Premed 101 Forums

In-Province Mcat Requirements?

I think there may not be an exact answer, but does anyone have information or suspicions as to what the minimum MCAT scores might be for IP applicants this year? It looks like while it used to be 8/8/8 with a min. of 25 total, they don't list any specifics anymore, and instead vaguely say that a 'score deemed to low' might be reason to throw out the application.

With fewer eligible applicants all round, does this maybe translate to 'write it but we don't care about your score'? Based on last year's stats I should get an interview with my GPA, but I'm nervous about the MCAT bit being so vague.

I think there may not be an exact answer, but does anyone have information or suspicions as to what the minimum MCAT scores might be for IP applicants this year? It looks like while it used to be 8/8/8 with a min. of 25 total, they don't list any specifics anymore, and instead vaguely say that a 'score deemed to low' might be reason to throw out the application.

With fewer eligible applicants all round, does this maybe translate to 'write it but we don't care about your score'? Based on last year's stats I should get an interview with my GPA, but I'm nervous about the MCAT bit being so vague.

See here: http://medicine.usask.ca/documents/Admissions/Admission-statistics-2014-five-year-summary.pdf

Under "Recent changes to admission criteria":

2014 - MCAT minimum score remained the same for Saskatchewan residents and Out-of-Province residents of 26 and 30, respectively, with writing sample score removed. 

Under "Admission criteria":

2) Prerequisite/MCAT Requirement:

Prerequisite courses (U of S or U of R) – minimum average of 78% or

MCAT- pass/fail – minimum accumulated score of 26 (≥ 8 in each section)

So for IP, it's still at least 8 in all section with min of 26.

• 1 month later...

That does make sense, thanks Drkenosa... I think my apprehension came from their advisement that an MCAT score deemed "too low, or inconsistent with GPA" might be reason to toss an application, before even being considered in rankings for interviews. I think you're right though that it would have to be something quite low in one or more sections (i.e. <124), or low overall so as to likely not put you in the running (considering above calculation).

• 3 months later...

just curious, i got a 506 (125,125,128,128), is that a super low score for IP or is it about average? I heard that if an applicant was applying for MD/PhD that their score better be at least a 503- making me think that a 503 was decent? I'm a non-traditional student and have no idea what fellow IP applicants scoring range is

just curious, i got a 506 (125,125,128,128), is that a super low score for IP or is it about average? I heard that if an applicant was applying for MD/PhD that their score better be at least a 503- making me think that a 503 was decent? I'm a non-traditional student and have no idea what fellow IP applicants scoring range is

Have you got an interview IV yet?

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if the CARS section is weighted higher than the other sections? or if they simply calculate using the total cumulative MCAT score?

We don't know anything in regards to how they handle MCAT. As for right now there is no minimum, but stay tuned with their website as they may change that. 

I had a friend who supposedly got rejected based on their mcat score this cycle, however I believe it was below a 490

This past year the score they rejected was at 14% percentile or below. Im not sure exactly how much that accounts for in terms of score. I do know someone who was able to get through past interviews and everything, and make the waitlist with a 487. 

This past year the score they rejected was at 14% percentile or below. Im not sure exactly how much that accounts for in terms of score. I do know someone who was able to get through past interviews and everything, and make the waitlist with a 487. 

So that would be something like 122/122/122/121? They must have had an EXCELLENT UAA I am assuming. I wonder if they got off the waitlist.

I got in with a 21 (off the waitlist). I read somewhere in the admission guidelines that they have a hard cut off of 20. I'm not sure what that translates to for the new scoring system though. I have a good gpa and must've done well on my interview (it felt like I did, anyways - although I had doubts leading up to results like everyone else!)

I just got my MCAT score today and got 502 (124,127,124,127). I had booked an additional exam for August but am not sure if I want to risk doing worse. But the equivalent of 7s in two sections wouldn't have met the old requirement and I am sure that more people will be applying this year. Any advice on whether I should rewrite?

I just got my MCAT score today and got 502 (124,127,124,127). I had booked an additional exam for August but am not sure if I want to risk doing worse. But the equivalent of 7s in two sections wouldn't have met the old requirement and I am sure that more people will be applying this year. Any advice on whether I should rewrite?

My two cents would be not to re-write this summer. You're probably okay (at least for SK) with that total and with none of your section scores being below the old 7. Remember, it's only worth 20%, and you're likely only realistically looking at an increase of a couple points (if anything) with a re-write in a month. Looking at this site can make a person feel like a 502 is shitty, but it's not that bad! Definitely competitive for uSask.

I'm going to echo what sunny has already said and say do not write the MCAT again in August. The only way I would support the idea of writing the MCAT again is if you have already been studying consistently, and (perhaps more importantly) you are score consistently higher on practice exams.

I was admitted to the CoM for this fall with an MCAT of 493; however, my UGAA -- which I am not entirely sure what it is as I applied as a graduate student -- likely compensated for it marginally. Lastly, you are more than an MCAT score, and if your average is higher than 80 percent, I suspect you would be offered an interview. Ultimately it is the interview that is the big "make-or-break" factor.

Thanks sunny and scorbix. I think that I will take your advice and try to enjoy the rest of the summer. I am just worried because so many people here seem to score between 506 and 517 and then my undergraduate and post graduate work has been done in the humanities rather than the sciences and I am worried that they will factor this in. If they just look at the UGAA % I think I stand an acceptable chance.

Congrats to both of you in your successful applications this year and I appreciate the input. 

I'd say that you should re-write only if you know you can get a better score. Also depends on your gpa and how strong you believe your interview skills are. With a good gpa, there's a good chance you'll get an interview, but if you want to ensure getting an interview, study hard all summer and rewrite. But from my own mistakes - I wouldn't rewrite unless you can commit to studying all summer... I tried to wrote while working and it never did me any good... Have you applied before?

I have a Undergraduate GPA of 88 and a Master's and one year left for a Doctorate, so I don't know how they will calculate the marks. I should mention however, that the three degrees are entirely humanities focused. I think my interview skills ar alright and am confident that they will even stronger with a lot of MMI-specific practice. I haven't ever applied to Med School and would need to practice that style of interview prior to.

Archived