Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Year And Afraid To Close Off Any Doors

Hi everyone. As the title describes, I am finishing up my 2nd year. As of now, my grades are not competitive for Canadian dental schools (3.5), so my next resort is to apply to the US. I am, however, afraid to close off any doors to Canadian schools if I begin to take an approach geared towards US schools, such as shadowing and not showing such emphasis on getting a near-perfect GPA. This also ties into me taking a non-full course load to help improve my GPA and focus on ECs, but facing a penalty for that sliver of a chance I might have at UWO. I understand this can completely depend on my work ethic for the next 1+ year(s). Based on the odds, I am hoping to hear if you guys have an opinion or have been in my shoes. Thanks.

Hi everyone. As the title describes, I am finishing up my 2nd year. As of now, my grades are not competitive for Canadian dental schools (3.5), so my next resort is to apply to the US. I am, however, afraid to close off any doors to Canadian schools if I begin to take an approach geared towards US schools, such as shadowing and not showing such emphasis on getting a near-perfect GPA. This also ties into me taking a non-full course load to help improve my GPA and focus on ECs, but facing a penalty for that sliver of a chance I might have at UWO. I understand this can completely depend on my work ethic for the next 1+ year(s). Based on the odds, I am hoping to hear if you guys have an opinion or have been in my shoes. Thanks.

I'm not sure how looking towards applying to US schools will close off doors to Canadian ones? It won't. You shouldn't just start slacking, even a 3.5 for the US isn't that great, and it can always be higher.  You should keep striving towards a 4.0, and doing ECs that keep you well rounded.

You should still take a full course load, 5 courses isn't significantly different than 4 (unless you plan on only doing 3?) a term. US schools won't look too favourably on that either if you're just taking part-time classes - and not working or doing something otherwise outside of academics that is taking up your time.

I agree that any dentist should be well-rounded but I was under the impression that most Canadian applicants just put all of their time and energy into getting a high GPA, while disregarding shadowing, volunteering etc. since it's not a requirement. I don't hear about ECs on these forums very often.

And I guess I've seen a trend among my peers to drop down to 4 courses/semester so I thought it made a big difference. Of course if it does, I could use all the help I can get, but if it doesn't, like you say, I wouldn't mind taking 5. This is why I'm asking for opinions.

I agree that any dentist should be well-rounded but I was under the impression that most Canadian applicants just put all of their time and energy into getting a high GPA, while disregarding shadowing, volunteering etc. since it's not a requirement. I don't hear about ECs on these forums very often.

And I guess I've seen a trend among my peers to drop down to 4 courses/semester so I thought it made a big difference. Of course if it does, I could use all the help I can get, but if it doesn't, like you say, I wouldn't mind taking 5. This is why I'm asking for opinions.

Fair enough, I wrongly assumed dental students would want to be well rounded too.... I'm more so aware of the medical process. 

Regardless, doing 4 classes vs 5 classes, while yes you will have slightly more time - if all you're doing is just focusing on GPA in those 4-5 classes, and no time for anything else...well you're doing something wrong.  I would address study habits and try out some various resources, because while 5 classes is a lot - it should no way be the sole thing you're doing with your 4 years of life. Working, doing fun things like sports intramurals etc, volunteering and getting involved should have a place. Otherwise you're missing out!

Why not incorporate the shadowing/EC during summer months? You can focus on achieving as high a grade as possible during regular school year. Also, I would agree with taking 5 credits at least initially. If you can't handle the course load, you could pass/fail it if your school has that policy, or drop it before it shows up on the transcript. These are suggestions, but at the end of the day, you would know your capabilities best. 

Lastly, some dental schools in Canada also look at ECs :)

Why not incorporate the shadowing/EC during summer months?

I think this would be similar to med schools (please correct me if I'm wrong), where a long term commitment looks better than something I did in a month or two. Regardless, I've already been looking for some summer positions! Tie this in with studying for the DAT and I have myself a planned summer haha.

