Premed 101 Forums

Chances Of Getting Into Med School In Usa

denis05

Yeah. For example, schools like Ross and SGU have had pretty decent match rates for their Canadian IMGs in the US. But the devil lies in the details..since most of the FM/IM spots that their students match to...are at programs that take primarily IMGs in states/locations that americans wouldn't rank very highly. Or in programs that are known to work their residents to the bone.. or have less in the way of quality of training etc. Sure some match to decent places, but on average the quality of the matches are much lower from a multi-factorial perspective compared to their american MD/DO counterparts.

But of course, if you have zero issue with doing FM/IM in rural america, or the likes - then its sort of a moot point right. As long as you get the training and become licensed, it generally won't matter. But if you want to do things like academia, or go on to do a strong fellowship, etc etc...well then it does start to matter, and matter a lot. Not to mention constantly having to move around to random places etc etc.

Don't find that hard to believe at all- but once in a while see a big name like Yale with IMG grads - could be a new site of course..  Also, I'm never sure in the US whether residency program with students from name brand schools is due to the quality of the student of the name of the school where they got their degree.   

For the Canadian match, it doesnt really matter ; IMG = IMG = IMG.  For BC USDOs are still considered CMGs, and last year a few USDOs matched to UBC as CMGs. To be honest, i'm not actually convinced that USDO having CMG status is actually beneficial or not. I actually think they one would do much better in the IMG stream as a USDO...because there are 40+ spots secured for primary care(FM) at UBC for IMGs.    The reason I say this is, because at UBC, the demand for FM in the CMG stream is HUGE. Many very strong UBC med graduates for example didn't end up matching to UBC for FM  and had to go to Alberta or Ontario for FM.  So when you're a non-UBC student(I.e. a USDO or USMD) trying to go for the BC CMG FM spots - it's actually super competitive. 

I believe there was a USMD poster on these forums that went unmatched last year but matched this year in the CMG category to one of the really competitive UBC FM CMG spots(I'm guessing St. Pauls).  So its obviously not impossible, but the competition is there.

That's one of those paradoxical situations where IMG matching >> CMG matching - except I'm sure the IMGs have a ROS.  But, I did see UBC put a ROS into the 2nd round for internal medicine open to CMGs.  I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of things happens more often in the future - looks it already happening at Western.

Don't find that hard to believe at all- but once in a while see a big name like Yale with IMG grads - could be a new site of course..  Also, I'm never sure in the US whether residency program with students from name brand schools is due to the quality of the student of the name of the school where they got their degree.   

That's one of those paradoxical situations where IMG matching >> CMG matching - except I'm sure the IMGs have a ROS.  But, I did see UBC put a ROS into the 2nd round for internal medicine open to CMGs.  I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of things happens more often in the future - looks it already happening at Western.

Yeah agreed, but a ROS isn't a big deal...if you want to be in Vancouver/BC anyways haha.

Archived