Premed 101 Forums

Carms Results 2016

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stats from Memorial U Grads - a pretty good showing
(a dude in my class posted it to our FB group not a final tally, missing about 10):

Anesthesia 4
5-year ER 1
FM 19 (11 staying in NL)
FM+ER 2
Gen Surg 3
Internal 5
Neuro 1

Neuro Surg 1
OBGYN 2
Ophtho 2
Peds 5
Psych 3
Radiology 3
Urology 2

Yes, I know of some people who did not match and I would never, ever have guessed that they would be among those who wouldn't match. =/

happens every year - there are people that don't match and you are like well that was a bad strategy and you shouldn't have done that. Then there are others were you just don't get it. I mean it just makes no sense. Applied broadly, good student, no red flags......... it happens.

Wow so all 4 of Manitoba's Radiology spots went unfilled...so could it have been the case that maybe some Rads applicants didn't apply broadly to include Winnipeg, and maybe went unmatched - but now will maybe apply 2nd iteration and match there?

Or will 4 lucky IMGs be scooping those spots up.... or maybe some CMGS who went matched from Winnipeg for a different specialty may decide to apply and go for it on a whim?

I can imagine the Winnipeg Rads program will want to fill at least 3, if not all 4 spots - I can only imagine how hard that would be on senior residents if they didn't have some people(hopefully at least semi-competent, or teachable nonetheless) filling those spots.

CaRMS can be such a mystery...but super interesting! Its essentially a giant sociology/psychology application. 

As someone from McGill who did not match (only applied to McGill + Montreal internal med) I was wondering, what happens after?

I looked at the second iteration, and none of the places left interest me. 

Any chance of doing something medically related and then reapplying to IM, or should I refocus on FM?

Meeting with an adviser tomorrow, but still lost.

Needless to say this sucks.

As someone from McGill who did not match (only applied to McGill + Montreal internal med) I was wondering, what happens after?

I looked at the second iteration, and none of the places left interest me. 

Any chance of doing something medically related and then reapplying to IM, or should I refocus on FM?

Meeting with an adviser tomorrow, but still lost.

Needless to say this sucks.

Best to talk with your advisor, but I assume you are geographically limited for personal reasons..so it may be best to talk to the IM programs that you did apply too for guidance too...  It's very tough with such a close ratio of spots for people such as yourself who have to stay in a specific city/region.

Wow so all 4 of Manitoba's Radiology spots went unfilled...so could it have been the case that maybe some Rads applicants didn't apply broadly to include Winnipeg, and maybe went unmatched - but now will maybe apply 2nd iteration and match there?

Or will 4 lucky IMGs be scooping those spots up.... or maybe some CMGS who went matched from Winnipeg for a different specialty may decide to apply and go for it on a whim?

I can imagine the Winnipeg Rads program will want to fill at least 3, if not all 4 spots - I can only imagine how hard that would be on senior residents if they didn't have some people(hopefully at least semi-competent, or teachable nonetheless) filling those spots.

CaRMS can be such a mystery...but super interesting! Its essentially a giant sociology/psychology application. 

maybe some didn't apply broadly but this year we know there were fewer applicants than actual spots - in theory we could have a 100% match for rad applicants and still have spots left open. It was just that easy of a year :)

Winnipeg HAS to fill those spots - speaking form a rad resident point of few the system for call demands residents or the system collapses. I suspect a lot of IMGs will be used - simply because again there are very little few unmatched cmg seeking those spots. But who knows - CARMS is a messy, messy thing.

Plus of course there are 10 spots in total - so actual competition form the schools.

gah - sorry to hear that :(

It's life I guess.. Got into med when I had to stop training because of shoulder injuries. And now it looks like all I can do is apply to family med (when it's dreadfully obvious from my rotations that I don't want to be a family doc!) or leave medicine behind. I'm definitely not staying over for a year to try again.

It's life I guess.. Got into med when I had to stop training because of shoulder injuries. And now it looks like all I can do is apply to family med (when it's dreadfully obvious from my rotations that I don't want to be a family doc!) or leave medicine behind. I'm definitely not staying over for a year to try again.

I am still trying to process what is left in the second round - very scattered.

You going to go into family medicine even if you don't like the area - tough call for sure.

Archived