Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy shit that email could be a suspense novel. IP passed, whew.

I guess this (19th percentile cut-off, I think ~160 IP interviewed) means there are somewhere around 130 candidates going forward, for min. 75 seats?

Edit: Oops just re-read the email, 155 IP= 125 going forward. I can do the maths real good pls accept me.

Holy shit that email could be a suspense novel. IP passed, whew.

I guess this (19th percentile cut-off, I think ~160 IP interviewed) means there are somewhere around 130 candidates going forward, for min. 75 seats?

Edit: Oops just re-read the email, 155 IP= 125 going forward. I can do the maths real good pls accept me.

How did you come up with 125?

How can you estimate this without having the interview score distribution, mean or SD ?

Or did you just take the percentage? 0.19 * 155 (using total number of IP interviewed)

I DOUBT if your estimation is accurate......

How can you estimate this without having the interview score distribution, mean or SD ?

Or did you just take the percentage? 0.19 * 155 (using total number of IP interviewed)

Little hostile there, drken. If you don't like my 'estimation', I guess just don't use the info?

I think it was a correct estimate- if you beat the 19 percentile you've ranked above 19% of the total - I don't believe you need standard deviate or the distribution to know what number is a percentile- but I could be wrong!

Probably right. Thanks

According to the post-interview email that was sent yesterday from Dr. Ziola, there was a total of 155 IP-pool applicants interviewed. Of those 155 total, the bottom 19%, equating to 29.45 is dropped (feel free to do that calculation if you have concerns). This means that there are approximately 125 IP-pool applicants left for the minimum estimated 75 available seats. None of itsalwayssunny's numbers are an estimation.

OK let's have some fun with stats!

Z score, the relationship of a score to its mean, is defined as

Z= (your score - mean) / standard deviation of population

Meaning that a z score of 0 means that your values is the mean and a positive v score is above the mean. It is very useful in comparison of data from different sets. It contains all necessary info about the mean and standards deviation.

So our z score cutoff limit of +0.19 is slightly greater than 0. This implies that the cutoff was set right above the mean score of the population or 0.5753. Meaning 57% of people failed the interview.

Our population size is 155 each only contributing one data point. The z score with a normal distribution gives us a probabilities that only 66/155 exceeded a z score of 19%. 66 people passing this is too small a number considering everything Dr. Z said.

What's more likely is that they gave us 19% as a percentile of the population. Giving us a number of 125/155 passing.

The reality is sit tight and do what you need to do until the phone rings or they send an owl or whatever....

Thanks for the info! 

Are you IP as well?

Do they keep contacting references up until the 13th? Or do they finish it much earlier? 

Yes I am In-province. From what i know, they finish earlier. Last year they contacted 2 references for everyone, and all 3 for 8 candidates. I am guessing this because they need to rank everyone , as well as screen certain applicants individually, so i think they would try to finish references asap so they have time for that.  

I wonder why three references are contacted only for a few.

Im pretty sure it's because either one of their references said something negative (which did happen last year to someone I know) or two applicants were tied in the overall ranking so they use the references and full file review to decide order.

Archived