Premed 101 Forums

Essay

• 2 weeks later...

thanks :) what do you guys think about using contractions? I know it's not very professional or formal but it'll reduce the character count

I agree with rella12. I think using contractions might be the opposite of helpful. The committee wants to see clear, concise writing, and using contractions sort of suggests you weren't able to do that.

Just keep reading your essay over and over and hone it down. 

Stay away from contractions, it looks juvenile and unprofessional. Less is more - the committee does not want to hear you ramble. However, reducing the amount of words you're using should not take away from what you are trying to say. My advice is to write out what you want to say, without counting characters. See where you're at, how much you need to trim, and edit/re-word/move things around. Have someone look over it for you and make suggestions. Keep working at it until you've ensured that you're saying what you want to say in a clear and coherent manner (and of course, you're within the character count limits). It's tough and takes some work but it's possible!

Archived