Premed 101 Forums

Caught Lying On Med School Application

I don't want to be "the conspiracy theory guy" but...

What if OP is actually just adcom member fabricating this elaborate story about "a friend" to discourage applicants from fudging hours???

Or what if OP is illuminati?!?

UmFRaBW.jpg

Why would one need more of a reason than its outright lying and unethical to "fudge" details of your application? Do one really need decoy Adcoms to discourage lying on an application?

shm

Why would one need more of a reason than its outright lying and unethical to "fudge" details of your application? Do you really need decoy Adcoms to discourage lying on an application?

shm

Aaron,

I do not disagree with you one bit. Honesty and integrity are values people should exemplify, even apart from applications. I was completely joking with my previous post about the conspiracy theories. I thought the outrageous nature of a claim about adcom moles and my alternative "theory" about "illuminati" was enough to show that I was purely joking.

Aaron,

I do not disagree with you one bit. Honesty and integrity are values people should exemplify, even apart from applications. I was completely joking with my previous post about the conspiracy theories. I thought the outrageous nature of a claim about adcom moles and my alternative "theory" about "illuminati" was enough to show that I was purely joking.

I know you were :) However, many people do find such things as no big deal so I sort of wanted to take a little more of a serious tact to your whimsical post :)

Yea it must've been a gross exaggeration. If your friend's GPA and MCAT score were otherwise competitive, I wouldn't have risked it. Med schools frequently call up verifiers to check up as well, so your friend must not have thought it was a big deal to do it in the first place.

A small consolation is that besides the EC's, your friend must have been a competitive candidate to secure 5 interviews. Apply again next year and this time, be truthful about the volunteer activity.

• 3 weeks later...

okay sorry not to hijack this post, but It made me a bit worried. I have had a lot of extra curricular involvement with clubs, art shows, the school paper etc. and volunteering in research labs/doing research. I never logged any of my hours and would have no idea where to start to try to estimate them. How screwed am I?

okay sorry not to hijack this post, but It made me a bit worried. I have had a lot of extra curricular involvement with clubs, art shows, the school paper etc. and volunteering in research labs/doing research. I never logged any of my hours and would have no idea where to start to try to estimate them. How screwed am I?

When I had to estimate hours for an activity, I just thought back to how many hours I spent (supervised) in that club per week (or per month), how many months in a year I did it, and how many years I did it. I think as long as you're not saying something along the lines of "I did 500 hours of choir in a week", admissions committees would understand. Maybe in the description you could also mention (I think in the hours / time of year section) "3 hours per week", and they'll see the date range anyway so they'll be able to figure out if the number you've given them makes sense or not

When I had to estimate hours for an activity, I just thought back to how many hours I spent (supervised) in that club per week (or per month), how many months in a year I did it, and how many years I did it. I think as long as you're not saying something along the lines of "I did 500 hours of choir in a week", admissions committees would understand. Maybe in the description you could also mention (I think in the hours / time of year section) "3 hours per week", and they'll see the date range anyway so they'll be able to figure out if the number you've given them makes sense or not

Okay Thanks so much, so do they actually check up on all of your listed extra curricular involvement, or just the longest time spent or most recent ones, or do they only check up on them if the numbers look questionable.

Okay Thanks so much, so do they actually check up on all of your listed extra curricular involvement, or just the longest time spent or most recent ones, or do they only check up on them if the numbers look questionable.

For every single one of my activities I confirmed with and emailed my verifiers (and told them to save it) the exact description and hours so they would have exactly what was on my application. This would prevent any errors/ambiguities.

As Gohan said, it depends on schools, but typically people don't have to worry about it if they're honest. I know some have called referees (don't know about verifiers) and asked them about applicants. However, it could be random, depends on the school, and/or if there's something that just stands out as unfeasible.

For every single one of my activities I confirmed with and emailed my verifiers (and told them to save it) the exact description and hours so they would have exactly what was on my application. This would prevent any errors/ambiguities.

This is a good practice, I did the same. 

I mean, you should ask for permission to use someone as a verifier in the first place - but its even better to give them exactly what you're giving the medical school admissions too. 

How awesome would it be, if there was a Vegeta...chi chi...piccolo...the whole shebang.

I encourage you all to join in. You get 3 name changes a month i think haha, so it would be easy to switch back after ;)

Going to change my name to Frieza and flame all your posts.

Archived