Premed 101 Forums

No Casper For 2016, Eh?

I see that NOSM isn't using the CASPer even as another beta test this year in their application. However, it appears U of Ottawa is using it this year as part of their pre-interview score. Anyone have any guesses as to what's going on here? Anyone think NOSM's going to bring back the CASPer after they analyze the data they obtained from last year's application cycle?

Pure speculation here, and even for things which I can find on the internet I'm too lazy to search right now :P

I think everything boils down to the school's mission statement. Mac wants people who will thrive in their PBL curriculum, and I think CASPer has some sort of correlation to success in the curriculum. Thus it makes sense that use CASPer results year after year.

For NOSM, they probably want people who will practice in Northern Ontario. If I were to guess maybe CASPer increased the competitiveness of non-Northern Ontario candidates?

Or that CASPer was downright dreadful and likely made applications woefully difficult for people without high speed access to the net. This may have been especially difficult for applicants from remote Northern communities - which are among the candidates NOSM likes to see apply. (I had major difficulty).  I think NOSM made a great choice doing away with it.

Besides, imo, CASPer just tests how quickly you type, and how many buzzwords you can fit in within 60 seconds of typing before the time runs o-

Or that CASPer was downright dreadful and likely made applications woefully difficult for people without high speed access to the net. This may have been especially difficult for applicants from remote Northern communities - which are among the candidates NOSM likes to see apply. (I had major difficulty).  I think NOSM made a great choice doing away with it.

Besides, imo, CASPer just tests how quickly you type, and how many buzzwords you can fit in within 60 seconds of typing before the time runs o-

Good point! Never even thought of that haha

Interesting.  I actually enjoyed CASPer, but then again we have no way of knowing how well you actually performed.  I do feel very confident this year with my increased GPA.

MDwannabe02, I wish you the best this year finishing you Masters and good lust next application cycle.

• 2 months later...

Incase I have to apply again next cycle, I sincerely hope they do not bring CASPer on for 2017. Not that I have any experience with it, but it sounds a bit random and I just would love to not have another hoop to jump through (but then again, wouldn't we all). Plus, I think it was mentioned before but a big part of is relevance and if it's not relevant to a particular school's learning approach then it makes sense to leave it out.

Archived