Premed 101 Forums

Practising Fm In Canada With An American Residency

I've seen ads all over Pearson airport regarding how easy it's supposed to be for doctors trained in the States to come to Canada, but looking into the requirements for licensing it seems like you still have to spend one year with a mentor on top of all the paperwork. Does anyone know or have experience about this process? Is it easy to find a mentor etc.?

Thanks.

It depends on the pathway to licensure you take, for FM from a US ACGME residency it is very easy - you just fill out some paperwork. 

http://www.cfpc.ca/recognizedtraining/

For other specialties it is a little different - depending on the length of training etc, and you can take 1 of multiple pathways to licensure. Specifically Pathway 3 and 4. The benefit of pathway 3 is that you don't need to match the number of years of training for specialties that are different lengths in Canada and the US. You just need to be fully board certified in the US and undergo that transition period. I have no understanding of what that entails, but I can imagine maybe having to have a mentor who signs off on things or checks in with you etc.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Pathway-3-%E2%80%93-U-S-or-Canadian-Medical-Degree-or-Doct

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/credentials/start/routes

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the difference between pathway 3 and 4?

As a US trained family physican with american residency, will I be subjugate to the 1 year of "practice with supervision?"

No, IM, PED, OBGYN, PSYCH and Neurology will require 1 year EM will require repatriation program 

FM needs no supervision. You need to pass the board. 

It depends on the pathway to licensure you take, for FM from a US ACGME residency it is very easy - you just fill out some paperwork. 

http://www.cfpc.ca/recognizedtraining/

For other specialties it is a little different - depending on the length of training etc, and you can take 1 of multiple pathways to licensure. Specifically Pathway 3 and 4. The benefit of pathway 3 is that you don't need to match the number of years of training for specialties that are different lengths in Canada and the US. You just need to be fully board certified in the US and undergo that transition period. I have no understanding of what that entails, but I can imagine maybe having to have a mentor who signs off on things or checks in with you etc.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Pathway-3-%E2%80%93-U-S-or-Canadian-Medical-Degree-or-Doct

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/credentials/start/routes

Hi,

For Family Medicine, in terms of projections...do you know how many years it has been in effect and will continue to be in effect  for FM residents from a US ACGME resideny to be able to fill out a paperwork and then cross to practice Family Medicine in Canada?

Hi,

For Family Medicine, in terms of projections...do you know how many years it has been in effect and will continue to be in effect  for FM residents from a US ACGME resideny to be able to fill out a paperwork and then cross to practice Family Medicine in Canada?

It has been in effect for quite a while in some form or another - many GPs trained in commonwealth countries practice in Canada.

Don't see any reason it would change - a ACGME trained FM doc already has more training than a Canadian trained. 

• 6 months later...

I dont' understand where you people are getting your information; there is NO WAY around the supervision requirement.  

I’m a Physician Recruitment Advisor with the HealthForceOntario Agency. As an Advisor, I assist eligible physicians interested in practicing in Ontario by providing information and by answering questions about licensing, certification, immigration and making the transition to practice in Ontario.  Ii understand that you are a Family Physician, practicing Independently in the United States and without Resident status in Canada.

There are several routes to licensure which are open to you and I will provide you information on each of these in order for you to make a more informed decision.  Some routes will require the completion of exams and they are outlined below. 

As you may already know, all physicians in Ontario must be registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO). I thought I would start by providing some information about the different requirements for registration with the College because you will have a choice to make about whether you would like to relocate with an independent or a restricted license. It’s important to identify which registration route you will be taking as this will help determine your timeline for relocation and next steps.

The CPSO requirements for an Independent Practice license include:

·         A medical degree from an approved school

·         Successful completion of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part 1 and Part 2

·         Certification from the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)

·         Canadian citizenship, permanent residency or a valid work permit

• Completion in Canada of one year of postgraduate training or active medical practice (*This requirement is waived upon request if all other requirements have been met)

1.         As a US trained and Board certified physician you may be eligible to apply for a special designation from the CFPC called “Certification without Examination”.  This option enables you to fulfil the third requirement listed above without having to write the Canadian certification exam. Unfortunately, there isn’t a reciprocal for the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying exams, these exams still need to be written.  The CPSO offers a route to restricted registration for physicians who have received a letter of eligibility from the CFPC which enables them to start practice with a restricted license while they complete the Medical Council of Canada exams. At the conclusion of this process, you will receive an Independent license to practice in Ontario from the CPSO.

The Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exams are offered two times per year, in the Spring and Fall. For more information: http://mcc.ca/examinations/

CPSO Restricted Certificate of Registration For Exam Eligible Candidates policy: http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies-publications/policy/restricted-certificate-of-registration-for-exam-el  

CPSO Recognition of CFPC Certification Without Examination Issued by the CFPC: http://cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Recognition-of-Certification-without-Examination-I

2.         Another option available to you would be the Alternate Pathways to CPSO Registration - Pathway 4.  . This CPSO registration policy offers a route torestricted registration for a physician who: has completed an ACGME-accredited residency, all USMLE steps, is board certified by a member board of the ABMS and holds or is eligible for a full (independent) license in any US state. Under this policy the applicant is required to practice under supervision (typically low-level) for their first 12-18 months of practice. Following the period of supervision the physician undergoes a practice assessment (at their expense) from the CPSO. With a successful assessment the physician is eligible for independent practice within their assessed scope (i.e. they receive a scope-defined license).   This route does not require you to write the MCCQE qualifying exams as you already have written the USMLE (Steps,1,2,3,), nor does it require you to become CFPC certified.

Pathway 4: http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Pathway-4-–-IMG-with-US-Postgraduate-Training-and

You have a few options to consider, but regardless of which route you select, you will also be required to obtain Status in Canada i.e. Temporary Work Permit in order to begin a practice.  Your best option may be to search for a community or organization that is willing to support your request for Supervision and a Temporary Work Permit.  I can provide you with further information once you have decided the route to CPSO registration most suited to you.  You indicated that your wife is a Canadian Permanent Resident and this may allow her to sponsor your application and possibly expedite the process.

This is a lot of information and I am happy to assist you with further details on any of the above.  Please review your options and let me know how I can assist you in next steps.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I am a general medicine physician in USA. I am planning to get a restricted license to work as a PCP and settle in Canada. However, I have few questions if someone would be kind enough to answer

1. Would I do billing like a physician who has a full independent/unrestricted license?

2. If I have the authority to do the billing like a physician with unrestricted license, then is the reimbursement from the ministry of health (OHIP) same for a claim I send or less than a physician who have unrestricted license?

3. In net shell, I am asking would I generate the same amount of revenue as a physician with unrestricted license would generate working at my clinic and seeing the same number of patients per day as I do?

Thanks
Navdeep Singh