Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta Interview Discussion 2015

Can anyone who has been invited tell me how the interview booking works? Is it first come first serve or can people begin booking at a certain date?

There is no interview booking. If you received an interview, they have already slotted you in with an interview date/time (found in your invitation email). All you have to do is go to the U of A application page and either accept or reject the invite and add a photo of yourself.

Good luck!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the number of interview invites is the same this year... 

EDIT: In 2014, there were 408 Alberta residents and 65 OoP applicants invited for interview for a total of 473. The success rate for Albertan residents was 23.1%, and 15.2% for all applicants.

(Source: http://www.afmc.ca/ )

EDIT: Looks like the class size has been decreasing every year; in 2010 there were 183 seats, compared to 162 seats in 2014.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

It's becoming more and more competitive. I e-mailed the faculty and asked about application numbers this year. They wouldn't tell me the numbers, but just stated that "the application pool changes every year." (I was secretly hoping that something had been overlooked in my file, but it was not the case.  ;) )

The Government of Alberta has been quietly cutting the number of spots over the last few years for both U of A and U of C to save money, so that makes it even more competitive.

Best of luck on your U of A interview, chroniciconic (and to all others as well!).  :)

The Government of Alberta has been quietly cutting the number of spots over the last few years for both U of A and U of C to save money, so that makes it even more competitive.

Best of luck on your U of A interview, chroniciconic (and to all others as well!).  :)

Not the best approach to addressing the current doctor shortage ... one could argue that this is a big fallback of socialized medicine. We need more doctors, not less. I believe my avatar expresses my feelings towards this issue.

And thanks once again Friendly Magpie ^_^

Not the best approach to addressing the current doctor shortage ... one could argue that this is a big fallback of socialized medicine. We need more doctors, not less. I believe my avatar expresses my feelings towards this issue.

I agree. I was surprised that the media didn't pick up on it. 

Edit - Oooh.. it's my 100th post.  :)

Edit 2 - I found this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/premier-ok-with-possible-cuts-to-u-of-c-medical-program-1.1316170

Hearing a lot of mixed things about the role of needing prompts at UofA and poor MMI scores. Any students able to weigh in on this?

Last year, they made a point of telling us that the use of prompts would not affect our score at all.

I used prompts in many of the rooms and had a decent MMI score last year (it's my GPA keeping me out for now, so am currently working on raising it). Go into the room, say what you have to say, and then ask for a prompt if there is time left. In a lot of cases, I'd already addressed what was in the prompt, but it's a good way to see if you're on the right track or it might trigger another thought that you can then discuss with the interviewer.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your interviews!  :)

I don't normally post here but I have to share this. I got a rejection (no interview) from Alberta last week when all the interview offers went out. However, yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from U of A med school admissions explaining that there was an interview spot available and my name was "next on the list" (I guess there's some sort of interview waitlist?) and they offered me an interview! I don't know exactly how common this is, but I'm super stoked and very excited! I still can't believe it. I hope other people who initially got rejected get called back.

By the way, I'm an OOP applicant, if that makes any difference.

Do you mind to share your data in this thread? http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/81651-u-of-alberta-interview-invitesregrets-2015/#entry920927  Thanks.

I don't normally post here but I have to share this. I got a rejection (no interview) from Alberta last week when all the interview offers went out. However, yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from U of A med school admissions explaining that there was an interview spot available and my name was "next on the list" (I guess there's some sort of interview waitlist?) and they offered me an interview! I don't know exactly how common this is, but I'm super stoked and very excited! I still can't believe it. I hope other people who initially got rejected get called back.

By the way, I'm an OOP applicant, if that makes any difference.

Last year, they made a point of telling us that the use of prompts would not affect our score at all.

I used prompts in many of the rooms and had a decent MMI score last year (it's my GPA keeping me out for now, so am currently working on raising it). Go into the room, say what you have to say, and then ask for a prompt if there is time left. In a lot of cases, I'd already addressed what was in the prompt, but it's a good way to see if you're on the right track or it might trigger another thought that you can then discuss with the interviewer.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your interviews!  :)

Could you elaborate what you mean by a prompt?

Question on door: Do you like cake

Prompt asked by interviewer once oyu are done answering main question: People like chocolate cake more than vanilla. Do you agree with this?

Thanks! I feel like I could have answered most of the sample MMI questions in only a fraction of the 8 minutes allowed, so prompts can extend my discussion more.

The interviewers also give everyone the exact same prompts (if people ask for them) and in the same order every time. 

I'm not sure about this year (since I didn't receive an interview invite), but last year they sent everyone a link to a website that had info on the interview. The website had some links to some sample MMI videos. Did they send out something like that this year?

If anyone has an interview at 7:30am for March 14th, please PM me if you'd like to switch to a 12:30pm interview. I know UofA doesn't do switches but maybe if i show them someone who is willing to switch they might consider it. 

thank you

I can't see any chance of UofA letting you switch your interview time with someone else. 

Question on door: Do you like cake

Prompt asked by interviewer once oyu are done answering main question: People like chocolate cake more than vanilla. Do you agree with this?

Trick question... everyone knows that the only good types of cake are cheesecake and ice cream cake. Everything else is garbage. 

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between UofC and UofA in terms of their MMI style? I have heard that UofC’s MMI is more situational (scenario that does not necessarily require healthcare knowledge, then question about what would you do?) whereas UofA’s MMI requires more knowledge of healthcare, medical trends, etc. Thoughts?

If any current students who interviewed at both schools last year have any insight that would be most appreciated J

Thanks!

Archived