Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Scores For Northern Medical Program

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about whether MCAT scores are still not used for final selection for the Northern Medical Program? I remember reading an article a few years ago about this. 

Just curious if those who are accepted to this campus generally have lower scores?

The process changes every year, so whatever hearsay was made a few years ago is extremely unlikely to apply.

Do the best you can on the mcat regardless, no one knows how UBC does its selection post interview and how the mcat plays a role or not in any of the sites. No one.

At any rate, I know people with low scores who got into other sites as well. The 2 people I know who got into NMP this year actually have higher mcat scores than many I know at vfmp, so it's not some hard and fast rule.

As someone who spent 6 years at UNBC, did research in the NMP I tell you the following

- It took me multiple attempts to get in, I was not let into the NMP when I had a poor MCAT score (26 first write, 32 second)

- I know SEVERAL (8-10) people who have gotten into the NMP over the last few(3) years With MCAT scores ~22-27 (Believe me if you want or not, I know them in real life and they are nice, sociable people who probably killed their interview)

- Maybe you can get into the other sites with scores like this too? Regardless having a higher score will help but maybe isn't totally necessary if your rural score makes up for it

Also for the past few years (not sure if also in 2015 cycle) they used to send out NORTHERN ONLY interview invites to people who didn't make the original TFR cutoff but were close and had extensive rural experiences..... UBC admissions is not a transparent system

As someone who spent 6 years at UNBC, did research in the NMP I tell you the following

- It took me multiple attempts to get in, I was not let into the NMP when I had a poor MCAT score (26 first write, 32 second)

- I know SEVERAL (8-10) people who have gotten into the NMP over the last few(3) years With MCAT scores ~22-27 (Believe me if you want or not, I know them in real life and they are nice, sociable people who probably killed their interview)

- Maybe you can get into the other sites with scores like this too? Regardless having a higher score will help but maybe isn't totally necessary if your rural score makes up for it

Also for the past few years (not sure if also in 2015 cycle) they used to send out NORTHERN ONLY interview invites to people who didn't make the original TFR cutoff but were close and had extensive rural experiences..... UBC admissions is not a transparent system

Interesting about the northern only interview invite part.

As for the mcat, I know just as many people with sub 27 scores who got into vfmp and SMP over the last 2 years.. So it happens

The process changes every year, so whatever hearsay was made a few years ago is extremely unlikely to apply.

Do the best you can on the mcat regardless, no one knows how UBC does its selection post interview and how the mcat plays a role or not in any of the sites. No one.

At any rate, I know people with low scores who got into other sites as well. The 2 people I know who got into NMP this year actually have higher mcat scores than many I know at vfmp, so it's not some hard and fast rule.

Oh... I wouldn't say that no one knows what goes into selection...

After all... It's not just faculty and staff involved in admissions...

But I will add that doing your best is essential. if you can get an interview that is a MAJOR part of your selection criteria.

Oh... I wouldn't say that no one knows what goes into selection...

After all... It's not just faculty and staff involved in admissions...

But I will add that doing your best is essential. if you can get an interview that is a MAJOR part of your selection criteria.

Hey, what do you mean by that if you can get an interview that is a major part of your selection criteria? Are you referring to re-applicants who interviewed the previous year? 

Hello,

I think they mean that how well the interview goes is a major factor on whether or not you will get accepted in the end.

For example, perhaps a low MCAT score can be offset by an amazing interview

That is correct.

Getting an interview equates roughly to a coin flip in terms of number of seats available to number of interviewees. So... Doing well in the interview helps your chances of overall success. Plus, the interview is worth a large portion of your post interview score, which is what gives you your global rank.

Hello,

I think they mean that how well the interview goes is a major factor on whether or not you will get accepted in the end.

For example, perhaps a low MCAT score can be offset by an amazing interview

That is correct.

Getting an interview equates roughly to a coin flip in terms of number of seats available to number of interviewees. So... Doing well in the interview helps your chances of overall success. Plus, the interview is worth a large portion of your post interview score, which is what gives you your global rank.

Thanks for clarifying. This is of particular interest to me since I was rejected post interview last year. I had an ABOVE average interview (really do not think it could have went any better) but a poor MCAT score (25-27 range). Since everyone was saying how important the interview is, I was hoping that it would offset my MCAT score but apparently not. I was also over the Total file review by 5-7 points to secure the interview in the first place. I keep thinking about if it was my MCAT that held me out (most probable), references, essay or a combination. The uncertainty of not knowing is what stings the most. 

Thanks for clarifying. This is of particular interest to me since I was rejected post interview last year. I had an ABOVE average interview (really do not think it could have went any better) but a poor MCAT score (25-27 range). Since everyone was saying how important the interview is, I was hoping that it would offset my MCAT score but apparently not. I was also over the Total file review by 5-7 points to secure the interview in the first place. I keep thinking about if it was my MCAT that held me out (most probable), references, essay or a combination. The uncertainty of not knowing is what stings the most. 

As someone with a lower MCAT score as well, I understand that that totally sucks. Hopefully you had the chance to re-write this summer, I'm sure it'll work out for you with a better MCAT. 

Yeah this sucks. When I got rejected I had below average interview so I knew what to work on......

Archived