Premed 101 Forums

Official Casper Sim Score Thread

Hi,

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who have done the free sample CASPer SIM test so that we can share our percentile score result.  

Since Mac is transparent about their pre-interview formula, and CASPer SIM was created by former CASPer assessors, it would be nice to see if there is any correlation between an applicant's CASPer SIM scores and receiving an interview invite later on down the road.  

I recognize there are other factors like GPA and MCAT CARS score but for those of us without sky high GPA and MCAT scores, if we get an invite, it would be because our performance on CASPer was above average.

I'll start..... My CASPer SIM %Score = 34.7   :(

Hi,

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who have done the free sample CASPer SIM test so that we can share our percentile score result.  

Since Mac is transparent about their pre-interview formula, and CASPer SIM was created by former CASPer assessors, it would be nice to see if there is any correlation between an applicant's CASPer SIM scores and receiving an interview invite later on down the road.  

I recognize there are other factors like GPA and MCAT CARS score but for those of us without sky high GPA and MCAT scores, if we get an invite, it would be because our performance on CASPer was above average.

I'll start..... My CASPer SIM %Score = 34.7   :(

Don't bother with this

A 4 station casper test is not reliable

It is also not ethical for these "former CASPer assessors" to now be using that as a credential to make money off people

There is literally no admission process to be a CASPer assessor - and I won't say more than that as we're not supposed to talk about the process very much - but please do not think of that as a credential. And even if they did do it, you have no way of proving it. 

Don't bother with this

It is also not ethical for these "former CASPer assessors" to now be using that as a credential to make money off people

There is literally no admission process to be a CASPer assessor - and I won't say more than that as we're not supposed to talk about the process very much - but please do not think of that as a credential. And even if they did do it, you have no way of proving it.

Looks like we are in the same class.

Practising for CASPer isn't any different than the AAMC or the NBME using their credentials to sell "official" practice exams to students who are looking to get practice and a feel for the exam. The AAMC and NBME are making money off their test takers.

I can only speak for myself but I know it was nice to have practiced on full length CASPer exams that were representative of my real CASPer test last year and it made the difference between getting an interview and not getting one.

Yes but there is clearly a difference between an in-person evaluation and one conducted through words on a computer screen.

Well, yes. But there are limited time and resources, so Mac uses this as one aspect of their evaluation. I'm sure they've done studies that correlates CASPer performance to performance as a physician, or else they wouldn't use it.

I'm not sure if ANYONE can just be a CASPer assessor - they probably have to go through some form of selection to ensure they would do a good job.

Nope lol 

Looks like we are in the same class.

Practising for CASPer isn't any different than the AAMC or the NBME using their credentials to sell "official" practice exams to students who are looking to get practice and a feel for the exam. The AAMC and NBME are making money off their test takers.

I can only speak for myself but I know it was nice to have practiced on full length CASPer exams that were representative of my real CASPer test last year and it made the difference between getting an interview and not getting one.

We are! :)

Just because the AAMC and NBME do this does not make it ethical. I am hugely against having to pay for practice materials because of the well-studied socioeconomic barriers this imposes. Strictly speaking, these companies do not need to be selling these exams to stay afloat. It's simply extra revenue for them, and it's baffling that there isn't greater outrage about this. 

With regards to CASPer, I'm actually surprised that the people selling these exams are recent McMaster grads -  this is not what Mac's philosophy would endorse and it's sort of painful to see people using credentials to further SES barriers to success, when we study barriers like this heavily throughout professional competencies as i'm sure you know. Very ironic and disappointing coming from Mac grads, but whatever.

Make the practice available to everyone. There isn't even evidence that practicing a test like this will improve outcomes. It could make you sound rehearsed or formulaic. But again, whatever - everyone is different.

As far as grading, there is actually no selection process for it apart from a commitment to participate in the process ethically. Yes, medical students participate in grading but this is because its important to have all members of a medical school select future candidates; physicians, researchers, administration and community members included. And since a different person marks each station of your CASPer, you tend to need medical students to make the grading feasible. It's actually better for you because it maximizes the reliability of your score and keeps the test-retest variance nice and low. 

As far as grading, there is actually no selection process for it apart from a commitment to participate in the process ethically. Yes, medical students participate in grading but this is because its important to have all members of a medical school select future candidates; physicians, researchers, administration and community members included. And since a different person marks each station of your CASPer, you tend to need medical students to make the grading feasible. It's actually better for you because it maximizes the reliability of your score and keeps the test-retest variance nice and low. 

In regards to grading: I believe they might actually be graded by a 3rd party this year because both Mac and Ottawa require it. From the CASPer website:

"Each section in your CASPer test is scored by a unique rater, making the CASPer score a robust measure made up of many independent impressions of you.

