Premed 101 Forums

Moving To Yukon For Ip Status

rupchatt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would it be a bad idea? if you want to go live in the yukon for a few years and gain some experience, nothing wrong with that. The simple act of gaining IP may not actually help that much, if you dont have the ECs/Grades regardless. So if you went and made a great experience out of it, then yeah that would be great!

If I don't get in after my first attempt, I'll be moving to Alberta for IP status. There is no point in staying in Ontario when my chances are the same each year.

They are changing the rules this year starting next year. So you have to live in Alberta for 2 years to be considered IP (this is confirmed they announced it earlier this year). And all Alberta med schools will require you to write the 2015 MCAT. I just want to make it clear to you before you make plans.

Also, for Yukon does anyone know how long you have to live there?

For UBC, 6 months. Just have to make sure that you have your Care-Card and you're set. 

For Alberta, 1 year. For calgary 2 years.

For saskatchewan, 3 years.

I don't think Manitoba has IP preference for yukon residents. 

You should check each school's rules just in case I got one wrong or if the rules changed.

Yea I know a guy in Gr.11 right now who wants to go into med. I told him if he really wants it he should move to the Yukon or NWT for Gr.12. Doesn`t listen. The guy doesn`t realize what a goldmine it is to med admissions.

I cant be certain but it was either Memorial or Dal (or both) that had seats for Yukon NWT. So you can become IP for several schools.

Yea I know a guy in Gr.11 right now who wants to go into med. I told him if he really wants it he should move to the Yukon or NWT for Gr.12. Doesn`t listen. The guy doesn`t realize what a goldmine it is to med admissions.

I cant be certain but it was either Memorial or Dal (or both) that had seats for Yukon NWT. So you can become IP for several schools.

But don't you have to live in Yukon for 3 years to qualify for residency?

Yes it is three years. This is ridicolous, why not just work hard in your own province.Like others have said nothing beats a hard work ethic.

It's not 3 years. It's 6 months for UBC. 1 year for alberta, 2 years for calgary. And 3 years for saskatchewan

Three years for the memorial seat. As to OP if it is a bad idea. I say it depends. If you think you will be competitive then why not. But also remember this is just to have a *chance* (key word here) at admissions as an IP. You have to remember just like Ontario there are exceptional applicants that are IP as well. But instead you won't have your support system you have in your home province. So I think it depends on your circumstance. For example if you did terrible on the MCAT why would you move to Manitoba where the MCAT is 70% of the admission process. If you are a marginal applicant in Ontario you might a good applicant somewhere else but that still isn't a guarantee as many premeds think it is.

Yes it is three years. This is ridicolous, why not just work hard in your own province.Like others have said nothing beats a hard work ethic.

Getting status does not preclude you from having to work hard. You still need to be a very strong applicant regardless, status just gives you a few more potential options.

I am already borderline competitive here in Ontario. I have a 3.9+ wGPA and stellar EC's. But I would rather not keep applying in Ontario since there is not much more I can do with my GPA. I can do the same EC's in alberta or any other province, so I might as well do that while having IP status.

I am already borderline competitive here in Ontario. I have a 3.9+ wGPA and stellar EC's. But I would rather not keep applying in Ontario since there is not much more I can do with my GPA. I can do the same EC's in alberta or any other province, so I might as well do that while having IP status.

Those stats should be enough to get you into any school in Ontario. Just be careful you don't lose your residency for some schools in Ontario by moving and read all the guidelines before you make this decision. I would also clarify by calling up all the medical schools within the province. For UofA my friend didn't classify as a resident for UofA according to the admission office since he didn't change his permanent address to within Alberta. 

Those stats should be enough to get you into any school in Ontario. Just be careful you don't lose your residency for some schools in Ontario by moving and read all the guidelines before you make this decision. I would also clarify by calling up all the medical schools within the province. For UofA my friend didn't classify as a resident for UofA according to the admission office since he didn't change his permanent address to within Alberta.

I hope that I get in. I'm considering the move only if I don't get accepted after my first attempt. I'm not SWOMEN or Rural so ontario has no geographical benefits for me (except maybe for Mac). I may be paranoid, but looking at the invite/regrets stats shows how excruciatingly competitive it is for Ontario residents to get accepted.

That's unfortunate for your friend, I will definitely make sure my residency will be legitimate for alberta

I'm from Ontario and moved to the NWT for a year, specifically for the job prospects and because I was interested in the north.  Personally, I would not be able to move some place primarily for an IP status in a med school application (but that's just me). In fact, I'm not using my NWT residence status in any med school applications. But, as @ubc2012 said, if someone is willing to move halfway across the country for applications, more power to them.

As someone who has an outside shot of getting into med school (and who is not even convinced that med school is the right choice for me), here are my thoughts on moving to northern Canada:

1.  Living in the north will make you stand out in any application (be it med school or grad school or employment).  

2.  Depending on your qualifications, you are likely going to get a more prestigious job in the territories than in somewhere like Toronto (but not definitely - I have qualified friends here who not employed in their field).  That job experience will also look good in any application (be it med school or grad school or employment).

3.  Living in the north (or any part of Canada where you didn't grow up) would be an interesting experience, and would help you develop as a person.  

4.  Living in the north is NOT for everyone.   I've had some amazing experiences here, but there are also some things I really dislike about it.  I would recommend visiting before deciding to move, to see if it's the right fit for you.  

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it :)

Is this a bad idea? lol

Are you not the same person who keeps making horrible comments about reserving seats for aboriginals in another thread? 

I would say in that case, moving to the Yukon would be a terrible idea and you would probably not have a good experience there....

Are you not the same person who keeps making horrible comments about reserving seats for aboriginals in another thread? 

I would say in that case, moving to the Yukon would be a terrible idea and you would probably not have a good experience there....

lol owned. I think he just wants to go to yukon to steal aboriginal seats. 

Archived