Premed 101 Forums

How Much Weight Does A Masters Before Medical School Hold

I have been accepted into a masters program in experimental surgery that I am considering doing in my year between undergrad and medical school. The research is in orthopaedic surgery which is an area I have worked in before, and is somethign I think I would like to pursue. Now obviously many people change their minds in medical school about what they want to specialize in, however, assuming that I did in fact want orthopaeidics, how much would this masters benefit me in obtaining a residency spot? 

Thanks 

I have been accepted into a masters program in experimental surgery that I am considering doing in my year between undergrad and medical school. The research is in orthopaedic surgery which is an area I have worked in before, and is somethign I think I would like to pursue. Now obviously many people change their minds in medical school about what they want to specialize in, however, assuming that I did in fact want orthopaeidics, how much would this masters benefit me in obtaining a residency spot? 

Thanks 

I've heard that since ortho is getting ridiculously competitive now, a master's just more of a requirement than just a recommendation! 

I've heard that since ortho is getting ridiculously competitive now, a master's just more of a requirement than just a recommendation! 

Is ortho ridiculously competitive these days?  I thought the situation was more like there are open spots in the second round of CaRMS, and every single graduating resident has to do one, two or more fellowships while waiting to get some sort of job.

To OP - it can't hurt, but probably won't overcome any deficiencies you might have in the usual things that ortho programs look for: hard working, likeability, knowledge, how much you can bench press, etc...

I don't believe ortho residency is crazy competative right now. The interest has really waned due to the complete lack of jobs in my understanding. Last time I talked to an ortho guy he told me they were still looking at at least one fellowship to work in crappy locations, two fellowships to work in a decent spot.

Hell in the back of the last CMAJ there was an ad for a clinical fellow (not a fellowship) spot for ortho in Toronto, and even they were demanding the applicant had his royal college in Ortho.

I imagine talk of a required masters is for Academic JOBS, not residency spots.

I wouldn't waste time doing a masters prior to med school. Your interests will likely change and if you want a masters (like you want to be a staff at an academic center and are asked to do one), you can do it during your masters or fellowship as get paid for it.

It will help, without question.  However, orthopedics is not particularly competitive in Canada - most people who are serious about it match.

If you have a year between undergrad and med school, great, sounds like a cool idea.  If you are putting off medical school for a year to do a Masters, that makes less sense to me.   

Don't let the job prospects put you off if you love the field (ortho) and aren't tied to working in Canada.  There are lots of jobs in the US where, once you move there, you will all of a sudden find yourself in one of the highest paid specialities in the US. 

Archived