Raters are trained to ignore test-taker errors in spelling, and grammar.

Each rater completes a training session and certification before they are permitted to score CASPer responses. Furthermore, raters do not have access to any of your personal information, except if it is explicitly provided in your response."

In regards to grading: I believe they might actually be graded by a 3rd party this year because both Mac and Ottawa require it. From the CASPer website:

"Each section in your CASPer test is scored by a unique rater, making the CASPer score a robust measure made up of many independent impressions of you.

Raters are trained to ignore test-taker errors in spelling, and grammar.

Each rater completes a training session and certification before they are permitted to score CASPer responses. Furthermore, raters do not have access to any of your personal information, except if it is explicitly provided in your response."

Yeah I read that, but we'll see

In my opinion, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a third party to mark it because part of the reason doctors/students/ would participate is so the selection reflects the actual professional and not some random prometric people, but we'll find out soon enough 

Don't bother with this

Well the sample is only a few stations but they also have paid tests that range from 4 stations to full length which is 12 stations.

Anyhow, a friend of mine (who is a first year med student not at Mac) completed the sample CASPer SIM test and got their %score back .... 80.3 !!!!!!!!!!  I wish that was my score :(

I got 15th percentile on mine.... LOL. I didn't say anything out of the ordinary and I completed all the answers, which I'm sure warrants higher than a 15. I've sent my casper stations to people in mac med and none of them have said my answers were remotely that bad.

Consider that there's financial incentive for them to give low marks since that means you'll buy more tests. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a random number generator (why would they pay somebody to actually read through practice answers when they're all free?). If they actually have someone reading the answers they probably give intentionally low marks to good casper writers, since they'll do well on casper regardless of their practice and this benefits the company since they can brag about their mac acceptance statistics (which was around 92% if I remember correctly, with a lot of other schools like Harvard being close to 100%).

I got 13.5th percentile on mine.... LOL. I didn't say anything out of the ordinary and I completed all the answers, which I'm sure warrants higher than a 13.5. I've sent my casper stations to people in mac med and none of them have said my answers were remotely that bad.

Consider that there's financial incentive for them to give low marks since that means you'll buy more tests. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a random number generator (why would they pay somebody to actually read through practice answers when they're all free?). If they actually have someone reading the answers they probably give intentionally low marks to good casper writers, since they'll do well on casper regardless of their practice and this benefits the company since they can brag about their mac acceptance statistics (which was around 92% if I remember correctly, with a lot of other schools like Harvard being close to 100%).

Sorry to hear about your score . I find it a bit strange because last year they were very much on the down low about CASPer SIM and I almost felt as though they went to great lengths to make it only available to few people and this year they are making it available to everyone and even providing a free sample test with a score report. On the CASPer SIM site it says that all the tests are hand scored by 3 different raters. I'm thinking the free sample test and the new paid tests are a way to increase their sample size and accuracy of the measurements as it would expose them to the general pool of CASPer test takers. Of course this is only all speculation but if you look at the FAQs it does say that there is additional CASPer SIM test content not available for individual purchase.

Re: your comment about having sent in your answers to current mac med students ..... Let me just preface and say I did the same last year. Everyone I sent answers to would tell me my answers looked good and the feedback I received was helpful but far from critical. Then I had the rug pulled out from under me and I'm glad I did because it has since been replaced with a much better rug!!! Im not saying that your mac med friends aren't critical....just saying that its human nature for us to be gentler and softer on those that we know and care for.

I got 13.5th percentile on mine.... LOL. I didn't say anything out of the ordinary and I completed all the answers, which I'm sure warrants higher than a 13.5. I've sent my casper stations to people in mac med and none of them have said my answers were remotely that bad.

Unfortunately for percentile scores, some folks like us are going to have to really mediocre scores but I don't think the scores are computer generated because another one of my med school buddies took the test and got his score back today and it was also in the 80s, so they are definitely answering the questions differently.  Strangely he said his test was only 3 stations whereas mine was 5 stations when I did it earlier this month. Perhaps, they are getting overwhelmed by all of us trying to get a free score ... lol.

I got 77.5% on my CASPER SIM FL #2 and then 82.4% on my CASPER SIM FL #3

Not sure if that at all indicates my performance for the upcoming CASPER on Thurs, but nonetheless it was nice prep to practice timing and typing and getting used to thinking on the spot!

Congrats.

I'm trying to stay positive. Did FL#2 and got my score: 43.8 :( but I ran out of time on a few of the questions and had to leave several blank. Time was really tight.

Archived