of the stations. Without giving away any specifics of the question, I thought this interviewer was really unprofessional. He kept interrupting me, wouldn't allow me to answer any of the questions, literally told me that I was being "roundabout", and kept interjecting my answers with "and what else". What was terrifically awful was that when I started off my question by first trying to summarize what I thought the specifics of the scenario is, that I was playing a specific role, he then interjected me by saying " oh, so you're a ---- now, are you?" In actually seriously upset. I did my best to remain polite and calm, I tried to give my answers even when he kept; frankly, being so antagonistic, but I really do want to file a complaint. Talking to some of the other applicants as well, they also experienced a similar situation with this interviewer particularly. Is there any way that I can contact that university about this? Did anyone else experience this?

Other than that, I thought my interview went well overall. I actually had a lot of fun with it, I didn't really feel nervous. I think that I gave my best with what was given, and the questions were really nice too! It was really nice to talk to the other applicants as well, they were all really nice and fun people.

That sounds really unprofessional. I definitely wouldn't have handled that situation very well. I have no idea about whether you can contact the school but if so it sounds like someone should be made aware of the situation. 

That sounds really unprofessional. I definitely wouldn't have handled that situation very well. I have no idea about whether you can contact the school but if so it sounds like someone should be made aware of the situation.

I talked to a moderator here on the forum, and they stated that it's possible the evaluator was instructed to act that way, to see how we would deal with that situation and whether we would crack or not I suppose. I'm a little conflicted right now, I don't want to be flagged unnecessarily if this interviewer really did make a mistake, and I don't want to look entitled or ride if I do send a complaint about it either?

I'm just not sure honestly.

I talked to a moderator here on the forum, and they stated that it's possible the evaluator was instructed to act that way, to see how we would deal with that situation and whether we would crack or not I suppose. I'm a little conflicted right now, I don't want to be flagged unnecessarily if this interviewer really did make a mistake, and I don't want to look entitled or ride if I do send a complaint about it either?

I'm just not sure honestly.

I don't know whether different time groups/different letters had different scenarios, but I can tell you that none of my interviewers acted even remotely close to that. They were all really easy-going and seemed receptive to what we were saying. 

It's possible they could have been instructed. Given the fact that it's entirely possible to do poorly on one station and overall do fine, I'm not sure I would go through with an official complaint. That's my personal opinion though and it's ultimately up to you.

I don't know whether different time groups/different letters had different scenarios, but I can tell you that none of my interviewers acted even remotely close to that. They were all really easy-going and seemed receptive to what we were saying.

That's why I was particularly surprised as well, because all my other interviewers definitely did not have that attitude. Also when I was talking to the other applicants in my group they all also stated that he has acted similarly in their scenarios as well. I think I'll call the admissions office and ask if an evaluator can purposefully try to frustrate the applicant as part of the process. If not then I'll send a complaint. If so, then I don't know, maybe it really is part of the process.

Edit: thanks for the advice guys. It is honestly really helpful, I just didn't want to do anything rash in this scenario. And just to clarify, I'm not mad that I think I did badly, I actually felt pretty good overall. I was just taken aback by one particular scenario. I've also had to deal with discrimination before, so I'm just very cautious about situations like these. Not saying that this particular incident had any indications that he was being discriminatory, but I'd rather not take any chances that he was being unfair for whatever reason.

I would like to point out that I also had an assessor who continued to interrupt me throughout the entire 8 minutes. I highly doubt all of us were on the exact same track so maybe they were assessing how we react to abrasive or arrogant personalities. Who knows. Otherwise, went well. Good luck to all!

PS - loved the Game of Loans video!! Is there a link for it yet??

I'm so glad you guys liked it! I have to submit the video to admissions and they are going to put it up on the MUN Med youtube channel, and I'll embed the video on a post here once that's done.  Great meeting everyone today!

Hello everyone! Just an update regarding the situation I previously posted, I called the admissions office today regarding the issue that I faced. They were very friendly, and assured me that my questions about the process and my possible filing of a complaint would not in any way impact my application. I won't say any names either, but I have been contacted by someone else who definitely experienced similar issues with the same interviewer. They were definitely not in the same group as I was either.

I would honestly advise people who did feel like they encountered an interviewer with an unprofessional attitude to contact the admissions office. They are very kind and receptive, and this isn't something that will impact your application. It may also help out other students. If you guys are really uncomfortable, or maybe your unsure that you experienced the same issue with this evaluator in particular you can always PM me about it. We are bound by confidentiality, but if you remember details about what they were wearing or anything like that then I may be able to say whether or not it was the same evaluator. I understand that it's difficult to know what to do here, or you maybe scared. Even if you don't want to talk to the office, but you still want to talk about whatever your specific issue was I'd be happy to listen to you via PM.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anxious to find out! Anyone know when to expect notifications? End of month? Earlier this year? Who has the inside scoop?

Me too!

Last year applicants received notification somewhere around the end of February (25th ish) but the Important Dates section of the website just says "February 2015". I assume that it is likely to be towards the end of the month, but I guess any time in February is fair game.

Good luck! :)  

Archived