Premed 101 Forums

Caught Lying On Med School Application

Hi guys

I have a friend of mine who has interviews at 5 med schools. After interviewing for one of them he was contacted by the admissions committee regarding a discrepancy between the number of hours he put down and the number verified by the organization. The med school told him his name has been withdrawn from consideration for an offer. Just wondering whether this kind of information is circulated among all the med schools? he is upset and regretful about having exaggerated his number of hours, but he has 4 other interview offers on the table and hasnt been contacted by any of those schools. 

Will he be blacklisted ?

Thanks

If it's an Ontario school, all other Ontario schools would be notified of the discrepancy automatically and they'd respond accordingly.

I don't know if other schools would communicate that information, or if they even can. However, if they were to find out about intentional misrepresentation in an application, your friend could be dismissed even after gaining admission. Schools don't take that sort of thing lightly.

Some exaggeration of hours worked isn't exactly uncommon though and can often be done unintentionally. A complete dismissal from consideration usually doesn't happen for such a small infraction. I think it'd be a fairly large discrepancy to result in withdrawal of consideration.

At this point, it may be worthwhile to go into damage control mode. If the information that got your friend rejected from one school was submitted to others, letting them know that there was a discrepancy and providing updated figures now could prevent trouble down the road. Schools aren't too concerned about students making the odd mistake, but they do care about covering up those mistakes. Now's the chance to come clean.

Hi guys

I have a friend of mine who has interviews at 5 med schools. After interviewing for one of them he was contacted by the admissions committee regarding a discrepancy between the number of hours he put down and the number verified by the organization. The med school told him his name has been withdrawn from consideration for an offer. Just wondering whether this kind of information is circulated among all the med schools? he is upset and regretful about having exaggerated his number of hours, but he has 4 other interview offers on the table and hasnt been contacted by any of those schools. 

Will he be blacklisted ?

Thanks

Your friend took a big gamble, and to be frank he kind of deserves it since it's unfair for the rest of us. Like Ralk said, all the other schools in Ontario may be notified since they use the OMSAS system, best thing to do is go in damage control. 

Unfortunately this sucks but why would he/she lie? I mean all that hard work for getting caught? The thing that would suck if it affected future applications. Also, I believe this happens a lot more than we think, because I highly doubt some people not all have done the things they state on this forum. Ex. 10+ publications as undergrad (makes much more sense if it was a PhD applicant) and crime fighter by night while volunteering. Exaggerating here but you get my point.

I wonder what happens if somebody actually lied on his application + has actually agreed with his verifier to confirm his lie when the school contacts the verifier.

How would the schools find out then ?

They likely wouldn't, which is the tough part. I know of peers who clearly have lied about some parts of their UBC apps, and it makes me cringe that some of them might get in (or have gotten in). But some parts of the world arent fair - and you hope that karma will get them back for their indiscretions. 

They likely wouldn't, which is the tough part. I know of peers who clearly have lied about some parts of their UBC apps, and it makes me cringe that some of them might get in (or have gotten in). But some parts of the world arent fair - and you hope that karma will get them back for their indiscretions. 

If something looks fishy they could bring it up in the interview perhaps ?

But you can still lie & take care that it doesn't look fishy !

This does happen unfortunately. The admissions team can't do anything if the verifier confirms it

Like others have said, it must be a pretty big discrepancy for the school to withdraw him. I think I remember reading somewhere that at least at UBC, if there's a discrepancy or if the verifier don't respond to their emails/phone calls, they'll just ignore that EC entry and pretend like you didn't do it. But to completely punish him for it, he must have lied a lot. In which case... I don't have much pity for the guy.

Are your verifiers given an opportunity to check their computers to see how many hours you've logged? A lot of my volunteering coordinators record my hours on excel spreadsheets (and I'm diligent in double checking for OMSAS). I'd imagine it's a little hard for them to give an accurate number if they're suddenly getting a phone call from a med school when going about their day.

I don't want to be "the conspiracy theory guy" but...

What if OP is actually just adcom member fabricating this elaborate story about "a friend" to discourage applicants from fudging hours???

Or what if OP is illuminati?!?

UmFRaBW.jpg

Well APPARENTLY the adcom is discouraging students by APPARENTLY creating fake pm101 accounts, APPARENTLY.

Like others have said, it must be a pretty big discrepancy for the school to withdraw him. I think I remember reading somewhere that at least at UBC, if there's a discrepancy or if the verifier don't respond to their emails/phone calls, they'll just ignore that EC entry and pretend like you didn't do it. But to completely punish him for it, he must have lied a lot. In which case... I don't have much pity for the guy.

he exaggerated a few of his activities by about 50 hours or so, and also exaggerated the length of his activity period.

Archived