Premed 101 Forums

I'm super excited for U of T this fall! Are there any current students or anyone who could comment on the student life and atmosphere in the program? When I went to the Western open house in the fall, I got a really good feeling about the atmosphere there, as it seemed very close-knit and everyone seemed to get along. Just wondering how U of T compares!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all!

Does anyone have an idea of what the GPA cut-off/average was like this year? Thanks in advance!

This is from the FAQ section on their website: 

We do not have a specific “cut-off” GPA, as there are other components of the application that may warrant further consideration (e.g. strong experience). However, it is extremely difficult to get an offer of admission with a GPA of less than an “A-minus”, or a GPA of 3.50 to 3.70 (or 80%). All applications will be reviewed provided that the applicant has met the minimum GPA requirement of a “mid-B”, or 3.0 on a 4-point ORPAS GPA scale.

So they don't release information like that since they take other things into account. From reading the forum, I noticed a couple of people who had GPAs higher than mine (I had 3.8) and didn't get in, so it goes to show how your experiences really matter too.

After originally posting on here to ask about the student life in the program, I wanted to say that so far I have a really good feeling! This is just from getting my letter in the mail and seeing what's planned for O-week (boat cruise, pub night, jays game, etc.) and from seeing the video they made to promote it. I know O-week isn't everything but they are clearly putting in a lot of effort to make it a great experience for us and I can't wait :) Everyone make sure to join the Facebook group too!

Hey cashmere, I totally must have seen you today! Can't wait to meet you in the fall :)

I completely agree, the open house was great, I am so excited and feel so fortunate for the opportunity to study in such an excellent program and environment. Everyone there is super supportive and positive!

Hey all!

Does anyone have an idea of what the GPA cut-off/average was like this year? Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I know I had already replied to your question but I wanted to tell you that the graduate co-ordinator at the welcome event today told us that they used a cut-off of 3.7 this year. She also said that there were a lot more applications this year. Hope that helps!

Were there lots of people or did they mention a full program? I am on the wait list and the extra wait is torture! 

I believe there were around 30-40 prospective OT students for the welcome event. They mentioned that last year's class size was 105, however, they are trying to keep around 90 students this year as that is their ideal class size. I was slightly late for the event so I may have missed some information regarding the wait list or offers that have been sent. 

Hey,

I know I had already replied to your question but I wanted to tell you that the graduate co-ordinator at the welcome event today told us that they used a cut-off of 3.7 this year. She also said that there were a lot more applications this year. Hope that helps!

Wow that's pretty high! Considering they stated online that they don't do specific cut-offs. Thanks for your reply! 

Wow that's pretty high! Considering they stated online that they don't do specific cut-offs. Thanks for your reply! 

If OT is what you really want to do it will show in your personal statement and trends essay. I think it can make-up for less than stellar grades to a certain extent. Don't let seeing other people's GPA on this post scare you!

I have a sGPA 3.39 and cGPA 3.04 and I was wait listed at UofT - I have a experience volunteering in a rehab hospital and research in rehabilitation. I know I was not accepted but many people with GPAs higher than mine were rejected. This tells me that grades will only get you so far and if you can show your passion for this then you have a shot!

If OT is what you really want to do it will show in your personal statement and trends essay. I think it can make-up for less than stellar grades to a certain extent. Don't let seeing other people's GPA on this post scare you!

I have a sGPA 3.39 and cGPA 3.04 and I was wait listed at UofT - I have a experience volunteering in a rehab hospital and research in rehabilitation. I know I was not accepted but many people with GPAs higher than mine were rejected. This tells me that grades will only get you so far and if you can show your passion for this then you have a shot!

Thank you for your uplifting insight! That's a relief to know for when I apply next year. I hope you hear some good news soon!! :)

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I got accepted this year with a 3.7 sub gpa and around a 3.64 cum gpa. I guess i was at the lowest gpa mark but  I put a lot of time and effort into my essays and in the Resume you attach I showed my volunteer and work experiences. I guess it shows that GPA isn't everything (THANK GOODNESS) :)

Im excited to attend U of T in the fall :)

For those who have firm accepted: Have you received any confirmation or any more information from U of T? I just firm accepted on Saturday and am wondering if I should be expecting something soon. I mailed my deposit today.

I firm accepted on the 16th and mailed in my deposit last Thursday and I haven't heard anything from them, so I wouldn't worry :)  They are probably waiting until everyone accepts before sending anything else.

I don't think they let us know, although I really wish they did! I agree, mailing cheques makes me nervous and I want to make sure they got it. I'm guessing they also won't actually deposit any until they get all of them. I also would like to get started on all the stuff we have to do (the immunizations, CPR, etc.) sooner rather than later, but we have to wait for them to email us about that, which I think won't be until July? Oh well!

I've provisionally accepted at U of T, (I'm on the Western waitlist still) and am also stressing over when to send in my check. I'll probably express post it next week. I wish they allowed us to send an e-transfer so I could stay on the waitlist a bit longer. 

Archived