Premed 101 Forums

Carms Results 2016

I am still trying to process what is left in the second round - very scattered.

You going to go into family medicine even if you don't like the area - tough call for sure.

Very tough call. Guess I'll apply and see if I even get interviews.

Have to say possibly the hardest thing is seeing everyone around you so happy about their match (and I am happy for them!) and feeling very much alone.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's life I guess.. Got into med when I had to stop training because of shoulder injuries. And now it looks like all I can do is apply to family med (when it's dreadfully obvious from my rotations that I don't want to be a family doc!) or leave medicine behind. I'm definitely not staying over for a year to try again.

I feel you there. I will definitely not enjoy doing FM, but losing a full year and then not even being sure of even matching, that is even more dreadful.

Telling people I didn't match was the worst, so many disappointed looks.

Just so you know you're not all alone.

I feel you there. I will definitely not enjoy doing FM, but losing a full year and then not even being sure of even matching, that is even more dreadful.

I don't plan on trying again next year if I don't get anything in the 2nd round. If I were 10 years younger maybe, not anymore.

Certainly takes a toll on the motivation to finish this last rotation and study for the LMCC.

Good luck to you too!

To be fair, there still are many non-FM spots left on the table in various locations. If you are geographically limited, then this doesn't help much. But if you are able to be flexible...and knowing that programs have to fill their spots(and likely would prefer a CMG who may not have initially had interest over an IMG?) there still may be some hope.

Tough calls all around.

To be fair, there still are many non-FM spots left on the table in various locations. If you are geographically limited, then this doesn't help much. But if you are able to be flexible...and knowing that programs have to fill their spots(and likely would prefer a CMG who may not have initially had interest over an IMG?) there still may be some hope.

Tough calls all around.

Unfortunately, familial duties keep me from going to any place where IM is left. Maybe if Ottawa or Sherbrooke were available, it could work out.

I was told people usually do a masters, but isnt it too late to apply?

the 2nd iteration spots are already out?

To the OPs, I am very sorry for the carms results. CaRMS is a big lottery game, and unexpected results do come out. I hope that you will match well in the 2nd round and hang in there!

Tough calls all around.

Unfortunately, familial duties keep me from going to any place where IM is left. Maybe if Ottawa or Sherbrooke were available, it could work out.

I was told people usually do a masters, but isnt it too late to apply?

This is something you want to talk to your school about - usually strings can be pulled for this sort of thing ( a friend went unmatched last year and the faculty helped get them into an MSc program for the year and connect with a related supervisor etc).

It's in the schools best interest to help you do everything they can, to get you a match(preferably a preferred one to boot!)

Tough calls all around.

There might be non-FM spots but that doesn't mean they're the specialty we were interested in. Kinda ridiculous to build an entire application for a specialty you never considered and get letters of reference in under a week! ;)

There might be non-FM spots but that doesn't mean they're the specialty we were interested in. Kinda ridiculous to build an entire application for a specialty you never considered and get letters of reference in under a week! ;)

Oh for sure, definitely not implying anything! 

It obviously sucks - and it seems you can't see yourself doing anything other than that specialty... I do hope though that you have a conversation with your school to see if there are any amicable avenues you can take given your personal circumstances(other than leaving medicine all together! But thats ultimately your decision to make and i'm sure those close to you will respect you for it regardless). 

Oh for sure, definitely not implying anything! 

It obviously sucks - and it seems you can't see yourself doing anything other than that specialty... I do hope though that you have a conversation with your school to see if there are any amicable avenues you can take given your personal circumstances(other than leaving medicine all together! But thats ultimately your decision to make and i'm sure those close to you will respect you for it regardless). 

I went into medicine for that specialty. The remaining spots are just too far out from what I want to do unfortunately. If I were 10-12 years younger I might try again next year but at this point in my life, I need a job *now* so if not medicine I'll go work in my previous field of study. Very unfortunate but I've already talked about this with my family and they understand.

I'll apply to family med in a couple of locations but who says if I'll even get an interview since my file is very much geared towards something completely different!

I went into medicine for that specialty. The remaining spots are just too far out from what I want to do unfortunately. If I were 10-12 years younger I might try again next year but at this point in my life, I need a job *now* so if not medicine I'll go work in my previous field of study. Very unfortunate but I've already talked about this with my family and they understand.

I'll apply to family med in a couple of locations but who says if I'll even get an interview since my file is very much geared towards something completely different!

Is it possible for you to talk to your program about what can be done? I'm assuming that you had a decent shot at your home school, and if you're limited, that might be kind of a last kick at the can. IM is usually a pretty big program... so maybe more chance they will be more flexible with making just ONE more spot for you? *hugs* I am so sorry.

Is it possible for you to talk to your program about what can be done? I'm assuming that you had a decent shot at your home school, and if you're limited, that might be kind of a last kick at the can. IM is usually a pretty big program... so maybe more chance they will be more flexible with making just ONE more spot for you? *hugs* I am so sorry.

I applied to a much smaller specialty than IM so I really don't see any chance of adding 1 spot. Sucks but life will go on. And whether I get FM or leave medicine I'll have much better hours (yeah not a reason but I guess it's a positive).

