Premed 101 Forums

Stocks

moneyking

• 1 month later...

I enjoy watching BNN to get opinions and perspectives on the landscape but I don't actively trade.

Just for fun I figured it might be fun to talk about up and coming companies and/or what the next big thing might be.

I know a venture capitalist who is bullish on a scooter sharing startup. Key pieces of evidence for potential upside are of course the rise of car sharing companies as well as air bnb which is the worlds largest hotel company. Is it a fad or a future trend, either way it seems people want to share things instead of outright paying for them and the associated costs. Also scooters may not be big in Canada for obvious reasons, but as we know they are numerous in congested international cities, so the global upside is in its favour as well.

Anyone work in the tech industry and know of exciting stuff there? Or energy maybe?

If you diversify your portfolio, and go with an investment advisor stocks are really not that volatile. Yes the swing up and down but if you can ride out the downs you will make money. The key is diversity, and if you know you dont like hearing about lows go into very secure companies. 

You can read up on the Couch Potato Strategy, I think it's a reasonable option for beginner/novices. I currently a small Tangerine balanced growth portfolio (per that strategy) and is just getting my feet wet in this. I think med school is a good time to start thinking about your financial future.

Archived