Premed 101 Forums

Carms Results 2016

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A part of me wants to reapply next year but that is only if I can sort of guarantee myself a successful EM match. If its not likely I would rather do family medicine  

Thats a tough call - will your home school help you get research and such that you would be comfortable with doing for the year in the mean time to be more competitive?

I guess its just down to how much you want EM and risk using an extra year for it without a potential pay-off, or going straight into FM... tough. 

One year, I sat in the presentation that UofT gives to those who are unmatched. I'm very sorry to anyone who went unmatched this year, I remember from the presentation, how much hassle it is to get everything together so quickly for round two.

However, what I wanted to share was that UofT had brought in a few previous grads who went unmatched in years past and they all ended up matching to very competitive surgical specialities. Nothing was wrong with their personalities. They didn't have red flags anywhere. They all had great CVs and excellent references. It was just how the cards fell in their year. All of the students took that year off to either get a Master's, travel, do electives or even just self-reflect and they all thought that year was very very valuable for their career but also their LIFE in general. 

So in their words "I don't wish unmatching on anyone... but it doesn't have to be a bad thing".

One year, I sat in the presentation that UofT gives to those who are unmatched. I'm very sorry to anyone who went unmatched this year, I remember from the presentation, how much hassle it is to get everything together so quickly for round two.

However, what I wanted to share was that UofT had brought in a few previous grads who went unmatched in years past and they all ended up matching to very competitive surgical specialities. Nothing was wrong with their personalities. They didn't have red flags anywhere. They all had great CVs and excellent references. It was just how the cards fell in their year. All of the students took that year off to either get a Master's, travel, do electives or even just self-reflect and they all thought that year was very very valuable for their career but also their LIFE in general. 

So in their words "I don't wish unmatching on anyone... but it doesn't have to be a bad thing".

This is essential and thank you for posting it.

When it happened to me I panicked because of the debt and just ranked everything. I matched to a program and specialty I was not happy with and am still not happy with.

If there is a specialty you really want to go into, sit out round 2 and make your application stronger. If your school is trying to convince you to go into family or another field like that, you don't have to do it. Those spots will be available next year too, and probably after. 

Get what you want. I wish someone had told me it was possible then. Now I'm telling you, if you are in that position. Don't give up.

I heard many success stories like this one for surgical specialties (which are actually falling in popularity these days except for optho). Unfortunately, I want Emerg and I am not sure if that is applicable to this field. 

I also wanted EM, but I applied to FM because I knew EM was competitive. I got no interviews in EM, so I have known I was going to go in FM for a while now.

EM is very competitive right now and you may very well not get a spot next year anyway. And you can still work in the ED as a FM. It seems to me that backing FM when going for EM is only natural, because you get the opportunity to do almost the same thing (AND you can stop doing emergency shifts if you have to for any reason, you never know where life will get you...). Do you really want to risk losing a year for something that you could do anyway in FM...? Yes the +1 year is competitive, but to me it looks like EM is more competitive, at least in Quebec. (The CARMS stat show that less people apply for the +1 in Quebec then in the rest of Canada, if I remember correctly).

#firstWorldProblems

Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm 100% on board with my match (I did rank it high) and I'm glad I matched there, but I'm mourning missing the first 5 years of my first unborn niece/nephew's life, having to convert to a long distance relationship, amongst many other things. I think it's also a cultural thing... Moving away and starting over may not be so hard for some but it's really tough for me and my family/friends. It's overwhelming.

Well, if it makes you feel better, residency will fly by and you'll be able to move back there before you know it.

I hope so!

As a UofT medical student who has gone unmatched, I can say with great certainty that it was actually 10% of the class.

What he said. I have a friend in the class, who fortunately, did match.

Anyone else think that there were a lot of unfilled spots after R1? Also hearing of a lot of unmatched applicants. Seems as though it was just a bit of bad luck/circumstances?

What he said. I have a friend in the class, who fortunately, did match.

Anyone else think that there were a lot of unfilled spots after R1? Also hearing of a lot of unmatched applicants. Seems as though it was just a bit of bad luck/circumstances?

http://carms.ca/pdfs/8eCa7eCraChU_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN

213 spots unmatched from round 1 (but im not sure if some of these spots were perhaps also from the IMG round 1 iteration and carried forward also...so CMGS wouldn't have had access to them in their parralell round 1).

-About 70 spots in French speaking quebec(excluding McGill, assuming that leftover McGill spots are fair game for English).

-120/213 were family medicine spots (mix bag of rural spots in various provinces, but still quite a few spots in big cities also)

Other random points:

-13 IM spots in Saskatchewan

-Manitoba has quite a few spots across multiple specialties(Makes one wonder what the % match rate of Manitoba grads is to their own local residencies...or if a sizeable amount leave the province for residency training).

Memorial's FM program last year filled all of their spots last year. This year they have 9 spots unfilled. 

The graduating class match 22 to FM and 2 to FM+ER in NB. Of those 22, only 9 stayed to do FM residency at Memorial. 

That stings a little I think and definitely increased their unfilled spots. 

Memorial's FM program last year filled all of their spots last year. This year they have 9 spots unfilled. 

The graduating class match 22 to FM and 2 to FM+ER in NB. Of those 22, only 9 stayed to do FM residency at Memorial. 

That stings a little I think and definitely increased their unfilled spots. 

To be fair, it takes special people keenly interested to commit to northern nunavut and northern goose bay.. I guess the interests and availabilities just didn't line up this year for those spots.

http://carms.ca/pdfs/8eCa7eCraChU_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN

213 spots unmatched from round 1 (but im not sure if some of these spots were perhaps also from the IMG round 1 iteration and carried forward also...so CMGS wouldn't have had access to them in their parralell round 1).

-About 70 spots in French speaking quebec(excluding McGill, assuming that leftover McGill spots are fair game for English).

-120/213 were family medicine spots (mix bag of rural spots in various provinces, but still quite a few spots in big cities also)

Other random points:

-13 IM spots in Saskatchewan

-Manitoba has quite a few spots across multiple specialties(Makes one wonder what the % match rate of Manitoba grads is to their own local residencies...or if a sizeable amount leave the province for residency training).

A good number of the 2nd round spots will be IMG positions held over. A lot (though not all) of Western's remaining FM spots were IMG positions, for example.

As a UofT medical student who has gone unmatched, I can say with great certainty that it was actually 10% of the class.

25+ unmatched students at U of T?! Seriously? The undergrad medical education team must be going bananas. They freaked out when the class of 2014 had 16 unmatched, which was the highest in years at the time. They gave my class of 2015 lots of talks about backing up and to not overestimate our desirability (which actually became the motto for our class' carms match - people even got t-shirts that had that written on there). Anyway, we had 11 unmatched in 2015. And now if it shot up to 25+ unmatched, something fishy is going on. Hmm.  

25+ unmatched students at U of T?! Seriously? The undergrad medical education team must be going bananas. They freaked out when the class of 2014 had 16 unmatched, which was the highest in years at the time. They gave my class of 2015 lots of talks about backing up and to not overestimate our desirability (which actually became the motto for our class' carms match - people even got t-shirts that had that written on there). Anyway, we had 11 unmatched in 2015. And now if it shot up to 25+ unmatched, something fishy is going on. Hmm.  

I think it is more a reflection of the forced insanity of the match system than anything.

Archived