Premed 101 Forums

Days Off During Rotation

shimshim

Basically you are supposed to work at least 9-5 Monday to Friday for all clinical rotations.

In Gen surgery, I worked from 6h30-19h30 Mon-Friday with calls during the weekends.

In obs-gyn, if you happen to do 2-3 consecutive night shifts, you will get the next day off. But if you are just doing a evening call, let's say from 17h-24h, you are still working the next day!  :)

But if you have any medical or personal reasons to miss a day, let the residents and the stuff know in advance, and you can always take days off! In order to pass your rotation, you need to complete at least 75% of your mandatory days though :P

Can some one tell me about days of during rotations. 

Also what does on call mean, do we have next day off

Basically you are supposed to work at least 9-5 Monday to Friday for all clinical rotations.

In Gen surgery, I worked from 6h30-19h30 Mon-Friday with calls during the weekends.

In obs-gyn, if you happen to do 2-3 consecutive night shifts, you will get the next day off. But if you are just doing a evening call, let's say from 17h-24h, you are still working the next day!  :)

But if you have any medical or personal reasons to miss a day, let the residents and the stuff know in advance, and you can always take days off! In order to pass your rotation, you need to complete at least 75% of your mandatory days though :P

In Ontario for instance you are allowed a number of professional development days that you can use for whatever you want as a resident.

The rules for call are quite fixed - it is written into the contracts. Makes sense - as you can imagine there is a lot of stress around call so a greater need to clarify rules. Things like when you are off, the max number of call shifts, home call vs in house call are all covered.

Start and end time on a particular rotation is as NLengr rightly points out is highly variable :)

Ok So my Dilemma is that I need to just have two hours from 9 to 11 am off, so I go for my Citizenship interview. 

Can I just tell my Co-Resident, would you think they will be ok with this. ]

I am going to do GI rotation. 

Also I am coming from USA so I am not sure, here in USA you get 4 days off. 

I just want 2 hours off nothing more so I go and do my interview at the Citizenship Office. I can be back at 11am again. It litteraly takes 10 mints, just in and out of the office. 

Yes, there is no problem!

Are you a medical clerk? My previous post was concerning medical clerks.

Just let your residents know in advance, and there should not be a problem. You have a valid reason!

IN Gen surg, I let my resident knew a week in advance. On the day of my medical appointment, he still asked me to do consultations at the ER...So it might be normal that your residents will forget your absence, remind them kindly! :)

Ok So my Dilemma is that I need to just have two hours from 9 to 11 am off, so I go for my Citizenship interview. 

Can I just tell my Co-Resident, would you think they will be ok with this. ]

I am going to do GI rotation. 

Also I am coming from USA so I am not sure, here in USA you get 4 days off. 

I just want 2 hours off nothing more so I go and do my interview at the Citizenship Office. I can be back at 11am again. It litteraly takes 10 mints, just in and out of the office. 

Yes, there is no problem!

Are you a medical clerk? My previous post was concerning medical clerks.

Just let your residents know in advance, and there should not be a problem. You have a valid reason!

IN Gen surg, I let my resident knew a week in advance. On the day of my medical appointment, he still asked me to do consultations at the ER...So it might be normal that your residents will forget your absence, remind them kindly! :)

No I am visiting resident. 

I am one of them residents on Call on all those days. Wed to Thursday. 

SO is this still ok ? would the other resident be cool with me being gone for like 1 hour at the most 2 hours. 

If there are other residents covering for you, I don't see a problem!

But let them know in advance and you have a good valid reason IMO.

What specialty are you in? If it happens to be medical specialties, there should not be a problem at all. 

No I am visiting resident. 

I am one of them residents on Call on all those days. Wed to Thursday. 

SO is this still ok ? would the other resident be cool with me being gone for like 1 hour at the most 2 hours. 

Archived