Premed 101 Forums

Home Call To In-Hospital Conversion

Hope PGY1s are surviving well.

Can someone guide me through as to how home-call to in-hospital call conversion work? 

According to PARO: "A resident on home call works more than four hours in hospital during the call period, of which more than one hour is past midnight and before 6 a.m., is entitled to be paid the in-hospital call stipend. For example, you are called in to perform clinical duties in the hospital at 23:00 and stay until 04:00, you are entitled to claim the in-hospital call stipend. If you are called into the hospital to perform clinical duties at 23:00 and stay only until 01:30, you are not eligible for a conversion and are entitled to the home call stipend."

In 2nd scenario, the person worked 1.5 hours past midnight (which is more than an hour past midnight and before 6am)...why wouldn't this be eligible for in-hospital call stipend?

Oh wow...I completely missed that part. Thanks.

Yeah there are a lot of being careful with the rules etc with PARO. The place where it would really be annoying is exactly that scenario - you should up at 23:00, leave at 1:30 and have to report to work the following day at say 7:30. You won't get a post call day, and you have to work though that day until it ends and go from there. 

I am not sure about most places but home call itself is a bit rare I find - it is annoying for managing things if the service is in anyway busy and you have people converting home call to in house call depending on things. You cannot be sure what personal you would have the next day. 

Archived