Premed 101 Forums

Anybody Applying To Both Ot And Pt

I hope I am not the only, initially, wanted to do PT but because of the GPA jump last year I am afraid that I won't be competitive. So gonna try my luck with queens and dal for PT and OT at queens, dal, UofT, and Mac. I think both professions will be satisfying because I'm intrigued by rehabilitation therapy and don't really have a preference if that makes sense? Especially, because i volunteered in hospitals and old houses this year which made me have an appreciation for long term care rather than my previous background of sports related injuries that made me lean towards PT.

Anyways, just wanna see who else is applying to both.   

you'll find out that PT and OT are two very different professions when you get into the progam even through they are both rehab therapy. i suggest you do set your heart on one before applying. i'm seeing a handful of OT friends who came in simply as back ups to PT, they aren't enjoying it.

I believe you can love both professions. I have work experience related more to OT and I love it. However, when I shadowed a PT, I loved it as well. Even though they are different, there is a small overlap and I do not believe that you will necessarily be unhappy doing either. I say this because, I have met people who are absolutely convinced they want to pursue a certain profession until they get into the program or better yet complete it and realize they don't love it as much as they thought they would. Also, OTs can work in such diverse areas that it makes it more appealing and easier to switch work settings should u not enjoy one. PT is quite specific it what you do. Other things to consider are your long term goals. If you want to start a private practice one day, PT will be more favorable. 

Yes we shadow and volunteer to get a feel of the profession but that is nothing compared to doing the actual work. Apply to both but not because one is back up to the other. If you have ur heart set on one and are not interested in the other then stick with one. But if you could see yourself working in both fields, why limit yourself? Besides you would be increasing your chances of getting in if you applied to both. And since ORPAS charges the same for applying to both, why not? lol

I always wanted to be in the healthcare field growing up. However, it took quite a while to decide where I wanted to end up. Honestly, I would be happy with either PT or OT. I do not think I need to choose one per se but I would prefer one slightly over the other. Kinda like having kids hehe. jk

haha thanks for the reply. Yeah i'm on the same page as you laudable, yeah although the scope of the two professions is quite different, OT allows for variation in terms of where you can work. Also you are correct logically speaking, since the price is same for both in why not apply to both! 

Archived