Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Support Thread

Lool Amichel, and so I unfortunetley hear.

You know its funny, these past three months I've learned so much about the medical field, and have become so much more interested in medicine than i ever have in 4 years of university that i started watching Greys Anatomy at the worst time, when I have two HUGE reports due in a few days....

Sometimes I actually remember things on tests because I saw them on Grey's or ER.  Not that I'd ever say that out loud.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Grey's Anatomy is the worst to learn from. Don't get me wrong, I still like the show for its drama lol...they sometimes get it right but most of the time they don't. Just a few episodes ago they defibrillated an asystole rhythm. And they read a Vfib as a Vtach on the monitor. I also get a good laugh when a doctor inserts a Foley catheter - sorry, but never have I seen a doctor offer to insert a catheter lol. I guess you can learn from Grey's by catching their errors? haha

As for the ER show, I remember watching an episode where they treated a DKA patient with a bolus of glucose lololol.

LOL! Grey's Anatomy is the worst to learn from. Don't get me wrong, I still like the show for its drama lol...they sometimes get it right but most of the time they don't. Just a few episodes ago they defibrillated an asystole rhythm. And they read a Vfib as a Vtach on the monitor. I also get a good laugh when a doctor inserts a Foley catheter - sorry, but never have I seen a doctor offer to insert a catheter lol. I guess you can learn from Grey's by catching their errors? haha

As for the ER show, I remember watching an episode where they treated a DKA patient with a bolus of glucose lololol.

I don't actually learn from it... It's more that I remember random rare diseases better because I remember the episode that had them....

Also, ER is usuallypretty accurate medically (greys not so much, haha!) That must have been a fluke. I mean it's not perfect but it's not usually blatantly wrong.

I don't actually learn from it... It's more that I remember random rare diseases better because I remember the episode that had them....

Also, ER is usuallypretty accurate medically (greys not so much, haha!) That must have been a fluke. I mean it's not perfect but it's not usually blatantly wrong.

Its just like any other show, it needs a dramatic story line. but i wonder if any of these crazy patients have been based off real life...What was the craziest thing you've seen as a med student?...

The worst I've seen as a nurse is necrotizing fasciitis to a guys penis, scrotum, buttocks, abdomen and lower back. I can't say any more than that, but if you know what that is and the debridement required to treat that you will probably cringe (sorry boys for the graphic example). I've also been part of a lot of code blues, and even though it's not as graphic, I think being part of a 1-2 hour full resuscitation is one of the craziest experiences you'll ever have.

so to break it down:

536 Interviewed 

200 Offered

~100 waitlisted (by my guesstimation) 

~236 Rejected (by my guesstimation)

Generally you tend to see the opposite trend with waitlist and rejected. Very few get outright rejected and schools tend to hold onto more waitlisters. Likely more like ~175-200 waitlisted and ~150 rejected. Schools don't want to run into the risk of having to offer an acceptance to a rejected candidate because they've run through the entire waitlist; which has happened to a couple Canadian schools over the years. That being said, Calgary is known to have big waitlist movement because many people will accept Ontario schools or Alberta, so you still have a good shot :) Good luck everyone!

Generally you tend to see the opposite trend with waitlist and rejected. Very few get outright rejected and schools tend to hold onto more waitlisters. Likely more like ~175-200 waitlisted and ~150 rejected. Schools don't want to run into the risk of having to offer an acceptance to a rejected candidate because they've run through the entire waitlist; which has happened to a couple Canadian schools over the years. That being said, Calgary is known to have big waitlist movement because many people will accept Ontario schools or Alberta, so you still have a good shot :) Good luck everyone!

The slightly tricky part about this is that those numbers take into account ~45 extra offers, as Calgary only has ~155 seats.

You are both being too impatient.

UofA only released 3 days ago, and I'd bet there is always a flurry of activity within the first few days as people make their decisions.

I am sure there will be an update tomorrow or this afternoon at the earliest.

I've emailed the department to update us on how many spots are left... No response for a few days now.

Anyone else experiencing the stone wall?

In the admissions team's defense, I'm not sure how this information would impact you as the waitlist will not begin to move until May 29th anyway. As HeHeBunny mentioned above, they are probably seeing a lot of shifts right now as UofA only just released their decisions and people will also be waiting on their decisions in other provinces. I think a pretty good idea of waitlist movement has been given from previous year's statistics, so I would try to be patient (easier said than done, I know!).

FWIW, this week has been very busy in terms of end of the year for the class of 2015. They had their graduation yesterday and for certain the admission team is busy coordination the acceptances of the initial offer group at the same time. Be patient.

I will be declining my U of C offer, in favour of UBC. Hang in there guys. The UBC results came out yesterday and Ontario schools release this Tuesday. Things are going to start moving quickly after that, it won't be long now.

I'd be very interested in finding out the reason behind not telling us our position on the waitlist too. One reason I can think is that it would reveal the number of people on the wait list which they like to hide for reasons unknown to me.

And I am taking the school's word regarding no movement before 29th May.

I hope I'm not being too pessimistic but I think that this year will be one of the worst for those waitlisted. with approximately 30 seats left and lots of offers still sitting out there, I think success rate will be 20% or less. But best of luck to all. 

I hope I'm not being too pessimistic but I think that this year will be one of the worst for those waitlisted. with approximately 30 seats left and lots of offers still sitting out there, I think success rate will be 20% or less. But best of luck to all. 

Im thinking so as well....kinda sucks, people need to decline and let us through!!!

Archived