As for my study habits, I think at some point during this year I realized I wasn't achieving those 90's so I wondered whether it was even possible to correct my current GPA to something acceptable. I guess no one is without hardships and the more I review my options, the more hopeful I become :)

OP - try your absolute hardest and aim for those 4.0s.  I was in a similar situation as you when I was in undergrad, but I got very side tracked and lost sight of my goal for dentistry.  For numerous reasons, I just wasn't getting the necessary marks.  Towards the end of undergrad, I realized I still wanted to do dentistry and was able to achieve a 3.9 for my final year.  Unfortunately, that did not offset the pre-existing 3.3 cumulative GPA.  After undergrad,  I started a new degree at a different university, in an attempt to get into a Canadian dental school.  Fortunately/unfortunately,the reciprocity agreement between Canada and Australia had just been approved.  I applied to a couple of schools, got in and the rest is history. It hasn't been an easy journey, but you still have time to make up for it.

OP - try your absolute hardest and aim for those 4.0s.  I was in a similar situation as you when I was in undergrad, but I got very side tracked and lost sight of my goal for dentistry.  For numerous reasons, I just wasn't getting the necessary marks.  Towards the end of undergrad, I realized I still wanted to do dentistry and was able to achieve a 3.9 for my final year.  Unfortunately, that did not offset the pre-existing 3.3 cumulative GPA.  After undergrad,  I started a new degree at a different university, in an attempt to get into a Canadian dental school.  Fortunately/unfortunately,the reciprocity agreement between Canada and Australia had just been approved.  I applied to a couple of schools, got in and the rest is history. It hasn't been an easy journey, but you still have time to make up for it.I a

I am thinking about applying to Aussie schools this summer, in case I don't get into the canadian schools. What sort of GPA and DAT scores would be competitive for either sydney or melbourne dental schools? Would appreciate if you can explain a bit on the application process for aussies dental schools.

Why not incorporate the shadowing/EC during summer months? You can focus on achieving as high a grade as possible during regular school year. Also, I would agree with taking 5 credits at least initially. If you can't handle the course load, you could pass/fail it if your school has that policy, or drop it before it shows up on the transcript. These are suggestions, but at the end of the day, you would know your capabilities best. 

Lastly, some dental schools in Canada also look at ECs :)

I agree with this approach as well. Given that US schools will obviously see less than a full course load in the overall assessment, definitely best to keep all 5 regardless of where you are applying. As for gpa goals - whether US or Canada, the higher the better so your goal should be 4.0 to strive for the best you can possibly do. While US schools do look at EC's, they do put a lot of weight in the gpa so doing anything less than your optimal in that area is not strategic. As for EC's and shadowing - if you can afford it, blasting through as much as possible in the summer should cover your bases in case the US option ends up being the lead. I would also consider working on a personal statement early (they also put a lot of weight in that) to ensure that you have a great one ready since the rolling admission process and initial application date is really early - a friend in a similar position who wanted to cover her bases applied to the US at the same time as Canada given waiting for canadian rejections would mean a 1 year delay in getting into the us.  just a thought

Some schools have the requirement (like U of A) that you must maintain a full course load during your most recent year of study to apply, so if you choose to not do so, then that alone will be closing doors for you. With a 3.5 over two years, that would be what schools like UT would be looking at and unfortunately wouldn't even make it to interviews, since they don't consider your most recent year's grades (except that you maintain it above 3.0, so... they don't care.), so even if you had a 4.0 in third year, it doesn't matter. (for the record, U of A counts the most recent year's grades, but even with that, (3.5+3.5+4.0)/3=3.67 which is not enough either) 

In my opinion, you will have a better chance to get in if you apply after you have completed your undergrad degree. That way, you can drop your lowest year. 

Some schools have the requirement (like U of A) that you must maintain a full course load during your most recent year of study to apply, so if you choose to not do so, then that alone will be closing doors for you.

I don't think UofA has that requirement, I know several people who got interviews while not taking a full course load... Did u mean UofT?

quoting the website "The minimum requirement for admission to the DDS Program is the satisfactory completion of *60 of transferable postsecondary work (10 full year course equivalents or 20 half year course equivalents), of which *30 (5 full year course equivalents or 10 half year course equivalents) must be taken during one Fall/Winter (a Fall/Winter academic year is September to April inclusive)." 

I guess this means that at least one year (2 semesters) needs to be a full course load. Since I read about this when I was in my second year, so that basically meant that I had to take full course loads to complete 60 credits within the 2 year period. (I didn't end up applying during my second year since it's not my first choice of dental school, and I had spent the summer studying for the PCAT and would not have had time to study and take the DAT in time for second year applications)  

Archived