Premed 101 Forums

If they're suspicious you've got references that aren't genuine (friends/family members) they may explore all three - they're looking for inconsistencies with regard to professionalism. Since references are rule in/out, could they even use that information in ranking even in a tie?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're suspicious you've got references that aren't genuine (friends/family members) they may explore all three - they're looking for inconsistencies with regard to professionalism. Since references are rule in/out, could they even use that information in ranking even in a tie?

Yeah, I definitely think the third reference would be used if there was issues with one of the references or unprofessionalism was demonstrated during the process. Ties between applicants is probably pretty rare with all the different aspects of ranking, I'm pretty sure they even go to the decimal on averages. They are pretty secretive on what a full file review includes so I have no idea if it could impact ranking or just used to exclude people.

I had all 3 of mine contacted the week after the interview pass email. I have no idea what might have raised a concern, but I almost envy you RHCP. Not knowing what is going on is tough, but the order is probably random so I wouldn't read too much into it. I still can't even imagine the logistcal nightmare phone interviews must pose for UofS lol.

I haven't had any contacted that I know of. It's only rule in/out so they can do the ranks independently and if there's a reason to rule out they could probably do that any time as long as it's before they send out an offer - i would think anyways

If I recall from the interviews, there is usually about 20-30 people placed on the waitlist. So split that into thirds, meaning anywhere between 10 or 20 people are usually offered a position off of the waitlist.

Thanks Scorbix. I'm curious if last year was an anomaly (it looked as if 117 IP passed the interview, and the waitlist was exhausted to fill 88 spots, meaning that 29 ppl declined... was this actually the case?), or if greater movement will become the norm now that everyone is applying with a degree, and potentially applying to more than one school. Will be interesting.

Is anyone aware of when offers are expected to come out? I know in years past the day has been May 15, but there's a thread in the Ontario schools section talking about May 10, and elsewhere discussing May 11. Wondering if anyone could offer any insight!

Is anyone aware of when offers are expected to come out? I know in years past the day has been May 15, but there's a thread in the Ontario schools section talking about May 10, and elsewhere discussing May 11. Wondering if anyone could offer any insight!

Just checked out the sheet that they gave out post-interview and it says May 13.

Ya but it'll be the 25th this Monday, don't they stop at some point early to figure out the rankings? I'm kinda worried that they still haven't called any of my references /:

I just wanted to say, if it helps you or anyone else worried about not having had a reference contacted yet, that I saw in last year's postings that at least one candidate had their reference contacted on May 5th. Another poster mentioned that they had heard May 5th as being the last day that adcoms was aiming to have references contacted by. Not sure of course how that timeline applies this year, but thought that might provide some comfort. Still (unfortunately) plenty of time before D-Day :).

As an aside, one of my references pulled me aside just today to tell me about the call. Really interesting to hear a bit about the process, but also kind of terrifying to be waiting, knowing that this step is so completely and utterly out of your control.

As an aside, one of my references pulled me aside just today to tell me about the call. Really interesting to hear a bit about the process, but also kind of terrifying to be waiting, knowing that this step is so completely and utterly out of your control.

Interesting! Are you willing to give any insight into what the conversations involve? I can understand if you're not willing to as I'm sure there is some confidentiality component.

Interesting! Are you willing to give any insight into what the conversations involve? I can understand if you're not willing to as I'm sure there is some confidentiality component.

Mostly discussed in broad strokes (not sure if there is some agreement to confidentiality), but I definitely would love to know more as well. Dr. Ziola's post-mmi mention of how they designed the questionnaire certainly piqued my interest.

Archived