Hi Psychoswim, 

I applied to a much smaller specialty than IM so I really don't see any chance of adding 1 spot. Sucks but life will go on. And whether I get FM or leave medicine I'll have much better hours (yeah not a reason but I guess it's a positive).

I wasn't a fan of FM either but you can do SO MUCH with it. You dont even have to do FM with it. There's a ton of +1s and you can also just surgical assist. It's $120/hour in Newfoundland. 

Some FM docs just work in the Psychiatric Assessment Unit full-time.

I wouldn't discount FM. It opens a door to almost anything. Don't forget you can also switch into your desired specialty (if possible)

Congrats to everyone that matched! And just wanted to throw out a few words to those that did not match. The feeling really sucks, but, don't beat yourself up. It's the nature of this carms process that shafts people - doesn't necessarily reflect on who you are per se. Keep your eyes on the prize and get ready for the next steps. My friend who went unmatched last year (in first and second round) kept his head up and now matched to the same competitive surgical specialty yesterday. It was a year from hell for him, but in the end he got what he wanted. So don't lose hope.

Best wishes!

if you are going to accept a spot in round 2 realize that some provinces like ontario prohibit switching out in the first year, while people who matched in round 1 get to do it in 6 months. This will make transferring very difficult since all of the good spots will be gone by the time you get to do it. Then you will be stuck.

Sitting the year out to try again is a serious option. Only take something in round 2 if you are sure that you are 1. out of options and 2. ok with the field.

Bittersweet match for me. I matched to my coveted specialty in an amazing, amazing program but I am devastated that I have to move. Having a real hard time just coping with that fact, let alone having to start making arrangements...

#firstWorldProblems

I'd like to share some more advice about being in the unenviable position of not matching.

Don't bet on internal transfers if you are still interested in the field to which you failed to match. 

If you are in a situation where you must take a residency spot in round two but still want to transfer internally, make sure you match to a school that has a residency program of interest. However, matching to the second round limits your opportunities to transfer. I can't stress this enough.

If you are still set on the field you initially wanted, or are entirely uninterested in what is available in the second round, I would recommend improving your application for next year and also applying to a safety that year in the first round, just in case you have to depend on it, and because you would be eligible for transferring in the first six months of residency. Get involved in projects that are within your field of interest, with staff members who are able to get your foot in the door. Avoid projects in tangentially-related fields.

Don't think there's something inherently wrong with you either. The match is needlessly bureaucratic and obstructive, and good people get screwed every year. When I went unmatched the thought of me having a red flag kept going through my mind. When I investigated what did me in, it was that I chose the field late and didn't have a lot of research or connections in it, and most importantly, I could only secure one elective, so to most programs I was an unknown quantity against people who had been preparing for years and who they knew from electives and projects. 

If you match in round 2, you are accepting the scenario that you've done all you could to get where you want. If you can't accept that scenario, then consider skipping round 2.

Your school may give you advice that you might not agree with. They might want you to give up. Trust your gut. The school is ultimately looking out for their own best interest.

I'd like to share some more advice about being in the unenviable position of not matching.

Don't bet on internal transfers if you are still interested in the field to which you failed to match. 

If you are in a situation where you must take a residency spot in round two but still want to transfer internally, make sure you match to a school that has a residency program of interest. However, matching to the second round limits your opportunities to transfer. I can't stress this enough.

If you are still set on the field you initially wanted, or are entirely uninterested in what is available in the second round, I would recommend improving your application for next year and also applying to a safety that year in the first round, just in case you have to depend on it, and because you would be eligible for transferring in the first six months of residency. Get involved in projects that are within your field of interest, with staff members who are able to get your foot in the door. Avoid projects in tangentially-related fields.

Don't think there's something inherently wrong with you either. The match is needlessly bureaucratic and obstructive, and good people get screwed every year. When I went unmatched the thought of me having a red flag kept going through my mind. When I investigated what did me in, it was that I chose the field late and didn't have a lot of research or connections in it, and most importantly, I could only secure one elective, so to most programs I was an unknown quantity against people who had been preparing for years and who they knew from electives and projects. 

If you match in round 2, you are accepting the scenario that you've done all you could to get where you want. If you can't accept that scenario, then consider skipping round 2.

Your school may give you advice that you might not agree with. They might want you to give up. Trust your gut. The school is ultimately looking out for their own best interest.

Out of curiosity what did you apply to and match into? and where?

Out of curiosity what did you apply to and match into? and where?

I am in 4th year McGill and was going for emergency medicine. My faculty said that my chances of matching next year is 50% less then what I had this year. They said nobody wants "an old car who was in a parking lot of a year" vs a "new car" . Do you think  I would be less competitive as an emerg applicant next year. If so I would rather just become a family doctor 

ERguy,

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  May I ask if you are location restricted? Did you have a 2nd choice discipline or did you go all-in for EM? I heard that more than 10 didn't match @ my school.  Hope all goes well for you in whatever you decide to pursue next.

ERguy,

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  May I ask if you are location restricted? Did you have a 2nd choice discipline or did you go all-in for EM? I heard that more than 10 didn't match @ my school.  Hope all goes well for you in whatever you decide to pursue next.

I applied EM all over and only got 2 interviews in Montreal. I went unmatched

Archived