Premed 101 Forums

Interview Conflict With U Of T?

Both schools are holding their last set of interviews on April 10th. If we were to indicate our unavailability on this day on the applicant response form to be safe would this decrease the chance of being invited to interview since we would only be available for 2 out of the 3 days?

Both schools are holding their last set of interviews on April 10th. If we were to indicate our unavailability on this day on the applicant response form to be safe would this decrease the chance of being invited to interview since we would only be available for 2 out of the 3 days?

Where did you find the interview dates for McMaster? 

I'm wondering if I should let Mac know too now. How early would U of T inform you of your interview? (ie. would they let you know early enough that you could switch to an earlier date if possible or do they only allow switches to later interview dates?)

And what did you write for the reason you can't attend that day? Possible interview conflict with another program you're applying to?

I wouldn't worry unless it comes up, considering you said it's an April date that conflicts, and UofT says that those will be going to student not in Ontario, and Mac gives 90% of their interviews to ON residents, it's probably going to be a rare conflict

Not sure if they changed things this year but based on experience from last year:

I'm wondering if I should let Mac know too now. How early would U of T inform you of your interview? (ie. would they let you know early enough that you could switch to an earlier date if possible or do they only allow switches to later interview dates?)

And what did you write for the reason you can't attend that day? Possible interview conflict with another program you're applying to?

They informed us 2 weeks prior to your interview, and you can only move to a later date. If you got the April date and had a conflict you'll have to cancel one of them. Yea reason is conflict with another interview, they know people apply everywhere and it won't hurt your chances lol.

I wouldn't worry unless it comes up, considering you said it's an April date that conflicts, and UofT says that those will be going to student not in Ontario, and Mac gives 90% of their interviews to ON residents, it's probably going to be a rare conflict

I'd still inform Mac. If I remember correctly you can't change your date after you submit the form for Mac. I interviewed on the April date at UofT and still saw a significant number of Ontario people

Not sure if they changed things this year but based on experience from last year:

They informed us 2 weeks prior to your interview, and you can only move to a later date. If you got the April date and had a conflict you'll have to cancel one of them. Yea reason is conflict with another interview, they know people apply everywhere and it won't hurt your chances lol.

I'd still inform Mac. If I remember correctly you can't change your date after you submit the form for Mac. I interviewed on the April date at UofT and still saw a significant number of Ontario people

Do you think we should do that  even if we don' think we'll ever get 2 interview? My first year was awful so I've got a 3.78 OMSAS GPAfor Mac so I figured it would be too presumptuous to submit the form? Would they (or UofT) be understanding if we said we really didn't expect to get interviews at both? 

Do you think we should do that  even if we don' think we'll ever get 2 interview? My first year was awful so I've got a 3.78 OMSAS GPAfor Mac so I figured it would be too presumptuous to submit the form? Would they (or UofT) be understanding if we said we really didn't expect to get interviews at both? 

Yes, do that anyways since regardless of whether you check off availability or not you still have to submit the Mac form. For UofT it's not a matter of understanding and slotting you into an available time, it's a logistical matter in the sense that there are physically no more interview spots left. They're not going to run a circuit just for 1 or 2 people lol

Not sure about the Mac side of things, never got past the file review there

Wait until you get an interview from one before you email them. I had a friend who had a conflict between her two interviews and neither would budge, so she cancelled her Mac interview.

Oh haha I was definitely not about to email them now, I meant in the unlikely case I had an interview at both (which I'm aware isn't going to happen) if one would be accommodating. I'm completely shocked they won't acutally. That's so terrible that they wouldn't switch the date for your friend though. I hope they got in at UofT!

Ok, I guess I should because I'm apparently considered Ontario geography for Mac, but my OMSAS address is another province so I'm in that small group would could theoretically get the April interview  UofT according to what their website says.  I didn't want to cause inconviences for people who have real confirmed reasons for not attending a certain date, but I guess it's best to play it safe

This is putting the horse before the cart. Get an interview for one school and then advise the other school you can not do that day. No point in stressing. This has happened to many people before.

"Due to complex nature of our interview process, it is not possible to change interview dates or times once the schedule has been completed." - McMaster. Assuming you do get an interview at Mac on that day it's quite likely you won't even know if you've been rejected from U of T until late March.

Isn't April 10th within the final exam window for universities? I assume you'd just have to arrange to write the final either earlier or later on if you had an exam and interview on the same day. Would still kinda suck, but certainly well worth it for an interview.

A lot of interview dates are in early April this year because of the Easter long weekend falling on the last week of March. It kind of sucks with exams, but hopefully not too many people have conflicts!

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this thread post-McMaster invites to actually ask the original question that was posed. I'll be interviewing at McMaster on April 10, and I live outside of Canada....which means that, in the extremely unlikely scenario that I get an interview from U of T (my GPA is abysmally low for them), I may actually have the conflict described in this thread. Do you think I should preemptively contact U of T to inform them that I have a conflict April 10, explaining something like, "I read your website and saw that you plan to interview candidates from outside the region on that late date, so I wanted to let you know that I am unavailable"? Thanks so much for the advice and sorry if this question seems redundant!

EDIT: I went ahead and emailed U of T about my conflict (obviously prior to them sending out their interview invitations). They were very, very receptive. I called their admissions office to ask them what to do and they said "don't worry at all about seeming presumptuous - information about availability is always helpful for us." 

Archived