Premed 101 Forums

When/how Many Times You Take The Mcat & Apply

Hi everyone,

I wanted to take the MCAT this summer, but not apply until 2017 as I did poorly first year and need that year to be dropped (I am currently in 2nd year). I am just wondering if it matters how long ago you took the MCAT (I know that is has to be the 2015 MCAT) matters? Also, does U of C med look at how many times you apply? I know this is thinking far ahead, but I am more than willing to apply multiple times, but I'm not sure if each consecutive application has a decreased chance.

Thanks! 

You shouldn't have any difficulties taking the MCAT this summer and applying next year. Plenty of people apply to medical schools with MCAT that is 2-3 years old.

I also don't believe the number of times you apply has any significant bearing on how you're evaluable. However, I believe that if you take the MCAT multiple times, UCalgary will take a look at all of them, so you can't just keep on writing until you get lucky with your scores. 

As far as I am aware, you can apply to all Canadian schools as many times as you want and each application is considered a "fresh start" unless you manage to get yourself red-flagged and blacklisted. U of Ottawa is the only school that I know will only interview candidates up to a maximum of 3 times.

TL;DR: At U of C they don't take into account how many times you have applied. So previous unsuccessful attempts shouldn't mean you have a decreased chance.

There are apparent and unapparent ups and downs for retaking...

Naturally since there's less of a hindrance on retakes even getting a few points above is worthwhile. 

The problem is when you retake so many times but don't improve your score ... yeah you can still choose your highest one but when they release scores to send the schools receive them all. Even if it objectively is X mark.... someone that takes the exam, say >5 times and didn't improve at all... probably demonstrated that they maxed out, haven't learned their lesson, or just have poor judgement of study habits and projected potential. That will obviously look worse on subjective assessment of scholarly qualities. 

Regardless.... try to keep your rewrite numbers low even if there isn't a problem .... it costs time and money and both are wasted if you didn't improve.

Good luck,

- G

I don't think that they look at  how many times you write the MCAT that seriously.

Honestly. Write it until you get the best VR/CARS you can manage. It's a number that plugs in to your application's pre-interview score.

The worst that can happen is that at U of C they *might* score you less high on the 10% subjective score.

There is literally no specific place to dock you for the number of times you write it:.

P.s. I believe that reapplying can only be a good thing. I can't say for sure but that's my hunch. As long as you're improving....
Each year I've applied, my pre-interview score has steadily increased.

It doesn't happen magically, you have to actually be improving as a person, but I have yet to suffer negatively as a reapplicant. I just keep getting closer.

Archived