Premed 101 Forums

Maverick

Don't be afraid to cancel if you aren't ready or don't feel comfortable writing. A few things to consider are:

(1) You have the option to void your test after you write it if things go south.

(2) It's hard to take practice tests because of work, but perhaps this weekend you can sit down for a full 7.5 hour practice test under exam conditions and see where you stand.

(3) At this point, there is probably less flexibility when it comes to choosing a different test date.

Finally, if you decide to postpone your test, here is an example of someone who scored a 526 by essentially studying for 2 hours/day during the school year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-prepped-for-a-526.1146107/

Everyone is different and it's hard for someone else to tell you what you can or can't handle, but if it helps I can tell you what I did last year. I studied all summer long while working ~50 hours a week doing field work as a USRA, and felt prepared to write. I tried, apparently too late, to book a date that summer but nothing was available until late October, so I just went with that date. I was taking three 4th year courses, spending more than two courses worth of time on my thesis project, working 5 hours a week as a tutor and 10 hours a week as a school mentor. Studying for the MCAT during the semester definitely sucked... a lot, but I managed to make time and was happy enough with how I did (33 - 10V/11B/12P).

I managed to make writing during the school year work, but most people wouldn't want to put themselves in that position. I can't tell you whether you're ready or not (but you should definitely be doing a lot of practice tests before feeling "ready") but if you don't write this summer then you might want to consider studying again and writing next summer if you think your score (or GPA!) might suffer.

Hey, my advice would be to just take it and see what score you get. You've studied a lot in the past year and each MCAT test tests pretty specific topics while it leaves out others, so you might get topics you're strong in naturally and end up doing well. If you're not planning to apply this year, why not take it (void it if needed, i.e. you miss answering questions), and see what score you get if finances are not an issue? I'm not sure what schools you are planning to apply to but most schools in Canada look at the most recent administration OR your best score. That way it takes off the pressure and you'll also get to go through the process etc. and see what it's like. 

Edit: Not sure if you've taken psyc/sociology either, but those will help a lot with MCAT studying. If you haven't, then I might reconsider cancelling the test since there hasn't been good practice material for these topics yet.

Also it seems like you're in integrated science at UBC - science courses tend to prep you well enough for the MCAT depending on which courses you took. CAPS 301 is intense and there is a lot of material...way more detail than you will ever need for the MCAT. Organ systems also has not been a big emphasis on the MCAT this year, but biochemistry has been. I would recommend taking BIOL 201 if you haven't as well as BIOC 302 - this would probably prepare you the most for the MCAT. 

Edit: Not sure if you've taken psyc/sociology either, but those will help a lot with MCAT studying. If you haven't, then I might reconsider cancelling the test since there hasn't been good practice material for these topics yet.

I disagree - I took the MCAT in June and finished the Psych/Soc section with 30 minutes to spare. I used the Examkracker books, Princeton Psych/Soc, and the Khan academy.

I disagree - I took the MCAT in June and finished the Psych/Soc section with 30 minutes to spare. I used the Examkracker books, Princeton Psych/Soc, and the Khan academy.

I agree with you in that it's manageable without taking psych/socio courses, but in this case if OP has only gone through half the study material, learning psych/socio for the first time would be quite time consuming compared to if they were just reviewing it. 

Since you know what material you're weak in I would just focus on reviewing content for that, and start doing practice questions/CARS passages for the rest of the material. I understand that you want to be prepared before writing it but don't let that feeling of being unprepared deter you from writing it. There will always be exams and situations in the future where you will feel like you haven't prepared enough, or there's just so much material it's hard to ever feel prepared -this is something my friends in medical school and in residency have struggled with and their advice to me haha. In my opinion your background at UBC has set you up well for the MCAT and critical thinking type questions (you can't really study for those since you must use the information derived from the passage, unless you've done research in that area).

Not sure what other classes you are taking in third year but it can be a tough year as it's a good idea to focus on building ECs as well (like you've mentioned). A lot of schools in Canada emphasize GPA and ECs over MCAT (i.e. UBC pre-interview score is 50% NAQ 50% AQ and you just have to reach MCAT cutoffs), so depending on which schools you're applying to, or considering, that might be a factor as well in terms of when you want to write it. 

Hi guys, 

Thank you for all your responses! I have taken both psych 101/102 and scored mid 90's for both at UBC, it safe to say I have a decent grasp of that material. Its physics and CARS that have me worried the most since I haven't taken physics since first semester of first year (and haven't looked at electrostatics since high school). I am most behind in that book as well besides having not cracked open the CARS book. I also loved and excelled in biochem 201 at UBC so I do have some background knowledge.

I guess my main concerns come down to this: 

> My brain is just tired, in my second year I averaged out at about 94% for the year, that was mentally tiring (but worth it) and I also came out of a horrible break up. I have been studying non-stop and have structured my third year to be fairly possible to boost my gpa even further (plenty of time to study for CAPS 301 which is apparently hard)...I am really just worried that given my apparent lack of focus if i keep this up i may burn out midway through third year. I'm not saying it will happen, I just want to come in fresh and between my USRA boss working me to the bone (worth it) I'm feeling spread too thin at the moment.

> Undoubtedly it would be worth writing even if I do poorly, I can void or do better next time but at the same time I don't want to get caught taking 3 attempts. I'd like to go into my first one STRONG and then see what my weaknesses are even when I AM PREPARED turn out to be. I can't evaluate my speed effectively when I don't know half the content/I can't evaluate my competency in verbal when I am flustered after just getting my ass whooped in the previous section you know?

AM I JUST BEING A PUSSY? Srsly.

The other posters have given you a lot of helpful advice with regards to the MCAT, but of course you know this is a decision you have to come to terms with. You have up until a month before your test date to receive a half-refund (depending on finances, that might be something to consider very seriously).

Do you really want to work hard for the next month and take the test? Will you really burn out? Is it really worth it to apply to med school this year? When is the next time you can even fully prepare and write the MCAT? I don't know the answers to these questions (only you do), but being in a good state of mind is important. With so much planned to go on in the future, maybe this is as good a period in your life to write the MCAT as there ever will be. Maybe not. Regardless, you're not a "pussy" for wanting to just relax and enjoy the moment. My suggestion would be to just get your refund, take a break, and reevaluate things. You don't need a full outline of every single date for the next five years, but have a general plan that you're fine with continuing with and make sure you schedule ample down time in it. 

Once again, this might not be the best option--that's something you have to decide. Just slow down and make sure you're content pursuing whatever you do. There's no rush to do everything right away. 

Archived